USJ recruiting rumors?

BrettDawson

QUOTE(necvol @ Feb 24 2005 - 10:58 AM)

Coach Dyer was not the Head Coach when The parents made the decision to send their child to USJ>

That's were your wrong..  This player played on Dyer's summer teams and when he went to USJ after X-mas break last year Dyer was the HEAD COACH.

825583746[/snapback]

Read my quote again, I stand by my statement that Coach Dyer was not the Head Coach @ USJ when the DECISION was made by the parents. The parents made their decision years earlier.

Edited by necvol

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The player in question comes from a family with a strong backing in baseball. His older brother played in Lextington on there state team and he is a very good player hisself.  If this player wants to play ball a USJ or any other private school then let him.  It's not his fault about the driving issue.  let's not point fingers  his way. 

The TSSAA ask for them to find another way for him to go back and forth.  So they have for now and after he turns 16 and can drive hisself what will the ones that notified the TSSAA come up with?

As for recruiting---All schools do it on way or another.

When bosters find out how good players are in all sports they start hounding the parents for them to come to there school.

825583719[/snapback]

The TSSAA has already said in writing that they do NOT consider this situation to be a recruting violation. Therefore, if recruting is not the issue, then the issue is can any Coach give a kid a ride to or from school as a matter of convenience. If the TSSAA rules that a Coach can not give a student a ride, almost every Public and Private school in the State will find that they are also in violation.

Another important factor is that Coach Dyer was not deviating from his normal route in providing this student a ride.

Let's look at another example of how impractical it is to say a Coach can not give a student /athlete a ride for convenience. Let's say 2 months from now this same student/athlete is on his way home from USJ and he has a wreck or runs out of gas between Jackson and Lexington. Coach Dyer leaves for home after the student/athlete and he sees the student athlete's vehicle on the side of the road and realized that the student/athlete needs help. What is he supposed to do? Based on the current position of the TSSAA, Coach Dyer would be required to by-pass the student/athlete and let him fend for himself. How rediculous would this situation be?

Edited by necvol

I believe that the TSSAA was saying that this could viewed as "illegal inducements" (i.e. recruiting) and therefore this is why they told him to stop. I also am real sure that Gant was all set to follow his brother to Lexington until there was a change in Principals there. I know this because I know the Gant family. They decided on USJ for whatever reason and that is fine. I don't think that coaches should be giving players a ride to school every single day. This opens up too much liability for the coach, player, school, and etc. I don't see where the occasional ride is all that bad, but everyday in this situation looks and smells like recruiting. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck and this is way the TSSAA views things. There is no prejudice against USJ anymore than there is a prejudice against any other school in the state. They get no preferential treatment and are not looked at any different than any other private school But, let's face, private schools have to follow a different set of rules than public schools do due to the simple fact that they draw students from outside of a set district. I hold no grudges against any parent that would want to better their child by helping them get a private school education. I do fault coaches that think they are "Better" than other coaches because they are at a private school, and I'm afraid that this might be the case here.

I believe that the TSSAA was saying that this could viewed as "illegal inducements" (i.e. recruiting) and therefore this is why they told him to stop.  I also am real sure that Gant was all set to follow his brother to Lexington until there was a change in Principals there.  I know this because I know the Gant family.  They decided on USJ for whatever reason and that is fine.  I don't think that coaches should be giving players a ride to school every single day.  This opens up too much liability for the coach, player, school, and etc.  I don't see where the occasional ride is all that bad, but everyday in this situation looks and smells like recruiting.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck and this is way the TSSAA views things.  There is no prejudice against USJ anymore than there is a prejudice against any other school in the state.  They get no preferential treatment and are not looked at any different than any other private school  But, let's face, private schools have to follow a different set of rules than public schools do due to the simple fact that they draw students from outside of a set district.  I hold no grudges against any parent that would want to better their child by helping them get a private school education.  I do fault coaches that think they are "Better" than other coaches because they are at a private school, and I'm afraid that this might be the case here.

825584469[/snapback]

There are many many students and yes student/athletes that cross set district lines to go to public schools. Always has been and always will be unless laws are changed. This is the bogus reasoning that brought on the multiplier. Once again the TSSAA has said in writing that they do not consider this situation a recruiting violation!!!

What’s the difference in what this coach did and what Shelbyville girl’s basketball coach does? He had girls that don’t go to that school ride the bus with the team to a game. But the TSSAA lets that slide??

825585712[/snapback]

The difference is Shebyville is a Public School while USJ is a Private School. The rules are intrepreted differently for Public vs Private Schools.

The Gant kid is the best pitcher for his age that has ever been through west tn. Don't tell me that a deal wasn't made that "if you enroll your child at USJ and he plays baseball I will supply a ride from Lexington." It is recruiting in the strongest sense. Cut and Dried.  :ph34r:

825586505[/snapback]

Kirby, you are wrong on this one. The parents in this situation can easily afford to drive their son to Jackson. The parents ask up front if they should have any concern about carpooling from Lexington to Jackson. It was deemed approperiate because Coach Dyer was not deviating from his normal route to or from Jackson. Again, the TSSAA has stated in writing that they DO NOT CONSIDER THIS A VIOLATION.

By the way, we are all very happy for J.P. I watched th State Championship football game and was cheering for J.P. and Huntingdon all the way. Congrats!!

Edited by necvol

I just got more info on the situation.  Apparently, the USJ coach was driving a fresman player to school each day that lives outside of Madison County.  The school found out and asked him to stop.  He didn't and the situation was turned in by an outside source to the TSSAA. They gave USJ the option of suspending the coach or take 1 year of probation.  They chose the former and the coach was suspended.  I still haven't found out the duration, but my iron clad source tells me that he will be fired and that Joesph Talley from Chester Co. is in line for the job now.  I wonder if Coach Carey would come back now?  Also, do you think a certain reporter at the Jackson Sun with a kids at USJ and another that just graduated is keeping a finger on this to keep it from being published?  Also, is the school keeping it hush hush to keep down appearances that everything isn't so rosy in paradise?

825581243[/snapback]

well, you really need to know the facts before you start talking about what you don't know about. What's the definition of suspension? coach Dyer is still teaching and still employeed by USJ, Why don't you read the article in the Jackson Sun? Whom ever continued to make a moutain out of a mole hill is just jealous over a good ballplayer? TSSAA didn't find a violation, the school didn't suspend anyone, Coach Dyer is Taking a little time away from the field to let all you loud mouths keep spreading rumors you have no IDEA about. Carey left to pursue a pharmaceutical rep job thinking he could make more money. Why would he take a less paying job now? Before you open your mouth, next time think if you're really lying about a bunch of Bull.