Weekly Carter County -- Top 5

osubrutus

Well here it goes...

1. Unaka (21-1) - Beat Johnson Co. 71-30; Tough game at Cosby Tuesday

Playing well, seem to be tournament ready

2. Elizabethton (17-5) - Beat Central 59-43; Beat HV 52-28; Play a weak North

team Tuesday and a tough game at Unicoi Co.;Looking

for 1st Conference crown in years

3. Cloudland (14-6) - Beat UH 46-36; Tough game at Unicoi Co. tonight; N.

Greene comes to the mountain Fri;

4. Happy Valley (7-14) - Beat North 54-40; Beat Johnson Co. 70-53; Lost to

Elizabethton 52-28; Plays Johnson Co Tues and Hampton

comes to Warrior Hill Fri; Seem to be playing better in

spurts.

5. Hampton (8-14) - Lost to Volunteer 71-41; Beat Johnson Co. 53-41; Plays

Central Tues, Crockett Wed and at HV Fri; News of Coach

Lunsford coaching next year all over the rumor mill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obrutone,

Can't really see how you can put the Lady Rangers above the Lady Cyclones. Please give me some insight on this prediction. If you looked at common opponents Elizabethton would hold a slight advantage. Just because Elizabethton has lost a few more games wouldn't or shouldn't put them behind the Lady Rangers. Their loses have come at the hands of teams that would most likely give the Lady Rangers a hard time also. I could see both teams at the top. But just like ncaa football, we will never now unless they settle it on the court. Elizabethton matches up pretty well with the Lady Rangers. Unaka might have a hard time matching up with Baughman. Enlighten me please ole great brutsone......

obrutone,

Can't really see how you can put the Lady Rangers above the Lady Cyclones.  Please give me some insight on this prediction.  If you looked at common opponents Elizabethton would hold a slight advantage.  Just because Elizabethton has lost a few more games wouldn't or shouldn't put them behind the Lady Rangers.  Their loses have come at the hands of teams that would most likely give the Lady Rangers a hard time also.  I could see both teams at the top.  But just like ncaa football, we will never now unless they settle it on the court.  Elizabethton matches up pretty well with the Lady Rangers.  Unaka might have a hard time matching up with Baughman.  Enlighten me please ole great brutsone......

825545079[/snapback]

In the words of a Great Leader and Mentor: Is it time to beat the dead horse again?????

As for the slight advantage: One trip to the State Tournament for Unaka. No trips for the Lady Cyclones.

I didn't want to bring up the old topic of if they should play or not. Just the fact it is hard to put one over the other. Both teams are pretty good and it is hard to rate one over the other without looking at something in common. The fact about the state tournament does not apply because Elizabethton is in AA and Unaka is in A. If you rated the Carter County top five in A then Unaka would be at the top and if you rated Carter County top five in AA then Elizabethton would be at the top. Just was wondering what you were basing you rating on? Personal prefference, stats, watching each team play, knowledge of the game, coaching, what?

In the words of a Great Leader and Mentor: Is it time to beat the dead horse again?????

As for the slight advantage: One trip to the State Tournament for Unaka. No trips for the Lady Cyclones.

825545151[/snapback]

Sorry Brutus, but the man has ask a valid question. What does going to state last year in Class A have to do with this year in "AA". Yes, a lot of the same players, but Elizabethton could probably go to state in "A". Yes, they have both played some tough opponents. It is a good question.

This can't be answered on here...... only on the court. Maybe Krich can take care of this problem (had to throw that in pal cause I know you'll chime in). I'd love to see them play and it would be good for both of them.

O.K. Quick Analysis for Unaka's edge:

1) They were #1 of coachh17 last poll and haven't lost since.

2) Beat Volunteer without Julie and Jessica (question to you:could Betsy beat Volunteer without Rikki and Pietrowski?) Jessica - leading scorer = Rikki - leading scorer; Julie leading rebounder, tallest player, shot-blocker = Michaela - leading rebounder, tallest player, shot blocker. I don't have any idea, so I thought I would throw that one to you?

Based on EHS tougher schedule this year, it should help them in the tournament.

That is about as good of an answer that I can give without them actually playing.

Ok, there is no way to really know who is number one in this county, because the Rangers and Cyclones cannot settle it on the court. Brutus made his prediction mosty because he is a Ranger. A real prediction would have them tied with Cloudland a close third. Hampton and Happy Valley would bring up the rear. You can't go by how bad one of these teams can beat another team. They haven't had the opportunity to settle it on the court, so there's your answer.

O.K. Quick Analysis for Unaka's edge:

1) They were #1 of coachh17 last poll and haven't lost since.

2) Beat Volunteer without Julie and Jessica (question to you:could Betsy beat Volunteer without Rikki and Pietrowski?) Jessica - leading scorer = Rikki - leading scorer; Julie leading rebounder, tallest player, shot-blocker = Michaela - leading rebounder, tallest player, shot blocker. I don't have any idea, so I thought I would throw that one to you?

Based on EHS tougher schedule this year, it should help them in the tournament.

That is about as good of an answer that I can give without them actually playing.

825545405[/snapback]

BRUTUS, I thought you gave a fair accessment. If they played each other this year, I trully think it would be a 1-3 point game and I honestly could not call a winner. It would be a heck of a contest worthy of "State Tourny" status. Oh well......

My other thoughts are, with no disrespect for Baughman or Redd, I think Betsy just might be a better team next year and the year after. We'll just have to wait to see on that one.

Good luck to the Rangers and the Cyclones.

GLee

"My other thoughts are, with no disrespect for Baughman or Redd, I think Betsy just might be a better team next year and the year after. We'll just have to wait to see on that one."

I have to disagree, they both have a lot of floor time and heart that can't be taught. It must be earned. And the biggest reason to disagree is they lose one Heck of a coach, COACHH who has been with these girls since TAD. I don't mean to knock Wilson but just look at their record with Farthing on board vs without.

However, you said it best. thumb Good luck to the Rangers and the Cyclones. thumb