Latest standings:

OAK RIDGE.....7-1..0.875...14-10...0.583

CLINTON.........5-3..0.625...13-10...0.565

KARNS............6-4..0.600...13-9.....0.590

POWELL..........5-4..0.556...13-8.....0.619

HALLS.............3-4..0.429....17-6....0.739

CENTRAL.........3-6..0.333....7-14....0.333

CAMPBELL C....1-8..0.111....5-12....0.294

2/1/05 - Oak Ridge - Halls @ Home, 2/4/05 - Clinton @ Home, 2/8/05 - Karns @ Home, 2/11/05 - @ Central

2/1/05 - Clinton @ CC, 2/4/05 - @ Oak Ridge, 2/8/05 - @ Powell, 2/15/05 - Halls @ Home

2/8/05 - Karns @ Oak Ridge, 2/11/05 - Halls @ Home

2/1/05 - Powell @ Central, 2/4/05 - @ Halls, 2/8/05 - Clinton @ Home

2/1/05 - Halls @ Oak Ridge, 2/4/05 - Powell @ Home, 2/8/05 - @ CC, 2/11/05 - @ Karns, 2/15/05 - @ Clinton

2/1/05 - Central - Powell @ Home, 2/4/05 - @ CC, 2/11/05 - Oak Ridge @ Home

2/1/05 - Campbell C. @ Clinton, 2/4/05 - Central @ Home, 2/8/05 - Halls @ Home

Any projections for next week?

2/1/05

Halls @ Oak Ridge

Clinton @ Campbell County

Powell @ Central

Farragut @ Karns

2/3/05

Campbell County @ Scott

2/4/05

Clinton @ Oak Ridge

Powell @ Halls

Central @ Campbell County

Karns @ Fulton

2/5/05

Central @ Knox Catholic

Thanks marcvols, I forgot about that switch. I also added the dates (Hope they are correct)

Edited by HiwasseeVol

I'll go first:

2/1/05

Halls @ Oak Ridge - Oak Ridge wins

Clinton @ Campbell County - Clinton wins

Powell @ Central - Powell wins

Farragut @ Karns - Karns wins

2/3/05

Campbell County @ Scott - Campbell County wins

2/4/05

Clinton @ Oak Ridge - Oak Ridge wins

Powell @ Halls - Powell wins

Central @ Campbell County - Campbell County wins

Karns @ Fulton - Fulton wins

2/5/05

Central @ Knox Catholic - Knox Catholic wins

Who's next to go out on a limb? :D

Edited by HiwasseeVol

I'll go next:

2/1/05

Oak Ridge @ Halls - Oak Ridge wins (ok, Oak Ridge easily)

Clinton @ Campbell County - Clinton wins (close)

Powell @ Central - Powell wins (closer than you might think)

Farragut @ Karns - Karns wins (Don't know anything about Farragut really)

2/3/05

Campbell County @ Scott - Campbell County wins (eh, we'll go with the district)

2/4/05

Clinton @ Oak Ridge - Oak Ridge wins (Oak Ridge by 10+)

Powell @ Halls - Halls wins (another Emory road classic)

Central @ Campbell County - Campbell County wins (it's a toss-up really)

Karns @ Fulton - Fulton wins (Fulton's awesome, although injured and sick)

2/5/05

Central @ Knox Catholic - Knox Catholic wins (Don't know much about KC)

Edited by jamesd

jamesd,

Based on the schedules that I have looked at, Halls is at OR.  I do know that OR has already visited Halls.

825542734[/snapback]

Thanks Papatj, i thought they had already played at Halls, but of course, if anyone's got any inside information that it's been changed, let me know.

ok, my question is, Can Halls, Powell, Clinton, and Karns all have the same district win/loss record at the end of this? We've already got 3 with 4 losses..1 w/ 3. Is that possible? or is there too many games between these down the stretch? If it's possible, that would be just awesome really. I mean, yeah we all want our team to be on top, but still, as much beating and pounding they all do on each other it would be fitting for a huge tie that takes tie breakers to break and seed them all.

chsbbfan,

Sorry that you take issue and I thought I covered my statement, but I will add some more.

I have watched all the teams in district 3 and that is just my opinion, everyone has one and mine really means nothing more than anyone else...

All the teams have some talent, but right now, I see Oak Ridge as the most complete team. They have a good inside presence and they can complement that with their guard play. I would place Powell next because of their inside play, but Hargis does need some of his teammates to step-up and help him on a consistent basis.

I don’t see a big difference between Clinton, Karns and Halls and to be honest Powell is in this mix, as the standings will support.

Clinton misses a good inside presence and it’s hard to overcome that against a complete team. Sure if they shoot well and use their speed, they can beat anyone on a given night.

Karns hasn’t been the same without Shipwash and as the game in Clinton Jody will need more help if they finish the season strong.

Halls has a premiere player in Sharp, but lack of constant team play has hurt them lately. Central and Campbell County can both win on occasion in the district.

Therefore, this is where I rank them as of now:

1. Oak Ridge

2. Powell

3. Karns

4. Clinton

5. Halls

6. Central

7. Campbell County

I repeat; me placing them in this order doesn’t mean its where I would like to see them, but just my honest opinion from the way teams are playing and considering their strengths and weakness.

As far as officiating, I’ve never posted on that subject before and wish I hadn’t because it is a no-win subject. The only officials I see calling high school games seem to have one thing in common, they have TSSAA on those stripe shirts. Are you telling me that District 3 has a pool of TSSAA referees that all the other schools use and Karns won’t use them? Think before answering! From most games I watch if you get one good one out of three, consider yourself lucky and I watch many other games other than those played by District 3. Whitt picked up a foul in the Karns game that I thought was clearly a clean block and I thought that was a weak three-man crew.

You won’t remember, but when I was in high school and we played Oak Ridge one of their refs that worked the game was named Muckenthaler and he had a son that played for Oak Ridge. I never thought that was fair either!

Good Luck against Campbell County and Oak Ridge next week.

Karns and Powell use Knox South Association; all others in District 3 use Knox Ridge Association.  Knox Ridge has the District 3 tournament.  That's why you see some familiar/unfamiliar faces.  The referees are assigned by the association that the home school uses.

825544261[/snapback]

Maybe Halls should use the knox south association b/c the ridge hasn't gotten it done for me the past few years when i've seen their games. I mean, yeah the players got to adjust and fans need to just deal with it when their teams are getting the nuts and bolts, but when a player on one end gets a clean block without the body and gets a foul called just because it was from behind and another on the other end doesn't on the block from the front when there clearly is a body foul on the block...something's wrong. I'm not talking about anything particular recently, but just in general. I like to see aggressiveness and just can't stand it when bad calls are made, especially if the same zebra keeps making 'em. Let's also get these refs back to basketball rules...a slap on the hand on the shot is not a foul...the hand is part of the ball...pretty simple, so when a player stands over another and just sticks his hand on the ball or the other players hand, it's not a foul. My favorite fouls though are when a player simply runs in front of another player on a fast break and swats at the ball but clearly makes no contact(Clinton/Halls game) and the ref calls a foul for a guy waving his arm through the air to alter the shot. Is that a foul in high-school ball? If that's the case they should really consider making some changes b/c that's just ridiculous and takes away from the game..again, same zebra making calls. That's all I'm saying

Knox Ridge officials have never been very good. Even if you clearly have it on film and show it to the suprevisor of officials they will still defend the official.

This is the problem with SOME officials:

1. They want to control the game to much. As a result they often interfer with the flow.

2. SOME don't want to admit they make mistakes.

3. SOME have no interest in improveing.

4. Lack of effort. Not in position to make calls. If an official misses a call so be it. But when they are not in position or loafing around on the floor they set themselves up for critisism.

5. Some have rabbit ears. I was at a region final 2 years ago and within a couple of minutes an official stopped the game and had a student removed from the game for yelling about a call. The student didn't curse or say anything degrading. "Just yelled get in the game ref". I know because I was sitting right behing the kid. I didn't know the kid from Adam. When he did that I responed "you've got to be kidding!" and he said, "If you don't shut up you will be next". That type of official doesn't need to be calling basketball. Called the supervisor and as usual he made excuses and said fans need to mind there manners.

Now in defense of officials.

1. Fans, coaches, players need to quit complaining about ticky-tack fouls. A FOUL is a FOUL.

2. Every crew has at least one strong official. The unfortunate thing is they have to work with others that aren't very good.

3. Many fans don't understand the rules or the application of the rules. Just because you saw it in college or pros doesn't mean the rule applies to High School.

I have a question about the misconception about the hand is part of the ball. If a defender slaps an offensive player across the hands thus dislodging the ball and making a steal is that a foul?

If a defender comes from behind and slaps an offense player on his shooting hand on a lay up is that a foul?

The problem with the hand is part of the ball is it is very difficult to determine was it the hand or the wrist?