How things change for next year!

tradewind

i would rather have it all together than to break it up more and more. granted you can get more ppl with the larger schools but its not so much the quantity as it is the quality. you could have a kick butt program with a small school as well with a big school. I do find it less prestigious (sp) when they divide it up so much. I know i'd be thrilled out of this world if i was to be the state champ of all the state. I believe that california is just one state i know in order to compete in senior nationals in california you have to place 8th or better in the four years you compete in high school. in most other states you have to finish either first or second in the four years of high school. now i am proud of fra for winning a state title but it just doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a breakdown of next years regions and the numbers they qualified this year.

New region

5- 15 q'ed

6- 60 q'ed

7- 29 q'ed

8- 19 q'ed

9- 43 q'ed

It appears that 19 qualiers regions 6 and 9 would not go to state while some regions would qualify as many as 27 kids that did not go this year. The realignment sure isn't going to get the best kids to state. Look at the new region 6 and some of the wrestlers that will/ would be left out of state next year.

If I coached in new regions 5, 7, or 8 I would be jumping for joy, not debating retirement!

825565663[/snapback]

How can this be good for the sport ? The best wrestlers in the state should not be penalized because they wrestle in the toughest regions.

Something must be done.

Edited by patriot135

Why would it be such a problem to seperate them by Classes, like most other sports are done? Isn't that how Georgia is doing it currently? Hasn't hurt their wrestling. Everyone says they want a "true" state champion, but we all know that's not going to happen unless we do away with the D1/D2 split. Why do we consistanly try to "recreate the wheel". From a small school prespective, I would love for TSSAA to seperate us into classes. Why not?

Here is a breakdown of next years regions and the numbers they qualified this year.

New region

5- 15 q'ed

6- 60 q'ed

7- 29 q'ed

8- 19 q'ed

9- 43 q'ed

It appears that 19 qualiers regions 6 and 9 would not go to state while some regions would qualify as many as 27 kids that did not go this year. The realignment sure isn't going to get the best kids to state. Look at the new region 6 and some of the wrestlers that will/ would be left out of state next year.

If I coached in new regions 5, 7, or 8 I would be jumping for joy, not debating retirement!

825565663[/snapback]

Your numbers my not accuratley represent the true picture here. Some schools qualify guys for state because of the sheer number of teams in there region. The probability of a guy making state in an 8 team region is by far better than the probability of a guy making it through a 24 team region. A guy in the current region V will have to wrestle anywhere from 5-8 matches to qualify for state. Where as an 8 team region would only have to win 3 matches to guarantee a chance to wrestle at state.

I'll give you a numerical breakdown later.

Gonyea

Your numbers my not accuratley represent the true picture here.  Some schools qualify guys for state because of the sheer number of teams in there region.  The probability of a guy making state in an 8 team region is by far better than the probability of a guy making it through a 24 team region.  A guy in the current region V will have to wrestle anywhere from 5-8 matches to qualify for state.  Where as an 8 team region would only have to win 3 matches to guarantee a chance to wrestle at state.

I'll give you a numerical breakdown later.

Gonyea

825567040[/snapback]

Coach,

We are talking quality not quantity.

Take region 5 qualifiers for this year and move them(if applicable) to the new region 6 for next year. Now, how many qualifiers from this year will still be in region 5 next year.

New Region 5 / # of qualifiers this year in Region 5 = 15

Blackman (Murfreesboro) 3

Forrest (Chapel Hill) 1

Franklin County (Winchester) 0

Lincoln County (Fayetteville) 0

Marshall County (Lewisburg) 0

Oakland (Murfreesboro) 1

Riverdale (Murfreesboro) 2

Shelbyville 1

Siegel (Murfreesboro) 0

Tullahoma 4

Warren County (McMinnville) 3

New Region 6 / # of qualifiers this year in Region 5 = 33 ( not counting the

teams to be added to new Region 6

next year )

Brentwood 8

Centennial (Franklin) 2

CPA (Nashville) 0

David Lipscomb (Nashville) added for next year

Franklin 11

Franklin Road Academy (Nashville) added for next year

Hillsboro (Nashville) added for next year

Hillwood (Nashville) added for next year

Independence (Franklin) 0

Nashville Christian (Nashville) added for next year

Nashville Overton (Nashville) added for next year

Page (Franklin) 3

Ravenwood (Brentwood) 9

Looking at Regions 5 & 6 for next year, if I were a wrestler I would still take my chances of wrestling 5 matches in Region 5 vs. 3 matches in the new Region 6. New region 6 still has more teams than new region 5, 13 vs. 11.

The true picture is that less quality wrestlers will be in Chattanooga next year.

Edited by patriot135

You're not getting what I am saying. I think the other regions send guys that got through because of the small number of people in the bracket. So a much more qualified guy from our region (This year's region V) could beat maybe the 3rd or 4th place guy from another region who qualified because it is so small. Therefore, by splitting up the regions, we do indeed get a better representation of quality guys at state.

A better way to look at this would be to look at the number of guys who didn't win a match at state this year but qualified and break that down per new region.

Just a thought

The best comparison would be to take the medal winners from last year and see what new region they would be in. 

give 6 points for first, 5 for second etc.....  Then you will see who the strongest regions are. 

Anyone got spare time?

825567251[/snapback]

Bobvark,

Based on your criteria and only looking at new Regions 5 & 6, the results are as follows:

New region 5 = 10

New region 6 = 46

Edited by patriot135