HAVE OFFICIALS RUINED H.S BASKETBALL

RimRecker

I dont know about ruined but poor officiating is a problem. I sat behind the players bench in the Bledsoe, Marion game and heard on official explain his foul call when a player was boxing out. His reply was you can't put your body on a person when boxing out, the coach said do what? And the ref said and I quote "you cant put your body on another person, basketball is a non-contact sport." That makes me wonder about these guys!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think parents and other fans have made it to were refs don't want to officiate games because of all the fans yelling and at them because of calls that they make

825509987[/snapback]

We were playing tonight in a league rivalry at home. The refereeing was very lop sided with Cherokee shooting 32 foul shots to 8 for Morristown East. I noticed two of the refs and one in particular , who has ref'd quite a few of our games. The word is he has verbalized and made no bones about it that he hates our team and this has gone on for many years. He even flaunts his bad call etc. I was not aware of this until after the end of the game. I was told each team can only disqualify one ref per season. How do these guys get away with this? How do they live with themself?

Apparently he seeks out doing our games? Amazing? He actually wants to ref our games so that we will lose. We are now 11-5 and 3 of our losses were directly attributed to him. Is that fair?

Any suggestions? I feel sorry for the guy. He is way too heavy and barely makes it up and down the court . His bitterness is obviously consuming him......

The ref our team banned was equally as bad and a friend of this guy.....they are from the same neck of the woods....but I won't mention it as I am not seeking any retribution.....I really feel sorry for these guys and try to pray for them. How sad for the kids, when adults act like the kids they should be having a positive influence on? I am afraid we are producing kids with the same bitterness and anger we see manifested in such refs.

There has to be a solution to making these guys accountable?

It may not be worth playing basketball. When the ref's determine the outcome of a game, you have to ask yourself, why bother? They truly have ruined High School Basketball! Another problem is the good/fair ref's don't expose and weed out the bad guys. It is so obvious when they are making "bad calls" to influence the outcome. I say let us start a petition to "fine these" ref's and make them as accountable as everyone else.

Edited by BlMed

You can't play the games without the refs. Good or bad you have to have refs. So getting on here and bashing the refs will not do any good. You need them and until pay gets better for officals you just have to hope you get the good ones. Yes there are good ones believe it or not.

Edited by volnutt

There are some questionable refs out there as is any sport. But they are not the only aspect of the game that has changed. There are also bad players, coaches, and fans. We lost a game where four techs were called last night. A couple were questionable and the others were deserving. The point I'm trying to make is that refs are not perfect, but coaches and players are not either. A lot of players do not love the game in a way that it brings the best in them. Some just play because it makes them popular in school and in the papers. Some coaches only coach for their own glory. The players should come first in everything we as coaches do. And the same should be for refs when they call a game. The best refs are ones that look at a situation and make decisions, especially when giving techs. There are specific situations when a tech MUST be given, no matter the situation. And there are other "judgemental" calls that could be more forgiving (if a player is frustrated, refs need to make sure they are not trying to show them up, but only frustrated at themselves). Emotions will fly sometimes in heated games, but coaches must discipline their players to keep-their-cool in those tight situations so refs will not be forced to make those "judgemental" calls. I know it sounds like I'm for refs, but I am for the bettering of our treasured high school basketball in Tennessee. It's time for ALL of us (coaches, players, refs, and fans) to take our own responsibility in this situation. Coaches: discipline, Players: dedicate more to the game, Refs: have an understanding heart in "judgemental calls", and Fans: ease up on the Refs, you pay five dollars to get into the game, but you are more detrimental to your team when you nag over calls. Refs tend to not give those "fence" calls when they know fans are very hostile. To sum it up: just play the games and have FUN!!!!!! GOD Bless!!!!

:lol:

Edited by Stokomo

We were playing tonight in a league rivalry at home. The refereeing was very lop sided with Cherokee shooting 32 foul shots to 8 for Morristown East. I noticed two of the refs and one in particular , who has ref'd quite a few of our games. The word is he has verbalized and made no bones about it that he hates our team and this has gone on for many years. He even flaunts his bad call etc. I was not aware of this until after the end of the game. I was told each team can only disqualify one ref per season. How do these guys get away with this? How do they live with themself?

Apparently he seeks out doing our games? Amazing? He actually wants to ref our games so that we will lose. We are now 11-5 and 3 of our losses were directly attributed to him. Is that fair?

Any suggestions? I feel sorry for the guy. He is way too heavy and barely makes it up and down the court . His bitterness is obviously consuming him......

The ref our team banned was equally as bad and a friend of this guy.....they are from the same neck of the woods....but I won't mention it as I am not seeking any retribution.....I really feel sorry for these guys and try to pray for them. How sad for the kids, when adults act like the kids they should be having a positive influence on? I am afraid we are producing kids with the same bitterness and anger we see manifested in such refs.

There has to be a solution to making these guys accountable?

It may not be worth playing basketball. When the ref's determine the outcome of a game, you have to ask yourself, why bother? They truly have ruined High School Basketball! Another problem is the good/fair ref's don't expose and weed out the bad guys. It is so obvious when they are making "bad calls" to influence the outcome. I say let us start a petition to "fine these" ref's and make them as accountable as everyone else.

825510899[/snapback]

Sorry, but the Hurricanes lost because they had no one that could handle Anthony Wynder, not because of poor officiating. The final score of 70-57 was misleading, as the Chiefs had a 20 point lead with less than a minute to go, and one official does not make that much difference. I just wonder which of the other games you felt this man beat East in? Bradley Central, Powell, and Greenville were all 15-20 point losses as well.

It is ironic in reading your post in the fact that the past two years most teams in the area felt that the Hurricanes got favorable officiating because one of their players dad ( Simpson from last year ) was a member of the association that officiates their games.

I just bet if this fat man officiates when the Hurricanes play West Greene, Hancock County, or for that matter crosstown rival West the Hurricanes will win. It has so much to do with the competition you are playing.

:D I don't see how a referee could possibly be personally responsible for 3 of 5 losses in a season. Your team needs to play better!

As one who did not watch a high school basketball game since the mid 80's until last year, there's a whole lot of blame to pass around!

1. The players...the children...the kids, do not respect their elders or the sanctity of the game the same way they did 20 years ago. If they're not trying to secure their spot on some recruiting list, they are worried about their 'street cred'. Give me a break.

2. The parents/fans are consumed about little Johnny's future and most are convinced that he's a DI prospect. When they aren't railing on the referees, they're whining to the coach. It seems the days of supporting your team first, your kid second are long gone. Some fans think paying $5 to a game gives them the privilege of berating an official for 32 minutes.

3. The coaches are 'working' the referees more and more and being more animated on the sideline, but I'm not gonna criticize them too much. The supplement they get is very little when compared to the hours of preparation they put in. When they do happen to get a true prospect on their team, the kid is influenced by some AAU or summer team coach that is nothing more than a 'kid broker'.

4. The referees aren't compensated nearly enough to take the abuse they recieve. If we fired every referee in the state tomorrow and hired a whole new group at double the going price, how long would the line be to call a few games? I can assure you it won't be very long. Referees are like players, coaches and parents. Some are better than others. All are criticized. I have seen the odd ref that seemed more interested in the spotlight than I thought he should or 'baited' a kid or coach with a reputation into a T, but they are in the minority.

My opinion is that the high schools should use those constables and deputy sheriffs a whole lot more than they do. If profanity is used so that surrounding fans or players can hear it, remove them from the gym. Same for the coaches and players. Treat your fellow human beings the way that you would want to be treated.

:D I don't see how a referee could possibly be personally responsible for 3 of 5 losses in a season.  Your team needs to play better!

As one who did not watch a high school basketball game since the mid 80's until last year, there's a whole lot of blame to pass around!

1.  The players...the children...the kids, do not respect their elders or the sanctity of the game the same way they did 20 years ago.  If they're not trying to secure their spot on some recruiting list, they are worried about their 'street cred'.  Give me a break.

2.  The parents/fans are consumed about little Johnny's future and most are convinced that he's a DI prospect.  When they aren't railing on the referees, they're whining to the coach.  It seems the days of supporting your team first, your kid second are long gone.  Some fans think paying $5 to a game gives them the privilege of berating an official for 32 minutes. 

3.  The coaches are 'working' the referees more and more and being more animated on the sideline, but I'm not gonna criticize them too much.  The supplement they get is very little when compared to the hours of preparation they put in.  When they do happen to get a true prospect on their team, the kid is influenced by some AAU or summer team coach that is nothing more than a 'kid broker'.

4.  The referees aren't compensated nearly enough to take the abuse they recieve.  If we fired every referee in the state tomorrow and hired a whole new group at double the going price, how long would the line be to call a few games?  I can assure you it won't be very long.  Referees are like players, coaches and parents.  Some are better than others.  All are criticized.  I have seen the odd ref that seemed more interested in the spotlight than I thought he should or 'baited' a kid or coach with a reputation into a T, but they are in the minority.

My opinion is that the high schools should use those constables and deputy sheriffs a whole lot more than they do.  If profanity is used so that surrounding fans or players can hear it, remove them from the gym.  Same for the coaches and players.  Treat your fellow human beings the way that you would want to be treated.

825512352[/snapback]

ksgovols,

By golly, I think you just "nailed" it! GREAT POST...... thumb

:D I don't see how a referee could possibly be personally responsible for 3 of 5 losses in a season.  Your team needs to play better!

1.  The players...the children...the kids, do not respect their elders or the sanctity of the game the same way they did 20 years ago.  If they're not trying to secure their spot on some recruiting list, they are worried about their 'street cred'.  Give me a break.

2.  The parents/fans are consumed about little Johnny's future and most are convinced that he's a DI prospect.  When they aren't railing on the referees, they're whining to the coach.  It seems the days of supporting your team first, your kid second are long gone.  Some fans think paying $5 to a game gives them the privilege of berating an official for 32 minutes. 

3.  The coaches are 'working' the referees more and more and being more animated on the sideline, but I'm not gonna criticize them too much.  The supplement they get is very little when compared to the hours of preparation they put in.  When they do happen to get a true prospect on their team, the kid is influenced by some AAU or summer team coach that is nothing more than a 'kid broker'.

4.  The referees aren't compensated nearly enough to take the abuse they recieve.  If we fired every referee in the state tomorrow and hired a whole new group at double the going price, how long would the line be to call a few games?  I can assure you it won't be very long.  Referees are like players, coaches and parents.  Some are better than others.  All are criticized.  I have seen the odd ref that seemed more interested in the spotlight than I thought he should or 'baited' a kid or coach with a reputation into a T, but they are in the minority.

My opinion is that the high schools should use those constables and deputy sheriffs a whole lot more than they do.  If profanity is used so that surrounding fans or players can hear it, remove them from the gym.  Same for the coaches and players.  Treat your fellow human beings the way that you would want to be treated.

825512352[/snapback]

That was spoken like a true ref. Truth be known I don't think it is worth kids playing basketball in high school and referee's are a major part of the problem.

The title of this forum is self explanatory and I for one think bad ref's have ruined it. No doubt the majority of refs are quite good and honest. It only takes a few dishonest ref's with an agenda to ruin a sport.

I say , take up golf and then your performance will be the only thing that matters. Too many refs are trying to foul players and teams out to effect the outcome of the game.

For some reason some people are defending ref's even though they have surely encountered what we are saying here.

Someone mentioned treating human beings the way you want to be treated........that is exactly the point , the players are kids and deserve the best, most fair treatment. Where is the concern for the kids? I did not hear you verbalizing that once. Instead you call these same kids disrespectful of "their elders or the sanctity of the game", as if they are the "real problem".

No one is condoning treating ref's unfairly. But we are calling for accountability and a change in the corrupt status quo. Most ref's do a great job and should be applauded for their fairness.

Your entire message is basically defending ref's no matter what they do. Sounds to me that mentality is part of the problem.

some refs should jus quit and give it up ... b/c they hold grudges against certian players and teams and coaches for no reason ... u can do something bad and they will always member it get over it ... the game is to see who is more talented at a sport not who the refs like best ... ppl say no matter what kinna refs u got it depends on the players which is halfway true yes u have to have good players but u cant have refs that call it one sided .. the only way it matters if u have good players is if u have fair refs which i dont think will ever happen they all make bad mistakes sometimes and i understand that but when u make 30 or 40 mistakes a game come on :) something has to be wrong ... and if u notice when the refs see the team they wanna win has gotten a good lead they start to call a lil bit more fair but when its the 4th quater w/ 0.7 seconds left it doesnt matter try bein fair for the whole game ... but to answer the question yes refs have ruined the game ... everyone says let the kids decide it on the floor but we all know the refs are the ones who decide it so no matter how hard a team plays the refs do what they want and screw over the team they dont like ... but all i have to say is good luck to all the players and maybe ull get some refs that are halfway fair ... haha who am i kiddin good refs .. naw ... thumb

Actually, if I am not mistaken (someone please correct me if so) the officials are accountable to the schools that hire them in to ref the games.  Several years back I had contact TSSAA about two refs that were totally outrageous and I was told in addition to filing a written complaint, which I did, to let the school know since they pick from a pool of refs available for particular days.  Then the schools have it on record and know not to accept certain refs at their home games.

825510183[/snapback]

I don't know what schools have the ability to hire the refs they want, but I know that our school does not. The TSSAA just assigns them. We have no idea who is coming until they show up. Furthermore, we have no ability to "black ball" officials anymore.

You can't play the games without the refs.  Good or bad you have to have refs.  So getting on here and bashing the refs will not do any good.  You need them and until pay gets better for officals you just have to hope you get the good ones.  Yes there are good ones  believe it or not.

825510909[/snapback]

High School officials make about $70 per night. A game lasts for approximately 90 minutes. If my math is correct, that comes out to about $23 per hour. Sounds like great money to me!!!!!