TMSAA Area II Small--GIRLS @ Scott High

TheAnswer9

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kaz,

The only "real" surprise to me right now in the girls bracket came when Sunbright beat a vastly improved Robbins squad, but....

As for last night's action, Oneida's squad looks to have it all---guard play, post play, excellent pressure, good shooting touch, TEAM play and passing, and full court press. The Lady Indians are playing as well as perhaps any team I've seen since Christmas. As for PJ, I'll have to give them credit--they hung in there despite the opportunity to quit early.

Wartburg looked a bit sluggish after their 10-11 day lay-off for about 3 periods of play against a very determined Sunbright squad. But...in the 4th, the talent, depth, and experience of the Lady Dawgs came to the forefront. Sunbright shot the ball well, but...to many trips ended in indecision.

Tonights match-ups are interesting indeed. All 4 teams are very well coached by former players--that truly know the game. I have the utmost respect for coaches Branim, Yaden, Stewart, and the Snows (Fred & Heath).

The Oakdale / Huntsville match-up is interesting indeed. The coaches have brought these girls a long way indeed since I saw them play back in October at the Hollis. I knew they had the ability. I look for the guard match-ups to be a key as Huntsville's Murley and Katie Sexton (?? or is it Lowe) hook up with Oakdale's Snow and Peace. Both teams have played in the past 5 days or so, so.....it comes down to who executes the best for 4 periods of play.

As for Coalfield / Fairview--WOW!! You know Fairview is going to bring the D, but...will they hit their shots?? That is the million dollar question my friend. Coalfield has a good all-around game. If both teams show up to play it will come down to the waning seconds. But...if Fairview doesn't shoot the ball well....the rest could be history. Remember, it may take Coalfield a bit to shake the cobwebs where they haven't played in a while. If both teams are hitting..AD Fairview. If Fairview is hesitant on the offensive end, AD Coalfield.

Thanks for the heads-up, A9! Its really been hard to see, both in the boys bracket and the girls, how teams are going to play in the "hot stove". Some teams have played well early then tapered off, and some have kind of started slowly and gotten stronger as the game weht on. Which is more important, the hot start or building as you go. I would take the hot start, because is allows the team to dictate the pace or tempo of the game. Oneida's girls did this last night and didn't look "stressed" when Petros made its runs at them. On the other hand Fairview's boys and Wartburg's girls were challenged by their opponents for the better part of three quarters, and until they were able to widen their lead, appeared tight in their offensive sets. You know what they say about letting a team "hang around" long enough leads to disaster in the end. All in all there are a lot of good teams in this tournament so I'm sure the reason the games are so close is because everyone craves the same rewards.

thumb Kaz thumb

I believe if PJ would had gotten the ball to the post players more when they broke the press it might had been a different game because Oneida started playing just on the press and PJ had their post player wide open several times during the game. But not to take any thing away from Oneida they played very well and if they can stop the turn overs I think the will win the whole thing. Good luck Lady Indians.

In the boys game I believe it will be Oneida or Fairview will win. I think PJ has the best team but if a team stays with them to the end PJ will get into fail trouble or start forcing some of their shots I do not believe that they will play team ball if the game is close. I hope I am wrong just like I was last night. Good luck PJ

WOW!! That's about I can say about the outcome of the FAIRVIEW-COALFIELD game!! This game, and the players, were ALL that and then some tonight my friends!!

Here's a partial breakdown: (Hopefully KingBrian can give more details later)

End of 1st: Fairview 9-8

HT: Coalfield 16-12

End of 3rd: Fairview 22-20

End of Regulation: 39-39

End of OT: Fairview 49, Coalfield 46

Fairview's Yust and Coalfield's Scarbrough each had double-double's for their respective schools. Each player went for right around 20pts and 10-12 boards each. Fairview's Owens and Coalfield's Jordan came with nearly 10pts and 10 assists each, so....If I start mentioning others I'll accidently leave someone out, so....hopefully, KingBrian will mention some stats later.

This could be the best game of the entire week.

Fairview buried a triple to take a 39-37 lead with just under a minute left. Coalfield was able to tie the score at 39-39 with a put back with just under 3 ticks left to play.

here goes harvo

I think this one will come down to wartburg/oneida without a doubt.I was at the game earlier in the year when they played at wartburg and it came down to a game-winning shot. This should be an awesome game both teams are well balanced with great post players and equally great guards.I would say it comes down to free throws cause games are won and lost on the charity stripe.

Oakdale 45, Huntsville 32

The Lady Eagles took control from the outset in building a 27-13 halftime lead. The Lady Bears were able to trim their deficit to 8pts at the end of three, 29-21, but...they failed to capitalize on 2 opportunities to trim it even further to either 6 or 4 on blown FTs and lay-ups in the early of the 4th. From there, it was Katy Bar The Door.

SEMI-FINALS

4:30 Oneida vs Fairview

7:00 Wartburg vs Oakdale

Man,

I'm just sitting around today wishing that 4:30 would hurry and roll around--I'm ready to watch some hoops!!

We've got two county rematches in the SEMIs:

Wartburg vs Oakdale--4th time

Oneida vs Fairview--3rd time

Is there any reason to believe this time around will be any different that the first 5 times??

I know that Wartburg is 3-0 against Oakdale and Oneida is 2-0 against Fairview, but...all the previous games have been pretty close. Further more, Oakdale & Fairview have played like gang busters so far this week....

ANY PREDICTIONS (or breakdowns) on the outcomes tonight??