Hampton fans

hvwarrior58

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember during the preseason hampton had like 8 fans on here. where have they all gone? did they bite off more than they could chew by talking theirselves up as conference contenders?

825552686[/snapback]

member back when all those Unaka/Hampton fans were trash talking back and forth...well thats when all those Hampton fans disappeared bc it was only like 2 people on a bunch of different sn's and they got shut down from coacht bc of profanity.

• 4 weeks later...

nobody will want to admit it but hampton did play hard this year...

they got a lot of bad calls but you can't use that as an excuse...

preseason looked good for them but they just seemed to go downhill from there, that's all...i think that's why there was so much talk for hampton...and they did contend, they played a lot of close games...volunteer (loss by a few points @ volunteer), central (4 or 5 points @ both places)...so it's not as if they didn't try to backup that talk

as for disappearing fans...who knows?

It is true that the Bulldogs looked much better the first of the season than the last. They seemed to go downhill for whatever reason. I can't help but wonder if it would have been any different if Coach Hazelwood had still been there or if someone else had taken the coaching job like everyone wanted him to. I guess that we will never know, but maybe someday he will take it and lead the Bulldogs back to the top and instill some much needed pride back into the program. Someone needs to. I feel that they really underachieved this season with what they had.

825598776[/snapback]

Mcclain had to spend most of this year disciplining and dismissing players from the team because of what players were allowed to do the previous 2 years. Not only would the Dogs had lost more games, if the same coaching staff were there, Hampton would once again be the laughing stock of the Watauga Conference. Would Hazelwood and Oliver have thrown off Jordan Honeycutt? I doubt it. Hampton won almost as many games this year as they did the previous 2 years, and probably played as tough or maybe evena tougher schedule. No doubt, the Dogs are headed in the right direction. As for the girls team, that may be a different story.

All I'm saying is that last year they (Bulldogs) beat some teams that they weren't supposed to beat (Eliz., Volunteer, S. Central) to name a few and were playing well late in the year. Name one team this season that the 'Dogs beat that they weren't supposed to. You can't can you? That is all that I am saying.

825599218[/snapback]

bouncepass, you said in your last post that Hampton underachieved with what they had this year, besides Lucas Honeycutt, what else did they have that was so great? All I'm saying is that the two years before this one, Hampton lost to those teams they should have beat? Was coaching the reason Hampton beat those teams two years ago? No. Is McClain a great coach, No. Can he become a great coach? Maybe, if he puts in the time and studies what great coaches do.

All I'm saying is that the coaching move solved nothing. It is the same old stuff at HHS until they get someone up there who knows what he is doing.

I'm sorry but I thought the team played more like a team this year than they have in a while. And I see you have no response to the fact that McClain did have to dismiss several players from the team. There aren't many coaches around this area that would have dismissed four or five of their best players...players that would have helped but weren't at all team material due to off the court activities and on the court attitudes...not to mention players that would have started on most other teams in this area. While they may not have won as many games this year as would have been liked they did play hard and atleast gave it their best. And I'm interested to know what you mean by "same old stuff at HHS." I can tell you one thing that was not the "same old stuff," when this team got behind in a game they did not hang their heads, put their tails between their legs, and give up...they fought and actually gave it a chance to win...whereas under previous coaches they gave up.

I am gonna give my take on all this since I've went through it. We had a good summer and we played hard all year, correct. We did not upset anybody, wrong we were ranked at the bottom of the conference and came out 5th, and beat EHS twice this year (which they said hasn't been done in a while) granteed they were down this year from previous years, we also had conflicting calls during the HV and Central games both at home which COULD have been season changing upsets, but ya never know. We finished 2nd in the Hardee's Classic, and in recent years we haven't made in past the first round. As far as coaching goes, I think coach McClain did a great job this year he made some good decisions and some bad ones and he knows that just like eveyone else knows that. He had to dismiss some players from the team because they chose to break the rules and I think he did what he had to do to keep order and control. I know he is very interested in coaching at Hampton and I think he is going to push his players as hard as he can to get the best out of them and I think he will get better with time. I think Bulldog basketball is in the right direction now after personally going through it myself: freshman year (got beat in 1st round of regionals by Chucky Doak) (18-15), sophmore/junior years (got beat by Unicoi in pigtail game 2 years in a row) (5-22) (9-19), senior year-this year (lost 1st round of districts to Unicoi) (11-18)...all that is from since we went AA, next year we go back to A and we have some very experienced players now. To bouncepass, I don't know if "he" got offered the job or not but all I'm worried about is who is going to replace "him" where "he" is now? Got any suggestions cause I don't think "he'll" stay forever. And to rwilson679, thanks for the compliment but there were more than me out there this year but we have had much more talent the past couple of years vs this year, and I do think you have a good grasp of whats going on in Hampton, Thanks for your support.