Region 8 results

Nainten

If you read my post just a little more carefully you'll see that I said the upset was in the Consolation Semi's. He was pinned by the kid from Brighton, Ashton Johjson. Speroff was clearly in control, made a mistake and it cost him. I think everyone in the gym who is close to Region 8 wrestling would agree that it was an upset. Shawn has been an awesome wrestler for four years but making the jump from 119/125 last year to 140 this year was too much. He had however beaten the 3rd place (Brighton) and 4th place (Germantown) wrestlers in every other meeting. Although I was not happy to see Shawn lose, I was very happy for Ashton Johnson. He really looked like he wanted it.

Now to your wrestler Brandon Wright. That kid is a stud at 140. He deserved the championship and I think he has a great chance to bring Houston a State Championship in the next couple of years. I think he is one of the top 3 best young wrestlers in the Region. I'll look forward to watching.

825564123[/snapback]

See it now. Didn't last night.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medal Count:

12 - Collierville

9 - Germantown

7 - Cordova

7 - Houston

7 - Ridgeway

5 - Bartlett

4 - Bolton

2 - Brighton

2 - Kingsbury

1 - Millington

0 - Arlington

0 - Munford

0 - White Station

825563590[/snapback]

obeservations from the cheap seat.....

beelzebub and mini-bee got the most from their group, getting every possible kid who had a chance into state.

wolves had a bad run and couldn't recover this weekend after a stellar season. no need to worry though, t-man, with his trusty sidekick c-dog, didn't get coaches o' the year for nothing. look for them to hang around.

roadrunner and mustang solid as usual.

panther and wildcat snuck in a couple above the three i guessed. had a couple of good wins late to get wrestling units in.

memorable matches

12 con match between mustang chris and panther nick. panther nick gets escape at the end for win, going to state.

25 final, obviously, back and forth with big swings in points, best match.

15 final, roadrunner uri does his willis reed, micheal jordan, (place athlete who has overcome sickness and injury to perform in a big game here) to beat dragon brett with 3 seconds left. felt bad for dragon brett but you had to like the senior at home, gutting it out.

40 semi between mustang brandon and dragon shawn. while the point total didn't reflect it, total clinic by mustang brandon. started dragon downward spiral and eventual exit.

45 final. "other" son ticked by not getting pin but teched in period and a half. peaking at the right time.

52 final, props to wildcat tj bumping up and getting region title in ugly match with dragon ryan. should get seed and maybe that will help get another medal.

60, mustang lucas giving props to his bro for latest hairstyles, rolling at the right time.

closing obs........

when roadrunner jonas broke out the final singlet at 25, looked very sharp. then my mind raced forward...........uri in this????????? then oh my god yes, big carl in his best imitation of the michelin man walking onto the mat in what could only have been made at the garment shop of abdulla the tent maker....... B)

Edited by usfjim

obeservations from the cheap seat.....

beelzebub and mini-bee got the most from their group, getting every possible kid who had a chance into state.

wolves had a bad run and couldn't recover this weekend after a stellar season. no need to worry though, t-man, with his trusty sidekick c-dog, didn't get coaches o' the year for nothing. look for them to hang around.

roadrunner and mustang solid as usual.

panther and wildcat snuck in a couple above the three i guessed. had a couple of good wins late to get wrestling units in.

memorable matches

12 con match between mustang chris and panther nick. panther nick gets escape at the end for win, going to state.

25 final, obviously, back and forth with big swings in points, best match.

15 final, roadrunner uri does his willis reed, micheal jordan, (place athlete who has overcome sickness and injury to perform in a big game here) to beat dragon brett with 3 seconds left. felt bad for dragon brett but you had to like the senior at home, gutting it out.

40 semi between mustang brandon and dragon shawn. while the point total didn't reflect it, total clinic by mustang brandon. started dragon downward spiral and eventual exit.

45 final. "other" son ticked by not getting pin but teched in period and a half. peaking at the right time.

52 final, props to wildcat tj bumping up and getting region title in ugly match with dragon ryan. should get seed and maybe that will help get another medal.

60, mustang lucas giving props to his bro for latest hairstyles, rolling at the right time.

closing obs........

when roadrunner jonas broke out the final singlet at 25, looked very sharp. then my mind raced forward...........uri in this????????? then oh my god yes, big carl in his best imitation of the michelin man walking onto the mat in what could only have been made at the garment shop of abdulla the tent maker....... B)

825564677[/snapback]

What did the roadrunner's final's singlets look like? Those guys can be pretty creative.

What did the roadrunner's final's singlets look like? Those guys can be pretty creative.

825564740[/snapback]

They were all white, tank top cut. Similar to what Westside wore during finals. Down the spine it has RIDGEWAY written vertically in 2 colors. The front is plain. It was very bright. That is why Warren was able to defeat Groves in the finals. Groves' eyesight is sensitive to bright light and bright things. The refs would not allow him to wear sunglasses for the finals. He couldn't see Warren coming at him. jk.

Edited by CoachDelgado

They were all white, tank top cut.  Similar to what Westside wore during finals.  Down the spine it has RIDGEWAY written vertically in 2 colors.  The front is plain.  It was very bright.  That is why Warren was able to defeat Groves in the finals.  Groves' eyesight is sensitive to bright light and bright things.  The refs would not allow him to wear sunglasses for the finals.  He couldn't see Warren coming at him.  jk.

825564752[/snapback]

Jose

Try sending your email to me later, I did not get it. Thanks Brad

bjfiscus@fiscusconsulting.com

wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

They were all white, tank top cut.  Similar to what Westside wore during finals.  Down the spine it has RIDGEWAY written vertically in 2 colors.  The front is plain.  It was very bright.  That is why Warren was able to defeat Groves in the finals.  Groves' eyesight is sensitive to bright light and bright things.  The refs would not allow him to wear sunglasses for the finals.  He couldn't see Warren coming at him.  jk.

825564752[/snapback]

Brandon must have had tinted contacts in as the bright singlet didn't seem to give Ben an advantage :rolleyes:

He had however beaten the 3rd place (Brighton) and 4th place (Germantown) wrestlers in every other meeting. Although I was not happy to see Shawn lose, I was very happy for Ashton Johnson. He really looked like he wanted it.

Actually, Sharp soundly beat Speroff during the regular season dual, after being out of competition for much of the season with an injury. Don't get me wrong, Speroff is a talented athlete, but so are kids like Ashton, and Sharp who clearly had the desire to take it up a notch. In fact Sharp knocked off 2 seniors last year to make the trip to McKenzie, so it wasn't so much of a surprise that he dominated Mitchner and the kid from Bolton to get in the consolation finals.

By the way, Brandon Wright looked v e r y good. Not only was he physically ready, but while many wrestlers were enjoying their success before the finals, he and Walt were off talking and preparing for his final match. Gotta like that kind of stuff!

Good Luck to all the R8 qualifiers! thumb

He had however beaten the 3rd place (Brighton) and 4th place (Germantown) wrestlers in every other meeting. Although I was not happy to see Shawn lose, I was very happy for Ashton Johnson. He really looked like he wanted it.

Actually, Sharp soundly beat Speroff during the regular season dual, after being out of competition for much of the season with an injury. Don't get me wrong, Speroff is a talented athlete, but so are kids like Ashton, and Sharp who clearly had the desire to take it up a notch. In fact Sharp knocked off 2 seniors last year to make the trip to McKenzie, so it wasn't so much of a surprise that he dominated Mitchner and the kid from Bolton to get in the consolation finals.

By the way, Brandon Wright looked v e r y good. Not only was he physically ready, but while many wrestlers were enjoying their success before the finals, he and Walt were off talking and preparing for his final match. Gotta like that kind of stuff!

Good Luck to all the R8 qualifiers! thumb

825564892[/snapback]

I stand corrected.

I am impressed that Tisdale won the region and Collierville sent so many high seeded guys to state.

825565058[/snapback]

Tisdale is no longer the timid fresh/soph that you remember. His mental attitude is great. He believes he will win every match. It is working for him. No prediction on next week. We'll just have to wait and see on him.