Updated District 3AAA standings

mocs30

Here are the current standings, with the remaining district home and away games listed to the side:

Oak Ridge:  13-11 (6-1) 3 home -- Halls, Clinton, Karns; 2 away -- Powell, Central

Karns:        12-8 (6-3) 1 home -- Halls, 2 away -- Clinton, Oak Ridge; would lose a potential tie breaker to Powell (0-2)

Clinton:      11-10 (4-3) 2 home -- Karns, Halls, 3 away -- Campbell Co, Oak Ridge, Powell -- currently have the tie breaker over Powell due to head to head win.

Powell:        12-7 (4-3) 3 home -- Campbell Co., Oak Ridge, Clinton; 2 away -- Halls, Central

Halls:          14-5 (2-3) 2 home -- Campbell Co., Powell, 5 away -- Central, Oak Ridge, Campbell Co., Karns, Clinton -- this team has a ton of games left and could move up the standings quickly . . . or stay where they are.

Central:      5-11 (2-6) 3 home, 1 away

Campbell Co: 5-11 (1-6) 2 home, 3 away

Every team among the top five is still in the race and one of them will not be going to Region. That is scary. Remember that the battle is really for the top two spots because finishing in the top 2 guarantees a bye in the first round of the district tournament and so an automatic entry into the region tournament.

Halls has it really tough with all those road games. Looking at this schedule, this is how I see it playing out in the regular season:

Oak Ridge

Powell

Clinton

Karns

Halls

Central

Campbell County

825531596[/snapback]

big catt made some predictions, so I will also, with specific games included:

Oak Ridge: 10-2 wins out, except loses to Powell

Powell: 9-3 wins out, might struggle at Central

Clinton: 7-5 beats Karns, Halls and Campbell County, loses at Powell and Oak Ridge

Karns: 6-6 loses out

Halls: 5-7 beats Karns, sweeps Campbell County, loses to Powell, Central, Clinton, Oak Ridge

Regular season champs: Oak Ridge

District Tournament predictions:

Central beats CC

Clinton beats Central

Halls beats Karns

Powell beats Clinton

Halls beats Oak Ridge

Powell beats Halls

District Tournament champs: Powell

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the games that matter this week.

Powel will go 1-1 with a win over C.C. and a loss to O.R. guard play is to much of a liability. They handle it well enough but they need to look to score more. Lee Smith and Ward need to be more physically dominant in the paint.

Halls goes 2-0 with wins over Central (If they guard McGill) and C.C.

O.R. goes 1-0 win a big win at Powell. Powell could win this game if they play 3-2 and O.R. doesn't handle it any better than Fulton.

Karns goes 1-0 IF they defend the 3 and don't allow Clintons guard to go crazy. Another factor is the health of Roth.

Clinton goes 0-1.

This how I see the finish when it is all said and done.

1. O.R. don't look for them to loose 2 games.

2. Karns don't look for them to have another bad game like Friday.

3. Clinton guard play causes to many match up problems for them to finish any lower than 3. If they get hot they could easily be 2.

4. Powell If they can beat Halls at Halls. Powells post player need to take over and Conner needs more looks.

5. Halls schedule is to tough to make a run this late. I think Halls took to much time off during Christmas an may have lost some momentum. If Cameron Sharp stays on fire and gets a little help[ they could possibly move up to 3.

Tie for 6 & 7 C.C. and Central.

We all know that anything can happen in this district of very evenly matched teams. I think the only sure thing is to pick against C.C. and Central and both have proved that isn't even a lock. Like every one is saying you could be 5 now and 2 by the end of next week. To many games not enough time. Looks like Halls Central on Tuesday and O.R. and Powell on Friday.

I will have to agree with mocs on this one. If Hargis can stay strong with the ball, Addis and Conner hit there shots, and Smith and Ward keep it up - Powell is a lock for the District Championship game. That will probably surprise most people, but Powell hasn't yet shown their full potential. With the talent on this team, they should be dominating the district and possibly region. Look for Powell to go far this year.

big catt made some predictions, so I will also, with specific games included:

Oak Ridge: 10-2 wins out, except loses to Powell

Powell: 9-3 wins out, might struggle at Central

Clinton: 7-5 beats Karns, Halls and Campbell County, loses at Powell and Oak Ridge

Karns: 6-6 loses out

Halls: 5-7 beats Karns, sweeps Campbell County, loses to Powell, Central, Clinton, Oak Ridge

Regular season champs: Oak Ridge

District Tournament predictions:

Central beats CC

Clinton beats Central

Halls beats Karns

Powell beats Clinton

Halls beats Oak Ridge

Powell beats Halls

District Tournament champs: Powell

825534536[/snapback]

I hate to say it, but I called the Central upset.

Edited by mocs30

This could be very interesting. I feel that O.R. will be #1 after it is all said and done. Clinton, Karns, and Powell will batle it out for 2,3,4. I think the winner of Karns and Clinton on Friday will in up #2 the looser #3 and Powell 4. Halls is now in a battle with Central to avoid the play in game. I think Halls early week schedule is hurting them. Central on the other hand is benefiting from some strong competition.

This could be very interesting.  I feel that O.R. will be #1 after it is all said and done.  Clinton, Karns, and Powell will batle it out for 2,3,4.  I think the winner of Karns and Clinton on Friday will in up #2 the looser #3 and Powell 4.  Halls is now in a battle with Central to avoid the play in game.  I think Halls early week schedule is hurting them.  Central on the other hand is benefiting from some strong competition.

825538349[/snapback]

Campbell County's coach said last night that in his opinion Powell has the best team in the district.

The best thing about District 3AAA this season is that all the teams can be competitive on any given night. It has made for a extremely good viewing experience for the fans unless you happen to also be a players parent. They are usually so hyped up after a district game that it takes a while for them to wind down and get to sleep.

What I've noticed more than anything is that no team is strong enough to win on an off night. Everything has to be clicking, shots need to fall, defense needs to be played and coaches need to have the game plan geared for the opponent.

Real strong teams can have a player off his game and be picked up by his teammates and roll to big winning margins. That's not the case this year and I guess parity is prevalent in the district. Basketball teams tend to get hot at this time and hope to carry it through the tournaments.

There is still time for a team to come emerge as the kingpin, but then again the winner of the regular season district race could lose out to the 7th place team in the tournament. That is why basketball is a tournament sport and you just gotta love it.

I have to agree with OR probably winning the regular season district title, though I wouldn't be suprised to see them get upset at Powell on Friday. I'd say the winner of the 2nd Powell-Clinton game will finish 2nd,with the winner of the Karns-Halls game finishing 4th (though that would hardly matter,since in that scenario they would just play each other again) As far as the tournament goes...an 8-ball probably would give u as good of a guess as any1.

Campbell County's coach said last night that in his opinion Powell has the best team in the district.

825538366[/snapback]

When Conner scores 17 and I believe hits 4 3's I would tend to agree. More consistent scoring from the prerimeter will cerrtainly give Powell a shot to move up. If I am not mistaken I said last week for Powell to improve their chances Conner needs to be more of a threat ("get more looks") and Post players need to be more dominant. This being based on a very limited view because I have seen Powell play only 2 times. Of course I have been wrong about most of my other observations.

I never thought I would say this but look for Central and C.C. to throw another wrench in the works before the season is done.

When Conner scores 17 and I believe hits 4 3's I would tend to agree.  More consistent scoring from the prerimeter will cerrtainly give Powell a shot to move up.  If I am not mistaken I said last week for Powell to improve their chances Conner needs to be more of a threat ("get more looks") and Post players need to be more dominant.  This being based on a very limited view because I have seen Powell play only 2 times.  Of course I have been wrong about most of my other observations.

I never thought I would say this but look for Central and C.C. to throw another wrench in the works before the season is done.

825539324[/snapback]

I totally agree about Central and CC. I know that Powell will struggle there next week. And it would not surprise me if CC beat Halls at CC.