HAVE OFFICIALS RUINED H.S BASKETBALL

RimRecker

Yes it is and if you read down the thread a little further you would have saw where i apologized and said that was wrong.

825515330[/snapback]

That is true. However, if I followed your suggestion you would have been banned before you ever got the opporutnity to apologize. I do agree that namecalling is very unnecessary. Usually, though, the ones who resort to it do so because they are losing the argument.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true. However, if I followed your suggestion you would have been banned before you ever got the opporutnity to apologize. I do agree that namecalling is very unnecessary. Usually, though, the ones who resort to it do so because they are losing the argument.

825515336[/snapback]

yes, that is true, and i have been a victim of that nearly every time... lol

ppl like to change my name from bigwilly to littlewilly... :rolleyes:

Getting back to the point of this topic, tonight at the Zion vs. Collinwood game there was another prime example of the ref's taking the game away from the players. Zion led throughout the entire game, and in the middle of the 3rd quarter, everything went down hill. After a few legitimate calls, the referree made the game-changing call. After calling a block on one of Zion's players, the player hit the floor with his fists (obviously mad at himself) the referree proceded to call a technical on the same player. As far as we as fans could tell, no words were exchanged between the player and the ref, and this call was definitely not a good one. After this, the referrees all seemed to team up against Zion, and the game ended up being decided by an array of free throws due to last second fouling. Point is, this game was definitely decided by the referrees, when they should have simply let the boys play. This was one of the worst officiated games I've ever attended, and if any of the referrees who called this game are reading this post, know that many people have these same feelings.

Just let the boys play, and don't take sides simply because you don't like how certain boys play or how certain coaches coach!!!

$130 a night?  Where?  For $65, my buddy gets to leave at 4:30, drive an hour, watch a little of a JV game & try to help younger officials learn, then get dressed, work a couple of games. Most nights he's dressed & out of the gym by 10P & on his way home to wife & kids already in bed. 

825513574[/snapback]

Or, around here, for $130 a night, you show up about 5:30, with the JV game already over (probably only about a 20-minute drive), games are over by 9, then you're home by 9:30. Even assuming a full hour of travel, which is very rare here, that's almost $30 an hour.

Saw something hilarious tonight in a girls game.

Girl fouls out, the scorebook signals 5 fouls like she's supposed to, the refs ignore it. The refs were the arrogant, I-can-do-no-wrong types, on top of the fact that they weren't good...so the scoreboard waited for the free throw shooter to be in the process of shooting, then he blew the horn to remind the ref that it's 5 fouls.

Ref comes over and says something to the effect of I'm in charge, you blow the horn when I tell you to blow the horn, don't make me throw you out of here, etc.

Scoreboard operator starts to say something back, ref tries to shut him up, then the ref shuts up himself long enough for the scoreboard operator to correct him on the rulebook: "Page 42 rule 16-c-3 says that a disqualified player must leave immediately..."

So the genius ref gets together with one (but not, oddly enough, both) of his partners in crime and they take about two minutes to put their heads together and realize that the scoreboard operator is right.

It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. thumb thumb

Every once in awhile, you make sense. This is one of those times.

825508982[/snapback]

It's not impossible to correct an inadvertant whistle. Put the ball back into play along the sideline or baseline close to where the error was made, and give it back to to proper team.

One official can also ask for help from another if he is not sure of the call he just made.

It takes guts to admit that you might have been mistaken, but with 3 officials on the floor, somebody should be closest to the action. and should be primarily responsible for the call, but not fully responsible due to blocked views and odd angles.

I think fans would respect officiating crews more if they occasionally admitted that they might have been mistaken, and continue play.

I also believe that a good official that works with a bad official should first try to help him or her with discussions before and after the game. If those discussions haven't improved his or her performance be mid-season (along about now), a consistantly poor official should be reported and disciplined or removed.

I would rather watch a game with 2 officials that occasionally miss a call in both directions, than a game with 3 officials in which 1 consistanly makes bad calls in 1 direction.

Edited by The Sports Guy

They are always hiring!  Its a great job if you like working in a athletic setting.  You'll have the best seats in the house.. NO EXPERIENCE necessary, all you need to excell is patience, wisdom, and some knowledge of the basketball rule book.  You'll need skin as thick as John Rockers skull, 20-20 vision in each eye including the one in the back of your head.  You'll be expected to be perfect the first day and improve.  You can attend clinics, practices and work live scrimmages, then cut your teeth on freshman and JV games, while working your way up to the varsity level.  You will encounter fans in the bleachers, coaches on the bench, and players on the court that know more, see better, and aren't the least bit shy about saying so.  Referees don;t get a lot of high fives, and don;t wait around after the game for attaboys.  A great day at the ballgame is when nobody notices you hurrying to your car in the parking lot.  True refs are the ones who chooses to officiate in the first place.  They are self confident, mentally tough, fair and unafraid of the criticism that is inevitable.  Refs accept criticism as a part of the game.  Mistakes stay with you longer than making a great block-charge call.  Business is Business but their is a heart in there somewhere.  Just trying to do a good job, a great job, and when you don't who suffers? The Kids do ! and were all in it for the kids, Right!

825513553[/snapback]

Well said! A good officials resume' should qualify him or her for Sainthood. Those guys do get more than a fair share of abuse, and usually undeservedly.

To generalize that all officials are bad, really overstates the case, but I believe that policing should come more from within the ranks of officials.

Many are obviously put into varsity action prematurely, and should be returned to Jr. Pro.

My hat is off to good officials. I just wish there were more.

Actually, if I am not mistaken (someone please correct me if so) the officials are accountable to the schools that hire them in to ref the games.  Several years back I had contact TSSAA about two refs that were totally outrageous and I was told in addition to filing a written complaint, which I did, to let the school know since they pick from a pool of refs available for particular days.  Then the schools have it on record and know not to accept certain refs at their home games.

825510183[/snapback]

First I will have to admit that I'm not sure about the policy in TSSAA.

I live on the TN/KY border, and have been broadcasting Basketball, Football, and Baseball in Kentucky for the past few years. This is my first years of broadcasting strictly in Tennessee.

KHSAA will allow a coach to list 2 officials that they wish to ban from their games each season. If they encounter a 3rd, they can either deal with it, or replace one of the names.

Essentially, since each coach in each contest could have different officials named, there would be a total of 4 officials unassignable for that game.

Hopefully most of the bad calls for that evening would be in somebody elses gym.

I'm not sure what happens if every coach in the region puts the same name on his list of 2, but logic says that the bum official has just been barred, unless he gets work outside of his region.

I wouldn't hire anyone that has been banned from his own home! Would you?

This policy would help TSSAA clean up the bottom rung of the ladder.

hey Zion fan, i was at the game last night. i'm not sure wether he cursed or not, but thats beside the point. the officials had all ready warned the players to watch their tempers(i was on floor level trust me)n a player bangs the floor and yells after being warned to calm down he deserves a technical.

I do agree that officials are spoiling the game. but it is in part the fans decision on what officials call. my freshmen year fans would ye'll wanting hand checks called. now it is hard for me to play d-fence without getting picky fouls. The main problem with the officials is trying to hard to show their authority. i agree refs need to let the game go in certain situations, but obtain control in other situations.

Hey Opperman dibs on the flags.

I'm a big cards fan @ the Grizz are wearing on me

Why are officials chosen to call your game. There may be over 200 assignments made & it's pretty hard to look at each assignment to say the official should not call this particular game. The coaches know who is coming & they have a right to scratch the official before the game. Uusally, coaches get the officials they want, at least a range of officials for the tougher games.

Officials are accountable for their actions & they are reprimanded, fined, suspended from games just like coaches. The only exception is that officials usually do not have the right of appeal like the coaches do with TSSAA. The TSSAA is consistent with it's rules & regulations & have told the coaches & officials what they will do when they cross the line.

Could they pay more, sure. Could they pay less, sure. But, the game is not bigger than itself.

Someone said that officials come to be seen, but how many of you have come to a game & seen a player than loves the environment & it's all about him. Coaches do the same thing. And guess what, have you ever seen fans that love to be seen & heard. You can go to every game and it doesn't matter who their team is playing or coaching against, and the same fan says the same ole things towards the officiating. One night he might have the worst official in the area & the next night he might have the best official. But guess what, this fan jumps on him just like anyone else, usually even before the ball is thrown up.

I don't officiate but only coach, but I love to show up at a neutral game & what the officials, coaches & fans celebrate, embarras themselves & all. When the lights turn on the game begins, something happens to us all, especially if you have an interest in the ball game. Have you have been to a football game & UT & just watched the fans?

Someone the other night said that when John Clougherty(sp) shows up at an SEC or other game, they immediately have an interest & an argument in the game. He hasn't made a call & is considered one of the best officials in the country whether you like him or not. Usually that means he's been around a long time.

Officials in College & high school are critiqueed througout the season & get reports on their games every night. They do get penalized but someone said when you get 95-96% of your calls right, that's great in most everything else except throwing a bomb.

Have fun & enjoy the season! Wait till tournament time starts & you'll see the heat turn up on the players, coaches & officials. Oh, and let's not forget the FANS!