Beech @ Lipscomb

GoBama

So winning is everything?  Is that why I know friends who left the game at halftime saying they had better things to do?  They said is was ridiculous! And that they would not be back to see another Lipscomb game (by the way, they are/were Lipscomb fans).  Play ball, so what if Beech beats you?  You made a fool of yourselves (well, not really the players, the COACH!)

825538427[/snapback]

Who cares if they come back or not!!! And no they where not DLHS fans, true DLHS fans would support their team Good, Bad, or Ugly. So what if Beech beats you? What an intelligent question. Well, why even play if you have that attitude. Why play a zone? Well maybe that works best for Beech. Why hold the ball? DLHS did something they are good at. And the outcome? The better team won. If you don't like watching don't come you aren't forced too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well being an MLK boy I know a thing or two about the stall. I think it is a great strategy for any team to use. I mean Beech is ranked #4 or so in the mid-state. Lipscomb did a very smart thing to give themselves a shot to win. I love that in a coach, who will make a few fans mad (not like he really cares) to have a chance to win a ball game. So quit crying about your money and every thing else and be glad that you have basketball to watch. Great job Lipscomb, wish it could have come out better.

BIG BEN

Don't care what you say, it is NOT basketball to hold the ball like they did. If winning means everything to you and you are a Lipscomb fan, so be it. Glad I am not. So are my friends that left. I feel sorry for you if you resort to a game like that just to win a game that really meant nothing. It gives Lipscomb a bad name, like it or not. Glad I am not a Lipscomb fan, so I am not disappointed in this kind of game. Couldn't care less. Even if they had won, I doubt there would have been a real celebration. Great job! You held the ball for X number of minutes! Way to Go! ...................What a joke....................

Don't care what you say, it is NOT basketball to hold the ball like they did. If winning means everything to you and you are a Lipscomb fan, so be it. Glad I am not.  So are my friends that left. I feel sorry for you if you resort to a game like that just to win a game that really meant nothing.  It gives Lipscomb a bad name, like it or not. Glad I am not a Lipscomb fan, so I am not disappointed in this kind of game.  Couldn't care less.  Even if they had won, I doubt there would have been a real celebration.  Great job!  You held the ball for X number of minutes!  Way to Go!  ...................What a joke....................

825539134[/snapback]

You have know Idea what real basketball is. Being able to change tempo is a skill and to hold was smart. Obviously you don't understand the concept. And yes your basically lacking the knowledge. It doesn't give Lipscomb a bad name. They are arguably the most well known basketball program in the state for all of their accomplishments over the years. You can't argue that. Again who cares about your freinds that left. Learn and understand the game before you start smarting off about strategy.

Don't care what you say, it is NOT basketball to hold the ball like they did. If winning means everything to you and you are a Lipscomb fan, so be it. Glad I am not.  So are my friends that left. I feel sorry for you if you resort to a game like that just to win a game that really meant nothing.  It gives Lipscomb a bad name, like it or not. Glad I am not a Lipscomb fan, so I am not disappointed in this kind of game.  Couldn't care less.  Even if they had won, I doubt there would have been a real celebration.  Great job!  You held the ball for X number of minutes!  Way to Go!  ...................What a joke....................

825539134[/snapback]

What is your definition of basketball then Jim B.? Run and gun .. dunks .. putting on a show for the fans .. even if you get spanked by 20, as long as the fans are happy then that's all that matters ... ? A GOOD coache could care less what the fans think of the way he chooses to coach. Pickens isn't out there to please some ignorant Lipscomb "fan" (yes your friends), he is there to coach his team to a victory -- yes, even if he has to stall. If he cared that people were booing him and yelling at him during the game .. it probably wouldn't have been close because Beech was excellent with their 1-3-1. Now then, it's obvious you weren't at the game, because if you were then you wouldn't be on here talking like you are (I sure hope you wouldn't that is ...). So if you're saying that playing to win (within the rules of the game) is not basketball ... then I don't know what Mr. James Naismith meant for basketball to be.

I'm sick of people coming on here thinking they have the right to criticize Pickens for the way he handled the game. I would love to see the way some of ya'll say basketball should be played and see what the outcome would be ... and then we'd see who the smarter coach was.

I'm done with this thread by the way.

Edited by GoBama

So Lipscomb/Beech was an exciting game? Good basketball? Yeah, right. Ask anyone who remembers college ball before the shot clock when Tennessee played Vanderbilt and won 6-4. Ask them how exciting that was! They will tell you the truth. Even the Tennessee fans will tell you........BORING!

So Lipscomb/Beech was an exciting game? Good basketball?  Yeah, right.  Ask anyone who remembers college ball before the shot clock when Tennessee played Vanderbilt and won 6-4.  Ask them how exciting that was!  They will tell you the truth. Even the Tennessee fans will tell you........BORING!

825539533[/snapback]

So Lipscomb/Beech was an exciting game? Good basketball?  Yeah, right.  Ask anyone who remembers college ball before the shot clock when Tennessee played Vanderbilt and won 6-4.  Ask them how exciting that was!  They will tell you the truth. Even the Tennessee fans will tell you........BORING!

825539533[/snapback]

825539533[/snapback]

Way to quote the same thing 3 times, champ! I found the game quite enjoyable. However, that was because most in the gym misunderstood basketball as much as you and were, like you, not thrilled about the gameplan. That made the game so much more enjoyable for me, but that's just me.

Glad to see 2AGuru on the thread, now go back to the library and study (I don't work [well play] 3 different jobs for you to goof off).

The game plan by Coach Pitkens was a brillant game plan that Lipscomb is so well known for. As for me, I love it. You see, me and Adolf Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Rick Pitino, (Eddie Sutton doesn't count, wasn't clever enough to cover up the cheating), and Tubby Smith would do the samething if we had to. I have found memories of UK using every style that have to use to win a game.

That is the way Lipscomb is, the next game they went out and beat Portland using good ole Lipscomb Basketball. A good coach uses different game plans against different teams, it is called COACHING. Anybody can roll a ball out and say "go play". This is what separates DL from most other schools, GREAT coaching (which starts at the top with the AD).

Go big Purple!

Edited by Mr. B

I know this is a very delayed post but i think the reason for this lack of dunking directly corollates with someone's lack of attendence in recent games (aka..blonde bombshell  <_< )

825539726[/snapback]

AND, it is very hard to dunk when we employ our great stall tactic.

If we played Alcoa again in FB maybe we should try this!

Edited by Mr. B

I kind of thought about this and I realize that you could never do this against a team like WCHS or teams who play defense like they do because the opponent would be getting turnover after turnover if you were to pass on a pressure defense for 8 minutes. Technically, you could probably put as much if not more of the blame on the Beech coach if you wanted too.

But like I said before, some 60 second shot clock or something should be established. Most schools its not about the winning, its the $$$ (And to think otherwise you do not understand the world). Winning brings fans, and fans bring $$$, and thats why winning is so important, yet only a sub unit to the most important factor.

And exciting or not to stall to 10 pts, to many people, its not. It is a fact that can't be argued..

Edited by Wilson Central Dogg