Cheatham County Information

CoachT

The coach is responsible!!!  At the beginning of the season the COACH and school PRINCIPAL must sign an ELGIBILITY report for each player and turn it in to TSSAA.  It is their responibility to make SURE every player on their team is elgible to play, PERIOD!!!

825573840[/snapback]

Eazy there Courtside... "Eligibility report" on the player... Not a background check to see if the parents have been to the election office and changed their voting precent or the mailing address on their cell phone bill.

Anministrations job.... yes it is...but which administrative office??...principal or board of ed??...I don't know.

I still see most of the responsibility falling on the parents...And they apologized in front of mid. Tennessee on the news.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eazy there Courtside... "Eligibility report" on the player... Not a background check  to see if the parents have been to the election office and changed their voting precent or the mailing address on their cell phone bill. 

Anministrations job.... yes it is...but which administrative office??...principal or board of ed??...I don't know.

I still see most of the responsibility falling on the parents...And they apologized in front of mid. Tennessee on the news.

825574083[/snapback]

Sory if i seemed to come across a little strong. As a basketball coach in Tn. i do know the responsibility of a school in dealing with transfer players. The principal trusts the coaches to have made every available effort to insure the player is elgible. The coach MUST contact the previous school for the players athletic record, have a physical address that verifies the move as legit, and notify TSSAA of this change and RECIEVE AN OFFICIAL OKAY FROM TSSAA IN WRITING. If the coach wants to verify a voting registration, that depends on how thorough the coach wants to insure that something like what happened recently, does not occur in his or her program. The coach is the head of the program, he is responsible for the good or the bad that happens.

What about a kid who is kicked off of a team for discipline purposes that were warranted ? Said kid ups and moves to another school and magically becomes eligible. Kid never "received" the punishment and never learned a life lesson for it.

825573782[/snapback]

That kid has to be released by the principal of the school she was kicked off of.

The principal has to sign a statement saying that kid was not under disciplinary action. If not...that kid is ineligible for 12 months.

Edited by Antwan

Sory if i seemed to come across a little strong.  As a basketball coach in Tn. i do know the responsibility of a school in dealing with transfer players.  The principal trusts the coaches to have made every available effort to insure the player is elgible.  The coach MUST contact the previous school for the players athletic record, have a physical address that verifies the move as legit, and notify TSSAA of this change and RECIEVE AN OFFICIAL OKAY FROM TSSAA IN WRITING.  If the coach wants to verify a voting registration, that depends on how thorough the coach wants to insure that something like what happened recently, does not occur in his or her program.  The coach is the head of the program, he is responsible for the good or the bad that happens.

825574138[/snapback]

I'm beginning to understand a bit better now, thanks.

I just didn't think the coach could do all that without being in violation of recruitment. I know if it got out a coach was going that deep into parents personal buisness he would definately be accused. Thanks agian!

thats a problem, a coach should not contact a school for records. It is the job of the registrar or guidance counselor and should be reviewed by the assistant principal or principal. That is your accountability.

And that is only after a Family has contacted the school in regard to transferring. A student must be totally withdrawn from another school before they can enroll. A coach contacting another school is very gray to illegal.

Edited by noonesfool

thats a problem, a coach should not contact a school for records. It is the job of the registrar or guidance counselor and should be reviewed by the assistant principal or principal. That is your accountability.

825574359[/snapback]

It is not a problem. The coach contacts the previous schools coach for the transfer players ATHLETIC record. This is not the school record. That is how it is done. Your accountability begins and ends with the coach.

Explain what an athletic record is because until they transfer you have no business with an athletic reord from another school. Thanks for your reply in advance.

825574368[/snapback]

You are exactly right. Until the player officially enrolls into the new school the coach cannot have any contact with the player or their family. Once the player enrolls the coach contacts the former coach of the player and asks information about playing time and the last date when the player actually played in a game or a practice. TSSAA calls it an athletic record but it is not an actual piece of paper that follows a player around like a school record. If the player transferring is not allowed to play, according to TSSAA rules, then the player must wait 12 months to the day from the last game or practice they participated in. Hope this helps.