Soddy Daisy Vs. Hixson

HotSauce11

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya and boy was it a good one. fans were fired up, especially throughout the closing 2 minutes when hixson was leading by 4... eventually soddy cut the lead down in about 30 secs.

hixson dominated the game, except for the final two minutes... on all cylinders: rebounding, offensive, and defensive... free throw shooting was what cost hixson the game, especially down the stretch.

the referee calls were a little quirky... but all in all it was called both ways.

i knew that the game would be won on the rebounding and free throw shooting fronts... and according to my outlook, hixson would've won, perhaps, if they'd continued the trend.

final score

soddy 42

hixson 41

but the real story is the occurence after the game! this will get most of the talk on coacht. following the game, say 5 minutes after time expired, russell mcneil and brother (as i was told) escalated to the top of the hixson side bleachers and proceeded to throw punches on a former hixson basketball player (graduated last year). i'm telling this from an unbiased view, and appeared that the soddy's player and brother started the fight. though it is irrelevant to the fight in the stands, i did see mcneil say some words to hixson's kyle wood before halftime, but then mcneil was confronted by an official near half court. however, what provoked mcneil and his brother to beeline to the stands, i don't know, but i do believe that it was completely inappropriate and if tssaa finds out, he will probably be suspended for a couple games for fighting at a tssaa sanctioned sporting event. furthermore, given soddy's principal mr. smith reacts appropriately, mcneil should also be suspended from school for at least 3 days, if not 5. the same situation applies to the players as it does to the students spectating. hypothetically, if a hixson student were to engage in a fight with a soddy student, then the hixson student would be suspended as he/she returned the following school day... just the rules...

granted i may have missed something, correct me, however; i was in close proximity from the fight, and as soon as i noticed what happened... i paid close attention.

begin debating...

Welp i didn't get to make it tonight. Wish i could have. From what i heard the refs, as usual, were horrible both ways. When you said quirky im sure that is what you were refering to, right?? Im tired of watching high school games b/c of such bad officiating. Im glad soddy got out of their with a win. Im still wondering why this fight occured. From everything i have heard and seen from Russell he is a pretty good kid, so im wondering if he was provoked in some way. I hate it for him and for the team (if he gets suspended). Wouldn't the TSSAA need like a videotape or something of the fight to use as actual proof, rather than just hear-say?

well i was at the game and saw everything. Parents also said that during the jv game mcneil and 2 others came to the hixson side and sat behind that former player's family taunting them. Then after the game this artest wannabe went up and tried to stomp the kid with his brother following. Mcneil ending up getting the worse end of the deal, but that's his problem. Mcneil should be suspended for far more than 2 games. Not only did he start it but also assualted hixson's principal who tried to break it up. He should be gone for the year, and how stupid is he for risking his team's season like that.

Not only that, but charges will hopefully be filed and be most deserving. This had nothing to do with hixson. no one stepped out of line. the soddy crowd was loud but respectful to. All this was was a stupid action by a player who apparently had a personal problem.

Welp i didn't get to make it tonight. Wish i could have. From what i heard the refs, as usual, were horrible both ways. When you said quirky im sure that is what you were refering to, right?? Im tired of watching high school games b/c of such bad officiating. Im glad soddy got out of their with a win. Im still wondering why this fight occured. From everything i have heard and seen from Russell he is a pretty good kid, so im wondering if he was provoked in some way. I hate it for him and for the team (if he gets suspended). Wouldn't the TSSAA need like a videotape or something of the fight to use as actual proof, rather than just hear-say?

825526044[/snapback]

well i would say that the coaches would report it and shumaker would have the integrity to agree, otherwise it is an outright lie. granted we don't know how long he would be suspended, however; it would be the right thing to do, and i don't know if they need video footage... but i would believe a consensus of witnesses and especially the coaches would agree what happened.

well i was at the game and saw everything. Parents also said that during the jv game mcneil and 2 others came to the hixson side and sat behind that former player's family taunting them. Then after the game this artest wannabe went up and tried to stomp the kid with his brother following. Mcneil ending up getting the worse end of the deal, but that's his problem. Mcneil should be suspended for far more than 2 games. Not only did he start it but also assualted hixson's principal who tried to break it up. He should be gone for the year, and how stupid is he for risking his team's season like that.

Not only that, but charges will hopefully be filed and be most deserving. This had nothing to do with hixson. no one stepped out of line. the soddy crowd was loud but respectful to. All this was was a stupid action by a player who apparently had a personal problem.

825526301[/snapback]

i agree... and mmb, i just thought 2 games would be the minimum that he would receive... however he should be out for a while. it was an unnecessary action that i didn't believe was provoked by a hixson side. i heard also that mcneil's brother was not only in the stands during the jv game, but he was prowling through the hixson side during the varsity game as well.

to address some previous concerns:

indian: the two incidents that i am aware of are the grundy occurence from last season, and the event last night.

exhibit a) both were started by visiting teams.

section 1) grundy fans threw plastic bottles on the floor after realizing the game had been lost

section 2) soddy fans were immature: soddy fan coming to hixson side and taunting the team/fans by exclaiming "h-town" accompanied by the "h-town" hand signal. also, the courtside soddy fans were taunting the hixson players as they moved up-court, and this was evident as a hixson spectator proceeded to chew the young lad out. he look scared to say the least.

hotsauce: i believe heresay is justifiable in this instance

exhibit :lol: with 500+ fans, a police report (if one was made; i know there were at least 2 if not 3 officers present), and two attending principals (both dr. swafford and mr. smith were in attendance), i believe that tssaa would not disregard the facts and any objectionable statements.

furthermore, i think this was just an immature decision on mcneil's part possibly fueled by some anger though it shouldn't have been apparent following a well-earned win.

Guest DoubleEagle

Allright everyone on here has got some good points, and it will be interestin to see how the TSSAA reacts and if at all punishes anyone. However, I agree with Nokona2 here on the immaturity of the Soddy Daisy player. I wasnt at the game, but is it not true that the McNeil kid has a baby? Seriously, he is a sophomore in high school and has a baby. Speaking of immaturity, I think that would be a fine example.

nuff said!

double eagle how does having a kid make you immature?????? i believe it was last years point guard who russ got into the scuffle with and from what i saw the kid was talking "smack" to russ, i was talking to another person today who's brother plays with russ's brother at loftis middle school and he said after the hixson loftis game, the person russ got into it with approched russel and was talking to him hatefully and even had a few "N" bombs called but russ was pulled away by the person i was talking to today. so there is obviously some bad blood between these 2.

Well I was at the game .I heard there was a fight in the Hixson stands . It was a black kid in a gray sweatshirt named Ray, flailing away on somebody. Mr. Swafford got in the middle of it to stop him.It appeared he took some punches,too. Then I saw McNeil trying to pull Ray away. He was trying to stop the fight from what I saw. I don't believe that Ray is his brother. He goes to Sequoyah Voc. ,but he's from Howard.He comes to Soddy to catch the bus to Sequoyah in the morning. He also shoved the police officer. In my opinion , he should have been cuffed and arrested right then and there. The only thing I saw Russel do is pull the kid away and have some words with Mr.Swafford. Then his mom pulled him away and Russ's dad took Ray out of the stands. That is what I witnessed. I don't know if this Ray is the same kid who started a fight one morning at Soddy a couple of weeks ago. If it is, he needs anger management!

The officiating was horrible again. Well, really there was only one ref who made all the bad calls or ignored calls he should have made.

Edited by Ultimatefan