Cleveland vs. Ooltewah - Thursday Night

InDepthInsider

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you are on here ripping Little, they always say that jealousy brings out the worst in people...especially in athletics! I would be willing to bet that all of you that have the negative things to say about him have never made it past high school athletics yourself. I will be the first to say that Charles Little does not play to his capabilities. He should absolutely dominate in every area on the high school level. What most of you do not know is that you can not coach or teach what he has and that is pure athletic ability. There aren't too many coaches, high school or college, that would disagree with that. That is why he has the chance to be a good college player. Everything to this point has come natural to him. Last night he had 22 points and 20 rebounds with little effort. If you all would be honest, you would have to admit that he is an excellent passer and sees the floor better than most guards do. That is, if you know anything about basketball. Does he need a jump shot, yes he most certainly does. Can he develop that, yes he can. And with his natural talent, that can be developed pretty quickly. He will get that at the next level. He hasn't had to have that in high school because he can dominate within two feet of the basket. There aren't too many high school players, when he plays 100%, that can stop him inside the paint! But in college he will have to have a jump shot to play. That is what individual workouts weekly with your postition coach are for in college...to develop, refine, and maintain fundamentals!

I understand where you all can say that he doesn't play hard all of the time...I totally agree. But as far as his ability and his future...it could be as big or as little as he wants it to be...he has that potential. Only time will tell. College is a completely different level. One thing is for sure, he signed the scholarship so evidentally one pretty good D-1 program sees his assets and potential and so does the McDonald's High School All-American committee!

So next year when he is playing D-1 and competing against some of the best teams in the country, many of you will still be sitting here writing on coacht about the next high school player that you can pick out to criticize and belittle because you have nothing better to do and because you never made it past high school!

All you are on here ripping Little, they always say that jealousy brings out the worst in people...especially in athletics!  I would be willing to bet that all of you that have the negative things to say about him have never made it past high school athletics yourself.  I will be the first to say that Charles Little does not play to his capabilities.  He should absolutely dominate in every area on the high school level.  What most of you do not know is that you can not coach or teach what he has and that is pure athletic ability.  There aren't too many coaches, high school or college, that would disagree with that.  That is why he has the chance to be a good college player.  Everything to this point has come natural to him.  Last night he had 22 points and 20 rebounds with little effort.  If you all would be honest, you would have to admit that he is an excellent passer and sees the floor better than most guards do.  That is, if you know anything about basketball.  Does he need a jump shot, yes he most certainly does.  Can he develop that, yes he can.  And with his natural talent, that can be developed pretty quickly.  He will get that at the next level.  He hasn't had to have that in high school because he can dominate within two feet of the basket.  There aren't too many high school players, when he plays 100%, that can stop him inside the paint!  But in college he will have to have a jump shot to play.  That is what individual workouts weekly with your postition coach are for in college...to develop, refine, and maintain fundamentals! 

I understand where you all can say that he doesn't play hard all of the time...I totally agree.  But as far as his ability and his future...it could be as big or as little as he wants it to be...he has that potential.  Only time will tell.  College is a completely different level.  One thing is for sure, he signed the scholarship so evidentally one pretty good D-1 program sees his assets and potential and so does the McDonald's High School All-American committee!

So next year when he is playing D-1 and competing against some of the best teams in the country, many of you will still be sitting here writing on coacht about the next high school player that you can pick out to criticize and belittle because you have nothing better to do and because you never made it past high school!

825572548[/snapback]

couldn't have said it better

What most of you do not know is that you can not coach or teach what he has and that is pure athletic ability.

Last night he had 22 points and 20 rebounds with little effort. 

If you all would be honest, you would have to admit that he is an excellent passer and sees the floor better than most guards do.  That is, if you know anything about basketball. 

825572548[/snapback]

1)exactly, he has pure athletic ability, that doesn't make him a good basketball player, there are plenty of guys out there with pure athletice ability

2)you summed it all up right there, with little effort, the kid doesn't care and doesnt' try at all, why not? he thinks he has it all already, and you can tell this by his attitude about everything

3)he is not an excellent passer, and i know plenty about basketball, and all the times i've witnessed him he doesn't see the floor well, he's just lookin for his next dunk, nothing else...the only way you'd say he sees the floor better than anyone is that he is taller than everyone..he doesn't see the floor in a basketball perspective, like a guard does so quit tryin to build him up more than he is

yes he has all the talent in the world but no drive to be good, so until that is seen he wont be great

Maybe to Ooltewah fans are mad because they haven't beat Charles Little since he has been playin high school basketball. What his he against Ootlewah? 9-0???

825572638[/snapback]

am i mad that i never beat him?...no, maybe disappointed, but why would i be hung up on what happened in high school thats just stupid, but anyway i dont think you can account any of those victories to just charles little...they've had lots of intangibles in his years...trey sharp(in my opinion the best player to play there in charles time, and thats including charles, his posts moves were 10 times better than charles' he just didn't have the size, but he could go outside too) tim cooper and jay davis also helped take a lot of pressure off charles but hitting down outside shots and keeping teams honest, so by no means did charles himself beat ooltewah 9 times....i would like to see the kid excel in basketball but until he changes his work ethic and other things im afraid we wont get to see it..its always good to see people from chattanooga go on and play well at the next level

Ok, well here's my assessment of the game.  And althought I graduated from Ooltewah several years ago, I'm not a huge Ooltewah bball fan, so I'm going to try to be as unbiased as I can.

Well, either team could have won this game.  Ooltewah controlled the 1st quarter, but then their offense fell apart for the second quarter.  Going into the second quartyer leading 20-19, Ooltewah managed 7 points the entire quarter.  And 3 of those came on Brandon Browns 3 point buzzer beater.  Se essentially, the Owls scored 4 points in the second quarter.  This was definately a momentum change, and although Ooltewah outscored Cleveland 28-17 in the 3rd quarter, the second quarter is where the Owls lost it.  Anyways, you've all heard the rest of the game from InDepth.  But my thoughts:

Ooltewah needs to be consistent.  They aren't the biggest guys out there, but Ooltewah never has been.  They play small ball and manage to get it done.  But because they don't have a 6'6" Little, the key to their success is playing THEIR game for ALL 4 quarters - not just 2.5 or 3!

Cleveland is a good basketball team, but it seems to me when they play a 'good' team later in the post season, they will not be able to keep up.  Seems like most of their points come from putbacks right under the basket.  Play a team that can man up on Little and they're in trouble.  Maybe there aren't any?!?

Anyways, great game to both teams!  Definately a fun one to watch!  MY only crtiticism is this:

I know Charles Little is the guy everyone LOVES to HATE.  Bottom line is, he's a good high school basketball player.  He doesn't do anything spectacular, he's just taller than everyone else.  Either way, I admire and respect his basketball abilities.  But after the game, he walked right by where I was sitting and told some of the Ooltewah fans to "shut the F up you sorry A mother Fer!"  I do understand the Ooltewah kids had been ragging his inability to shoot a basketball the entire night, but he's gotta have more self control than that.  The farther he goes in his bball career, the more ribbing he's going to receive.  If he can't handle it, he needs to find another sport.  Here in high school bball, the onus falls on the coach!

825572288[/snapback]

you mean there is no one else that they played in all 20 something games that had someone who is 6'5 or taller? i find that very hard to believe :o