District 6-AAA Tournament Talk

InDepthInsider

I was talking to josh mcalpin today(had the technical called on him in OT) and he said after the game he was walking out to his car and the ref that called the 'T' approched him and told him that "Y'all (SD Players) should be ashamed of the way yall act when yall are on the floor and how you talk back to us". From what i could tell the brainerd players were the only ones complaining about the calls. Coach shumate told the trojans after last fridays game with brainerd not to even look at the officials if they make a call. And what was up with Emanuel Talley getting ejected from the game, but no tech's called????? I just don't understand why these officials are so horrible. Soddy played there hearts out and deserved to win the game and the officials took it away from them.

On another note for the game thursday, i believe ooltewah will beat brainerd by more than 8, and i don't know if soddy will be emotionally prepared to play again, today at school all the players were pretty bummed about the game, i hope they can pull it together.

Go Trojans!!

825582134[/snapback]

Did I miss something?... Emmanual Talley got ejected?

I know that Ooltewah's assistant Coach got ejected without recieving any technicals against Temple last Tuesday. And he did not have to sit out any games cause no techs were issued. But I don't think that Talley got ejected cause i could have sworn he was on the court at the end of the game.

Edited by Fanatic15

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talley was ejected? I hope that doesn't mean he will get suspended for more games, that will be even worse for Brainerd. Or maybe that only applies if he gets two T's, I don't know.

GoldenFlake- not being able to beat a good team three times applies just as much to Ooltewah vs. Brainerd as it does Soddy vs. Ooltewah, maybe moreso given the margins of their wins (4 total vs. 29 total). While it sounds like SD was treated unfairly by the refs (I have no idea, I wasn't there), Brainerd deserves to be in the championship round for going undefeated in the district all season. And while it is disappointing that Sanders won't be there, Brainerd still has plenty of talent to make this an exciting game.

And I'll agree with Fanatic that it would be a better atmosphere if Soddy were playing, I hope that plenty of Ooltewah and Brainerd fans show up to give their teams support. I was disappointed by the fan turnout for the Red Bank game, hopefully the later start time will allow more people to come.

Well does the Cumberland and Cleveland game really put a twist on things. This really puts even more pressure on Ooltewah and Brainerd. Assuming Bradley can hold off Cumberland and Cleveland can beat McMinn then it would put the winner of the Ooltewah-Brainerd game in the bracket with McMinn, Cumberland, and the winner of Soddy and Red Bank. Where as the loser would have to be on the same side of the bracket as Cleveland and Bradley. And its not that a team wants to be on the same side of the bracket as Cumberland, but they just don't want to be on the same side as Cleveland and Bradley. That makes a huge difference come Region Tournament time.

Edited by InDepthInsider

He didn't get ejected though. Refs are allowed to tell a player to exit the game in that situation. I have seen it happen many times. Talley was on the floor when the game ended.

825582187[/snapback]

yeah a ref can issue a player to the bench for not having his jersey tucked in or not allow him to come in the game if he's checking in, etc. but its not an ejection you can come back in as soon as the jersey's tucked in

Well does the Cumberland and Cleveland game really put a twist on things. This really puts even more pressure on Ooltewah and Brainerd. Assuming Bradley can hold off Cumberland and Cleveland can beat McMinn then it would put the winner of the Ooltewah-Brainerd game in the bracket with McMinn, Cumberland, and the winner of Soddy and Red Bank. Where as the loser would have to be on the same side of the bracket as Cleveland and Bradley. And its not that a team wants to be on the same side of the bracket as Cumberland, but they just don't want to be on the same side as Cleveland and Bradley.  That makes a huge difference come Region Tournament time.

825582436[/snapback]

yeah unless clevelands coach is a coward like rhea county's and loses on purpose so he doesn't have to be on the same side of the bracket as bradley in the region

I heard sanders got in a fight and came out on the bad end of it, but i don't know how true it is.....and i want to say that in my mind the Trojans won the game last night and it should be Ooltewah vs. Soddy in the finals.

825581878[/snapback]

but alas, young bush they don't play games in your mind they play them on the court. Maybe you'll get a shot at Ooltewah in the Region. Better beat Red Bank though cause otherwise it's one and out with Bradley.

I just wanted to say good games to all last night. Both boys games where very competitive. The lions let the Owls get too far out to make a successful comeback, but I was proud of the way they fought back.

The Brainerd/SD game was a barnburner. The refs must have it in for the Trojans as they got it stuck to them several times. The technical was just a retaliation for some of the fans expressing their disgust with some of the horrible calls the Trojans got. I don't ever remember the officiating being as bad as it has been this year. Soddy was throwing the ball in on an inbounds pass twice and Brainerd's man crashed into Soddy's man both times from behind and the refs called fouls on Soddy. It was horrible. The refs this year have promoted the fans vocal displeasure with pitiful displays of "officiating", then look for someone to call a technical on or to throw out of the gym. I wish something could be done in this area. The players and coaches do well to put up with the poor quality officiating in Chattanooga.

825582063[/snapback]

The refs always have it in for anyone that plays Brainerd especially at Brainerd. Just one of the side benefits of 29 successful years coaching here in town. Nothing that happened in this game could have been as bad as the foul called in the second Ooltewah/Brainerd game with 1.4 seconds left in a mad scramble on the floor that basically handed Brainerd the game. I think the correct 2 teams are playing in the final. They are very evenly matched, when Brainerd had Sanders. Looking for an Owl route, they have something to prove. Soddy-Daisy had a good year, 18-13 record is very deceiving since it was not the toughest schedule I have seen lots of beating up on A and AA schools, whereas Ooltewah Finished Season with Brainerd, Temple, Cleveland, and Rhea. Definitely gets you into the tournament mode. Had Soddy-Daisy played the same schedule they have played in years past (Brainerd, Cleveland, Bradley, Howard, Cumberland, Ooltewah, Red Bank, Central, Rhea, CCS all twice) I am sure they would not have been much better than the record of last year.

I notice Shumate quoting in the Chattanoogan that SD was used to one and out in the District tourney, when in fact last year was the first time in 5 years they were one and out, actually had 2 championships and 2 runner ups before that. hmmm.. Perhaps he should beat Brainerd, Bradley, Howard, Ooltewah, Cleveland, Baylor or some of the other schools they have beaten in the last 5 years before he starts running down the past coach in the papers.

I notice Shumate quoting in the Chattanoogan that SD was used to one and out in the District tourney, when in fact last year was the first time in 5 years they were one and out, actually had 2 championships and 2 runner ups before that. hmmm..  Perhaps he should beat Brainerd, Bradley, Howard, Ooltewah, Cleveland, Baylor or some of the other schools they have beaten in the last 5 years before he starts running down the past coach in the papers.

825583120[/snapback]

Hmmm...interesting...all we heard about was this new coach!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the Brainerd/Ooltewah game tonight. This will be a good, close game with or without Sanders. I just hope a lot of people make it out to the game.