Old School TN Wrestling Rivalries & Stories

WrestleSBA

Just wondering if anyone had some interesting line-ups or stories or what-not from this.

I have had the pleasure of spending some time with the Pirani brothers (Carlo, Andy, and Johnny if it helps stir the memories) and their father over the past few years and have heard some of the greatest stories about wrestlers and rivalries and families and such from TN in that time. I was thinking this might be a good topic for some of the older (no offense intended) folks on the board to share with us.

Come on guys enlighten the younger generation like myself, who believe it or not love to hear about this stuff.

Looking for rivalries, fun stories, personal laughs, toughest wrestlers, scariest wrestlers, those that just missed out, etc.

I know the stories are there so share 'em!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if anyone had some interesting line-ups or stories or what-not from this.

I have had the pleasure of spending some time with the Pirani brothers (Carlo, Andy, and Johnny if it helps stir the memories) and their father over the past few years and have heard some of the greatest stories about wrestlers and rivalries  and families and such from TN in that time.  I was thinking this might be a good topic for some of the older (no offense intended) folks on the board to share with us.

Come on guys enlighten the younger generation like myself, who believe it or not love to hear about this stuff.

Looking for rivalries, fun stories, personal laughs, toughest wrestlers, scariest wrestlers, those that just missed out, etc.

I know the stories are there so share 'em!

825501047[/snapback]

One reason I take issue with the GC haters is because I have known his style of wrestling since the early 70's when he was at Hixson. He constantly switched his line-up around. Anyone that knew anything about him knew that and still see's it today.

For instance, in 1982, Hixson had a decent team, but McCallie's was better especially in the lower and middle weights. At McCallie one evening, GC decided to move his state champ Anthony Shrader down to 185 (He won state at HW, but only weighed 190-200).

Hixson's David Copeland (yu don't remember him do you RMC?) bumped Mike Blosser up to 185 from 167 and Jonathon Smith up to HW. One reason I share this is to show how you can move a good wrestler up to win at just about any weight if the kid believes and wants it bad enough. By the way, McCallie went down in defeat by a few points and Gordon lost that chess match that night.

That was an exciting night of wrestling in a full house. thumb

soms

Wish it would go away - never have understood the point.  Especially during the cold and flu season and considering that you have already shaken hands with your opponent both before and after the match.

825550526[/snapback]

you know a lot of people try to make a big deal out of the baylor wrestlers waiting until after the match to shake their opponents and opposing coaches hands - why does that bother some - ??