State Duals Brackets

CoachDelgado

With teams like Cleveland, Rossview, Farragut & Harpeth not qualifying that shows the need for an expanded barcket at the State Duals.

825552755[/snapback]

Yeah, but not all of those tried to go this year. There was alot of teams down with the flu etc. Even with more brackets i think we would have passed. We only had 4 kids healthy the other day.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but not all of those tried to go this year.  There was alot of teams down with the flu etc.  Even with more brackets i think we would have passed.  We only had 4 kids healthy the other day.

825552829[/snapback]

rigger, you are talking about an exception for this year, I think they mean a permanent change in the format.

Amen...Why can't we pull that off in TN?  There are alot of good teams that never get the chance to get there each year.  They do this in other sports.  TSSAA would benefit greatly from this.  The extra admissions, the extra concessions. 

Coach Gonyea SHS

825550639[/snapback]

They did it to soccer a few years ago. Farragut and Bearden knocked each other out all the time in soccer when only one team could represent the region. They thought they had two of the best teams in the state. When they increased the amount of teams that could go they ended up meeting each other in the finals.

Wouldn't the folks from Cleveland and Bradley love that if it could happen to them in wrestling.

They did it to soccer a few years ago.  Farragut and Bearden knocked each other out all the time in soccer when only one team could represent the region.  They thought they had two of the best teams in the state.  When they increased the amount of teams that could go they ended up meeting each other in the finals.

Wouldn't the folks from Cleveland and Bradley love that if it could happen to them in wrestling.

825553125[/snapback]

Not only best in state, though I may be mistaken, I think they were also both nationally ranked, which further bolsters your point.

When SD won their 1st Duals title in 89, they had to beat a tough as nails Hixson team, which I don't think they had ever defeated at that point in the rivalry, just to win the priviledge of taking on McCallie, who I believe won the Traditional tournament that year.

IMO, either of those 2 aforementioned teams would have also won at Hunter's Lane.

So I think there's a very long history of this kind of thing.

When SD won their 1st Duals title in 89, they had to beat a tough as nails Hixson team, which I don't think they had ever defeated at that point in the rivalry, just to win the priviledge of taking on McCallie, who I believe won the Traditional tournament that year.

IMO, either of those 2 aforementioned teams would have also won at Hunter's Lane.

So I think there's a very long history of this kind of thing.

825553283[/snapback]

Actually, Franklin won the traditional tournament that year. In the state semi, Franklin beat a tough Kirby team and Soddy beat Tennessee high. Soddy then beat Franklin in the finals.

DI A-AA

FRA beat Greenback, 39-30

Springfield beat Hixson, 35-33

Edited by CoachDelgado

Actually, Franklin won the traditional tournament that year.  In the state semi, Franklin beat a tough Kirby team and Soddy beat Tennessee high.  Soddy then beat Franklin in the finals.

825553559[/snapback]

Yeah, that's right. I think that was the 1st time a non-Chattanooga team won it aside from Father Ryan. McCallie had that stacked team the next year, with Vance and the rest, and blew everybody out of McClellan GYm.

I think they broke the record for team points in that tournament that year.