Why State should be double elimination

CoachBray

This is another argument for having a single state tournament in wrestling! Each weight class currently has 45 matches in Division I and 21-31 in Division II, for a grand total of 66-76. With a single tournament, a 32-man double elimination would require only 61, so there would even be room to add a few slots. (If team scoring is eliminated, as it might have to be for political reasons, the byes wouldn't even have that to screw up.) This would also enable the addition of 7th and 8th places.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DII needs to have a qualifying tournament and only bring eight. That would free up some time for more DI matches, especially if the tournament starts in the 12:00-2:00 range on Thursday. Of course, that will never happen because the private schools are the tail that wags the dog in Tennessee wrestling.

Look at the duals-130 DI schools, 8 qualifiers-DII 17 or so schools, 8 qualifiers.

Any kid who qualifies, especially under the new system of only three, deserves the chance to wrestle twice.

And if it is true that Notre Dame and Catholic get to add their medalists to their region' s total, it is further proof of how unfair things are in this regard.

And we don't need one tournament, especially now that some DII wrestlers are not from Tennessee. Make us all work with the same thing, then push unification. If not, just leave that alone.

Perhaps instead of starting only two hours earlier on Thursday, wrestling could begin in the morning.  This way, Friday wouldn't have to necessarily be longer.  Teams could do their travelling on Wednesday night.  Although I acknowledge the importance of school, missing another hour or two of class shouldn't be a big problem.  Besides, how many wrestlers would be concentrating on school when state is so close?  I know it wasn't on my mind that Wednesday afternoon.

825579028[/snapback]

Our students don't even go to school that Thursday. We have to leave Smyrna at 9:00 am just to make sure we have time to check into the hotel and make weigh-ins due to the time difference. We could easily get down there and ready to wrestle by 9:00 am. If need be we could come down that Wed night. Just the added expense would be a little speed bump to get over.

CoachDelgado...on 10 mats.

It's in the works for next year to run all 5 state tounaments (1A - 5A) at one location.  If that does happen we will probably start on Thursday and run on 10 to 12 mats.

825579225[/snapback]

Good luck with that. In our current arena there is only room for 8 mats. I still believe that we can run the event in a timely manner with double elimination.