Top Goalies

laxdaddy

Even though I've only seen one game this season, I've decided to comment on this one.  I have decided however, to instead of basing my judgements on actual review of play, to look instead at only statistics.

Based on what I consider a close review of the available statistics on Statsdepot, and judging what I can from the few keepers that I have seen in action in the past I have come to a rather unsurprising conclusion... Jimbo is probably in the lead for All-State honors at this point.  He has what looks to be one of the top save percentages in the state.  The two players ahead of him are Chris Taylor, whom I can't really comment too much on, as the CBHS coaches haven't updated his stats except for the first MUS game which he performed very well in; and Abernathy, the Webb goalie.  The other two players who could be considered contenders for all-state, Hanson and Carver, have much less impressive Save Percentages, and Carver has put in some poor performances of late (win at Webb he had only 5 saves, it seems.  This could either be an indicator of a defense who hung their keep out to dry, or maybe the Webbed-Feet have some very accurate marksmen this year).

Abernathy has a marginally better save percentage, but you also have to look at the quality of teams he has put up numbers against, Centennial, Franklin, PJP, and some lower level FL & GA teams.  I realize I have not seen him play, but I am not as impressed with these performances as I would be if he put up the same numbers against McCallie or CBHS.  What stands out to me instead are the losses to MBA, the best team they have played so far.  In those two games he had about a 60 and 50%% save percentage, respectively.  These numbers are not bad, but are not stellar.

What pushes Jimbo over the top, as it were, are the other stats.  He is near the top of the team in  ground balls, a sure indicator of aggressive and active play, and leads the team in both interceptions and takeaways.  In fact, Jimbo leads the state in interceptions, in spite of the fact MUS has only played 5 games this season and the number 2 performed has played 8 games.  The interceptions are an underrated part of goalieplay, as it shows an ability to control the attack and force the offense to be wary of those cross-crease passes, and forces them to try to lob it from X.  A good goalie who has his stick in the air can really slow down an overaggressive offense who tries to cut their passes in too close to the crease.

So basically, I think Jimbo has the best looking stats so far this year.  How he continues to play the rest of the season, however, is what will determine post-season accolades.

Of course, feel free to disagree, I'd actually like to hear some real argument here.  The way I look at it, teams (especially defenses) have to be very confident in whomever they have between the pipes and shouldn't take lying down some schmuck dissing their man.

Expectantly,

Kappy

825644378[/snapback]

Taylor, C CBHS 29.06

Abernathy, H Webb 32.39

Rainer, J MUS 35.44

Quinn, P CBHS 41.18

Harper, B Farragut 41.46

Gallagher, G Houston 44.07

Hanson, K McCallie 48.74

Morgan, C MBA 48.76

Kazmeir, M Farragut 50.00

Daniel, J MUS 50.00

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GK Avg

Name Team Ttl

Taylor, C CBHS 28.78

Abernathy, H Webb 32.39

Rainer, J MUS 35.44

Harper, B Farragut 41.46

Quinn, P CBHS 42.11

Gallagher, G Houston 44.07

Hanson, K McCallie 48.74

Morgan, C MBA 48.76

Kazmeir, M Farragut 50.00

Daniel, J MUS 50.00

My bad... it's been updated. Taylor's went down after the McCallie game.

i definately think that Chris Taylor is the best goalie in the state, not only did he make 17 wicked saves in the win over MUS, he is the leader of CBHS. he doesnt lose his cool like many other goalies, like Rainer...

825634023[/snapback]

after reviewing the game, chris taylor did not make "17 WICKED SAVES" but he actually only made about 8... the others were deflected by poles or hit the bar.

I haven't seen Carver. However, I have watched the film from MUS's 1st game vs. CBHS and clearly saw that Taylor did not make 17 saves that game, in fact I think the number was 8. Don't get me wrong, Taylor is a good goalie, but padding the stats doesn't mean anything at the end of the season when the educated coaches cast their votes.

My pick is MY goalie, of course, Jimbo Rainer.

Hitting the post does count as a save for Taylor.

825647983[/snapback]

No, it shouldn't. MUS at least has never counted that as a save, unless the goalie tips it onto the post. Otherwise, it is just a missed shot. Hitting the post is lucky for a goalie, while sometimes it means that you had good positioning and forced a poor shot, just as often it means two inches to the right and it would have been a goal. Its a missed shot if the goalie doesn't come into contact with it before it hits the post. Think about it: What makes hitting a post any different from sailing five feet over the cage if nobody touches it? They're both just misses, maybe the goalie caused them with his play, but you don't give poles take-aways for when a middie drops a pass because he's thinking about what dodge he's going to try to use.

The same goes for deflections of another player, obviously. If the ball is still heading towards the cage after the deflection off a pole and the keeper stops it, its a save. Otherwise, no dice.

Now, I haven't seen the game tape, so I don't know if Taylor's stats are inflated, but if its true the coaches are giving him posts as saves, his stats are incorrect and should be disregarded.

I was stat-boy for a while,

Kappy

No, it shouldn't.  MUS at least has never counted that as a save, unless the goalie tips it onto the post.  Otherwise, it is just a missed shot.  Hitting the post is lucky for a goalie, while sometimes it means that you had good positioning and forced a poor shot, just as often it means two inches to the right and it would have been a goal.  Its a missed shot if the goalie doesn't come into contact with it before it hits the post.  Think about it:  What makes hitting a post any different from sailing five feet over the cage if nobody touches it?  They're both just misses, maybe the goalie caused them with his play, but you don't give poles take-aways for when a middie drops a pass because he's thinking about what dodge he's going to try to use.

The same goes for deflections of another player, obviously.  If the ball is still heading towards the cage after the deflection off a pole and the keeper stops it, its a save.  Otherwise, no dice.

Now, I haven't seen the game tape, so I don't know if Taylor's stats are inflated, but if its true the coaches are giving him posts as saves, his stats are incorrect and should be disregarded.

I was stat-boy for a while,

Kappy

825647999[/snapback]

Guys since everyone is debating about this...at CBHS to my knowledge hitting the post is NOT a save. If the stat guy got in wrong for me on the MUS game, I am sorry but guys really do any of these stats matter. Maybe it is me, but goalies stats should not been the main concern. Its making big saves when the team needs it, and stopping a high percentage of the ones that you need to make (shots outside 12 yards or so). Also, his direction on the field, running the defense and talking them through situations when they need direction. I am sorry if the stat guy for our team messed everything up, but i promise it is not done on purpose. I've worked hard to improve, and don't look at my numbers to decide how i am doing. As players, coachs, and anyone with some sort of lacrosse back ground observinig. Stats do not and should not mean much in my own opinion.

Side note... Kappy summer league???

Oh... I almost forgot... The goalie for Webb (Abernathy *hope got this right too*)... I thought was really impressive. He had some great saves against us and kept his team in the game. He deserves alot of credit. I do not think he is an upperclass man, and next year he is definately going to be the top returning goalie. I think he has some great abilities, just a little improvment in his clearing and he will have it all. It was a fun game friday!

Guys since everyone is debating about this...at CBHS to my knowledge hitting the post is NOT a save.  If the stat guy got in wrong for me on the MUS game, I am sorry but guys really do any of these stats matter.  Maybe it is me, but goalies stats should not been the main concern.  Its making big saves when the team needs it, and stopping a high percentage of the ones that you need to make (shots outside 12 yards or so).  Also, his direction on the field, running the defense and talking them through situations when they need direction.  I am sorry if the stat guy for our team messed everything up, but i promise it is not done on purpose.  I've worked hard to improve, and don't look at my numbers to decide how i am doing. As players, coachs, and anyone with some sort of lacrosse back ground observinig.  Stats do not and should not mean much in my own opinion. 

Side note... Kappy summer league???

825648802[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself, Chris. You really need to see goalies play to evaluate them. I didn't mean to impugn on you at all in my post, I was only saying that posts don't count as saves. Of course, the goalie knows best how well he's playing (I've had bad games with "good" stats, and good games with "bad" stats). I also don't think that you, or even the coaching staff would intentionally try to pad anybody's stats.

And OF COURSE I'm playing summer league. I can't wait to get back and dominate like old times. javascript:emoticon(':unsure:')

Total Side-Note: Too bad I can't take any of the cool gear that I've gotten up here with me, the coaches want it back. The new Gait gloves are awesome, they feel like you're not wearing 'em, and my old team gloves got busted, the thumb got ripped wide open by this one kid after about a week.

Hey, anybody that's played MBA how good is Carver? Did he play well against the Brothers, or was CBHS' offense just sputtering yesterday?

Also, good to hear about the Webb kid, he's put up good numbers the past couple of years, and I haven't been able to see him play as we didn't play them last year.

And just to note, I was saying thumb in the last post, I don't know why there's a little green smiley there.

Edit: What the heck? I'm trying to say thumb, t-h-u-m-b.

Edited by Kapman4