5th Year Preps Schools/Players

gomab2

AAU sounds hunky dorey in those terms.  What's in it for the AAU coach?  Just the satisfaction of seeing kids get scholarships?  If that were all there were to it, I don't think anyone would take issue.  Not to paint everyone with the same brush, but AAU can be corrupt.  College coaches more and more are speaking out against it.  I suspect prep schools are in the same boat.

825548754[/snapback]

Ksgovols you are right in major AAU programs where a team is sponsored by a shoe company the AAU coaches do get taken care of. As any human being should be that is working hard or performing a service for someone. However prep schools and AAU are night quite in the same boat. And there are only a handful of teams that get sponsorship from a shoe company.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know Jon Cook. Good player, I think he went to Fork Union. His case indeed was not for grades though, he wanted to play D-1 ball so that was his reason behind going. I think this is the case for more and more kids who know they can and will get better and want to play ball at a higher level

Whats UP Coach Reed & GOMAB !!!!!!!

5th Year Seniors thats what I call them! Undergraduates! I really don't have problem with Prep Schools as long as they Play Prep Schools??? Or JUNIOR COLLEGES, I know theres sometimes a BIG difference between a 19 and a 17 year old kid. BODY & MIND :D ..

More then likely the University or College that their going to Attend has them on their Roster already.. all they want is for the kid to make the Grade... A lot of the College Level Coaches know that they are taking a risk when they recruit 5th year Seniors,,, The last time I heard College Math is harder then High School Math. :lol:

And lot of these kids will run to the NBA or ABA or CBA or USBL or NBDL were ever they can earn a BUCK!!! I see nothing wrong with that, if education is not a option.... :D

Coach Reed you and GOMAB are Great AAU Coaches, and I know for a Fact that U 2 Coaches have done a better job then these High school Coaches getting these kids to Good Colleges.... that compete NCAA & NAIA Universities 4 year School.. Yeah AAU is pimp-ist but so is High school good players sell tickets for their school, AAU Teams with good players get a Nike Deal... Then the kids get National Attention.. Most high school Coaches don't get the kids National Attention!!!

Coach Reed ---kids he put in College

Kevin Townley- Cumberland University

Brandon Burney -Austin Peay University

Eric Orr -Treveeca University

Drake Reed Austin -Peay University

Thomas Pfaff -David Liscomb University

Will Newell- Nebraska of Omaha University

And I know GOMAB has a long list of Kids

If these kids waited on their High School Coaches they probably still be waiting..

Thanks CROSS thumb

Still think there is some unfairness when these guys are compared with seniors that go straight to college without a fifth year. Do the prep school kids have four years of college eligibility once they go? . . . if so, maybe the should only get three years. Seems like a fair trade for an extra year of bball as a quasi-high schooler.

Whats UP Coach Reed & GOMAB !!!!!!!

5th Year Seniors thats what I call them! Undergraduates! I really don't have problem with Prep Schools as long as they Play Prep Schools??? Or JUNIOR COLLEGES, I know theres sometimes a BIG difference between a 19 and a 17 year old kid. BODY & MIND :D .. 

More then likely the University or College that their going to Attend has them on their Roster already.. all they want is for the kid to make the Grade... A lot of the College Level Coaches know that they are taking a risk when they recruit 5th year Seniors,,, The last time I heard College Math is harder then High School Math. :huh:

And lot of these kids will run to the NBA or ABA or CBA or USBL or NBDL were ever they can earn a BUCK!!! I see nothing wrong with that, if education is not a option.... :D

Coach Reed you and GOMAB are Great AAU Coaches, and I know for a Fact that U 2 Coaches have done a better job then these High school Coaches getting these kids to Good Colleges.... that compete NCAA & NAIA Universities 4 year School.. Yeah AAU is pimp-ist but so is High school good players sell tickets for their school, AAU Teams with good players get a Nike Deal... Then the kids get National Attention.. Most high school Coaches don't get the kids National Attention!!!

Coach Reed ---kids he put in College

Kevin Townley- Cumberland University

Brandon Burney -Austin Peay University

Eric Orr -Treveeca University

Drake Reed Austin -Peay University

Thomas Pfaff -David Liscomb University

Will Newell- Nebraska of Omaha University

And I know GOMAB has a long list of Kids

If these kids waited on their High School Coaches they probably still be waiting..

Thanks CROSS thumb

825549172[/snapback]

Coach Cross,

Don't forget we had

Ramon Williams Jackson Northside - Tusculum

Zech Teague - Trevecca

Cory Pflieger - Rice

These are just a few guys that coach had.

He also had girls

Arnika Brown and Lydea Watkins that both are going to Kentucky.

Everybody doesn't like coach reed or gomab. But playing for them opens up alot of doors for us high school ballers. They know like every coach in the country. So don't hate participate.

Yeah your Right I forgot about Corey, I remember the Day The Rice University Alum showed their first interest in Corey.... Houston to be exact... Coach Reed in the Dream Team from Little Clarksville killin all the BIG name Teams in Houston... Coach Reed your boys showed up that week... it was GREAT!!! The Haters were in FULL Hater GEAR!!!! Any Coach keep up the good work... Now that your BIG TIME don't for get about US!!!! thumb

I think in most cases prep schools are good. I haven't really heard of any problems with prep schools playing high schools, but that would be left up to the state to decide. In most cases a prep school is a very good option for kids that struggle with grades or maturity.

I don't know how I feel about kids that go to prep schools just for another year of basketball. If they're not ready to play D-1 then go JUCO. There are plenty of schools that make their teams from JUCO transfers, you mentioned Cincy, Oklahoma is another team that lives off of them.

A player like Brandon Rush is a perfect fit for a prep school. There is no question that he is ready to play for any D-1 school, but his grades are terrible and his maturity level is questionable. He transferred from his high school in Kansas City, MO and went to a school in North Carolina hoping to get his grades up. His grades weren't even good enough for JUCO, so it was either prep or go straight for the NBA. A lot of that had to do with the mistakes his brothers made. JaRon left for the NBA and is now washed up overseas. Then it was discovered that JaRon and Kareem took bribes from AAU coaches. So I think he just wanted to make sure that didn't happen to him. He has definately matured since I used to watch him in KC, so I think he's on the right track.

So I guess depending on the situation prep schools are a wise decision.

It seems like this topic has gotten a little heated. I think that in fairness to everone involved it is some good high school coaches who do alot for their kids as well as some AAU guys that do the same. It is also coaches who don't do anything for a kid at all.

Coaches like Al Cooper, Ted Young, Kevin Tuck, Tom Weeks, and Brad Frayser really have always supported the AAU program and were real easy goes to work with. It's no wonder why those are the teams always battling for the district. There top players are playing high level ball all summer as well as being coached well during the season.

It shouldn't be about who gets the credit for sending the kid to school. However you can't overlook the importance of AAU ball for a kids exposure.

While people like gogovs cry and boo hoo when someone else helps a kid they couldn't help. They should be pushing kids toward opportunities where they can get a free education.

HAHAHA!!!  I promised to deliver Drake to who?  I don't care what you think my problem is as I have never been one to worry about what people have to say.  As far as Drake goes I am the coach at MT. Zion Drake plays at Northeast.  Mt. Zion is one of the top athletic schools in the nation.  If I am a legend in my own mind schedule us and get in line for a 50 to 0 butt whooping.  Never had a problem with Coach K haven't spoke to him since the day after 2003 civitan bowl.  But if you would like we have two assistant coaches positions open that pay $45,000 each plus excellent benefits package and you don't have to teach.  I'm in Clarksville visiting Drake as a matter of fact.  SO you can stop hiding behind the computer at any time, and meet with me to get your feelings out in the open.  I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings in any way.  I apologize!!!    thumb

825548747[/snapback]

coach how many kids go to Mt.Zion and how many signed with division 1 schools in football and basketball last year and how many will sign this year.