Ideals for new regions and state

Drem2Achev

Go to 10 regions. Qualify 4 from each region. Let 8 of the 4th place guys wrestle pigtails to get into the main draw. Let it be a blind draw to see which 8 out of the 10 4th place finishers have to wrestle. They come into the bracket and go against the no. 1s.

Another ideal would be to put us into large and small devision. Split the schools down the middle and have equal in A-AA and AAA. have two 16 man brackets wrestle the tournaments at the same time. Place 6 in each devision. I truely believe this would help grow our sport, espesially in small schools. And I believe it would help alot of programs in smaller schools get stronger. ;):lol:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That idea is on the board under another thread, so its buried, maybe it will get some play here.

I would be opposed to any further dillution of wrestling in the state, therefore against yet another "split" of large and small schools. The next thing someone will suggest is participation medals.

reftn

Heres an idea. How about we stop crying about the whole public/private debate and put them together and have a real state champion. The top person can truly say they are the best in the state. It will never happen but it's a good idea. Too many public school coaches are whiners.

Heres an idea. How about we stop crying about the whole public/private debate and put them together and have a real state champion. The top person can truly say they are the  best in the state. It will never happen but it's a good idea. Too many public school coaches are whiners.

825568450[/snapback]

It's not just the DI coaches, all DI schools recruit in sports, just in a different way than DII, and not all private schools have the money to recruit as they are accussed. but all the wrestling coaches need to get there ego's in line, and change the rules, especially the DII coaches. Specifically, qualifying & changing weights for the state individuals at the last second, quality wins versus private and public opponents having little bearing on your state seed.or your in state season record, and the DII teams dodging other DII teams EVERY year. If you can't handle the competition, either get better, or get out of it!

I disagree with anyone who believes that a AA/AAA split would harm the sport. I'll state this one more time on coacht. Football has 7 divisions. Basketball has 5. Womens Basketball has 5. Baseball has 5. Tennis has 4. Soccer has 5.

Why not wrestling? Don't start spitting that old line that if we had 2 or 3 state champions it would be bad for the sport. Thats total B.S.

It would be great for the sport! There are no negatives associated with this idea. It would be GREAT for the sport and GREAT for the GROWTH of our sport.

YES Wrestling is a SPECIAL SPORT. We should demand for our sport to have the same opportunities that Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc has.

None complains about the multiple state football champions! They just hug that trophy and are proud of their efforts.

The split among D I is needed. It would be great for our sport in Tennessee.

Heres an idea. How about we stop crying about the whole public/private debate and put them together and have a real state champion. The top person can truly say they are the  best in the state. It will never happen but it's a good idea. Too many public school coaches are whiners.

825568450[/snapback]

ooooo, you need to get your facts straight before you spout off. If I am correct, it was the Div II coaches that insisted on the split.

As I sit hear trying to decide if I should laugh or what - so just how would you recommend splitting Div I. Would it be based on enrollment, size of wrestling program, region of the state (oops that would make us go back to pre TSSAA) or what? I personally think the whole public/private split on wrestling should be done away with. There are people in this state that move around the barriers so their kids can compete on specific teams regardless if the school is public or private! I should know - I was one of them!

I think that you just made an excellent point for splitting. You moved around to the school if your choice so that you could wrestle on a better team instead of staying put and building something. How is that fair? How can a small school or a school that lacks tradition build something when their prospects are moving to established schools? Split them up into A-AA, AAA, and Div. II.

Let me put it this way - I decided to buy a house and my son was a middle school wrestler, so we looked at properties where there were established high school wrestling programs so that my son could continue to wrestle. It's not like I moved to clear across the state or anything. I would not have issue with a split if it was based on student body enrollment - that is the only thing that makes sense to me.