Jefferson County Lady Patriots

DZbettin

The Lady Patriots defeated Elizabethton 59-43 in the first round of the Greene County Bank Holiday classic this morning.

The Lady Patriots outscored the Lady Cyclones 30-18 in the second half to pull away.

Ashley huff led Jefferson Conty with 23 points and seven boards. 10-14 shooting 3 blocks 3 steals

Lindsay Lyke 16 points 4-7 from 3 point

Sarah Sinard 7 rebounds 8 assist

Ashley Kyle 9 points 7 assist 4 steals

Katie Rickard 9 points six rebounds

The only negative for JC was 0 bench points. That number has to improve later in the season. Rickard was worn out today.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close game at the half (four points) was turned into a route fueled by Jeff County's outstanding transition game. Huff is some player, but she is surrounded by a solid supporting cast. They shoot, pass, run and rebound very well. Makes for a good basketball team. Cyclones lost their legs early and just did not get back on defense. Actually, Jeff County beat them up and down the court pretty much all game. Cyclones had not played a game in 13 days, and it showed. Good luck Jeff County the rest of the way.

Sounds like Jefferson County is as good as advertised. The Lady Cyclones will bounce back today and show the Pride that got them off to such a fine start.

Thirteen days is a long, long time between games, and Rikki's tender ankle couldn't have helped (no excuse, just looking for a Silver Lining :rolleyes:)

She is so Valuable to the Cyclones' cause; great in both offensive and defensive transition; but all the Lady Cyclones' legs probably went rubber today.

They'll be fine - win or lose against the Rebels. They just need to play these games, get healed and blast into Conference Play strong and HEALTHY.

As long as 13 days is, I do believe the Lady Patriots hadn't played in 10 days or more if my mind is serving me correctly. And, yes, I am too lazy to check. I was worried about the layoff. Tomorrow's game should be rather tough for the girls. But they can pull off anything if they play to their potential. I love to see them play. Great execution all around. I may have to make a trip up to Greeneville tomorrow. Hey, maybe we'll get a real treat and see Cait McMahan tear up Greeneville.... thumb

Cabrini HS 54 - Jeff Co 44

Throughout the game i never had a feeling that we would pull this one out. Cabrini was definitely not a very athletic team but they were agressive and shot the ball well and took JC out of their comfort zone.

Looks like we will get that Wilson Central/JCHS game that we thought we would - just in the losers bracket.

Final Stats-

Kyle 12

Huff 11

Rickard 8

Lyke 7

Sinard 6

Rickard Huff and Kyle all had six rebounds

Jefferson County had 19 turnovers which resulted in 18 cabrini points. The Patriots took just 33 shots in the game. and were 1 of 10 from three point range. Cabrini was 10 of 12 from free throw.

I think JC would have faired better against this team if they would have ran the court at a quicker pace and not tried to set up the high-low game every time. You can only go to the well so many times against a physical team.

The Calbrini team was physical and a lot faster than they looked. And its harder to run with them than you would think.

The "high low" wasn't the problem, it was the poor decisions the girls made when they were running it. When Huff got it at the high post, she passed it to the block whether Rickard was covered or not. That is great that Huff looks to the low block but she has to realize that when it isn't open they're are other options.

Another option she had was to reverse it to the wide open off guard (usually Kyle or Lyke) Not only would this spread the defense and allow Huff to Dive downlow, but it would also get Lyke or Kyle some "comfortable " shot opportunities where they have time to get there feet set and don't have to rush.

Maybe the girls could take a lesson from watching Mt. Juliet's team move the ball, it usually hardly touches the floor.

Jefferson has great potential, and Potts will have them ready.

Good luck Patriots.

Personally I think the Cabrini La team is very deceving. I was not really impressed with them when they destroyed South Greene and again last night against Jeff County they were not really impressive but they just got it done. They don't take many outside shots and they don't make many turnovers. I felt that Jefferson County just did not shoot the ball very well against them last night, did not look like they ever got into any type of rythyme.

I disagree halfcout, the high-low was a problem when you arent able to run it effectively. One of the coaches said after the game that it couldve been there if they couldve ran it effectively. If you make poor decisions then it's a problem. But i do agree with you that there were to many ill-advised passes down low. A countless number of them went over Huff/Rickard's head out of bounds or into the hands of a cabrini defender. I

I just believe quicker the pace you play at, the easier it would have been to wear down the cabrini team. Some of their girls were in the most athletic condition if you know what i mean. I agree Volunteer, If kyle or Lyke would have been knocking down the perimeter shots like they are capable of, that may have opened up the inside game a little more. Cabrini just parked their "big girls" (i dont mean tall) in the paint and played physical enough underneath to where JC was frustrated a bit i think.

A good showing today against WC would go along way. However, in the long run - what they learn from these games will be a lot more important than whether they win or lose.

Edited by DZbettin