A Lost Season

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on everybody, espn.com is reporting that owners and players have agreed on a 45 million dollar cap and will meet Saturday in hopes of saving the season, looks like we COULD see some hockey this year.

825573620[/snapback]

Thanks to Gretzky and Lemeux! Nothing speaks louder than the two greatest of the game! thumb

Now they just need to all realize that they MUST get a deal done to ensure that next season starts on time. Ideally, this would be done before the end of May so that a draft could potentially be held. With the number one pick being so valuable this year though, that would be a big mess.

They're so close compared to where they have been... they can't let it slip away.

Well, the players let it slip away..... A 45 million deal could have been reached, but the players said no..... guess they thought the owners were tight in their grasp. Think again.

Next year, here is the senario. Bettman has already said the cap will be in the 35 million range because of the lost revenue, far from 45 million..... The owners will come out and say 35 million, no more. If you want to play hockey players, then show up at the door. If the players union hesitates, the owners will plan a draft and invite NHL players to cross the picket line. The lesser names will need to. The bigger names? Who knows. Look for many call ups.

Well, the players let it slip away..... A 45 million deal could have been reached, but the players said no..... guess they thought the owners were tight in their grasp. Think again.

Next year, here is the senario. Bettman has already said the cap will be in the 35 million range because of the lost revenue, far from 45 million..... The owners will come out and say 35 million, no more. If you want to play hockey players, then show up at the door. If the players union hesitates, the owners will plan a draft and invite NHL players to cross the picket line. The lesser names will need to. The bigger names? Who knows. Look for many call ups.

825578489[/snapback]

Look for a competing league if the owners try this. I think the other sports have already proved that strikebreakers won't get fans.

• 2 weeks later...
.  I think the other sports have already proved that strikebreakers won't get fans.

825578589[/snapback]

Attention Keanu Reeves: I smell " The Replacements 2" on the horizon.

Honestly, I hope the NHL bounces but much like the Kobe Bryant civil trial , I'm really beyond tired of hearing about the lock out and on-going media shouting match between players, owners, and the NHL commish. It's not even worth the 2 minutes they get on Sportscenter anymore. :D

Oh well, at least that civil trial ended today.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting proposal today, some company offered to buy the entire NHL for something like $3 billion.

I wouldn't be a fan of that, I don't think.

825599710[/snapback]

Me neither, they would probably change the name of it, too. Just like they did nascar, from Winston to Nextel, just embarrasing. I don't watch NASCAR, but still. It'd be the EHL, the Entron Hockey League now instead of NHL, well atleast Martha Stewart would be in attendance at every game :D

Edited by tonymontana

Me neither, they would probably change the name of it, too. Just like they did nascar, from Winston to Nextel, just embarrasing. I don't watch NASCAR, but still. It'd be the EHL, the Entron Hockey League now instead of NHL, well atleast Martha Stewart would be in attendance at every game :ph34r:

825628897[/snapback]

I wouldn't care about that. My worry would be that with the whole league owned by one entity, that entity would go out of its way to try to favor the franchises that can make them the most money.

Pro sports teams need to be independent business operations.