Perry Co. vs Summertown

PCGod

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a game by both teams. The atmosphere was great, even though it was hotter then an oven set at 500 degrees in there. Perry County controlled much of the game until around the end of the 3rd quarter when Summertown made a run with Weatherly and Rhodes of PC on the bench in foul trouble with 4 each. Edney, however, kept it close (all by herself I might add) until Rhodes and Weatherly got back into the ballgame with about 4:30 left to go in the last quarter. From there the Lady Vikings once again took control of the game and seemed to have it in the bag with a 4 point lead and :30 seconds left to go on the clock. Then Lovett (who was doing some massive carrying the ball tonight) got an offensive rebound and put it in with about :30 seconds left to go. After that Summertown did what Summertown does best, and that's play defense as they forced a :10 second call on the Lady Vikings in the backcourt and got the ball back. Summertown got the ball back with about :20 seconds left to go and Lovett hit an uncontested Layup with about :6 seconds left to force overtime. In overtime, Weatherly fouled out with 2:30 left to go and it was all downhill from there as Edney was able to keep it close until about 1:20 left to go when Summertown got a loose ball and got a layup to seal the game.

The refs tonight were horrible. They were horrible on both sides. I have never seen so many fouls (or charges for that matter) called in a single game. It hurt Perry County alot worse then it did Summertown as Summertown has more depth. I understand that this was a physical game but some of those calls were insane. Also, there was so much carrying going on tonight that it was ridiculous. Rhodes of Perry County did it quite a bit and Lovett of Summertown did it all night long. Despite the refs though, this was an awesome game to witness.

Endey, Weatherly, and Lovett were absolutely unconcious tonight. Edney ended up with 38 (5 3-pointers), Weatherly 17, and Lovett 26 (5 3-Pointers). What won this game for Summertown was when Weatherly went out on her phantom 4th foul and Summertown was able to capitalize on the inside with Franks. That really hurt the Lady Vikings as A. Dabbs and D. Qualls were unable to stop Franks in the low post.

Congrats to both teams on a very well played game. There were no losers tonight and if both teams play like that from here on out, we will be seeing them both in Murfreesboro come March. Also, congrats to Edney on her District 12A MVP, she proved tonight why she deserved it.

Congrats to Summertown, really wish I coulda been there for this one.. Knew it was gonna be a close game and prolly down to the wire, glad to see we came out on top though and got that district championship.. hated that I had to miss this one. Best of luck in the regionals, perry county too.. maybe we'll meet again in the regional c-ship like last year (which is likely) and hopefully we can put two 12A teams back in state this year back 2 back. thumb

Edited by timdawg21

What really surprised me about PC is only two players even shot the ball in the first half.  These two players had all but 4 points of their score.  Two other girls scored 2 apeice at the free throw line.  If they had more scorers they'd really but awesome.

825585661[/snapback]

PC has players that can score. But, when weatherly went to the bench they started shooting 30 footers before anyone could get back to rebound.

ptguard12, your assessment of the officiating is correct - it was horrible on both teams.

Its a shame when you have a district championship game, between 2 top-ranked teams and those 3 officials are the best the T$$AA can put on the floor. The crew for the Consolation game was even worse.

Officials Supervisor Ray Moffet was at the game, though he tried to hide over the in the corner - after all I'm sure he saw no problems with the officiating.

Again the officials failed to let the outcome be determined by the players :huh: . Both Summertown and Perry Co. were in early foul trouble. In a Championship game, I prefer to see ALL players play, but this "particular" officiating crew(ie Mr. Reed) always has to make it about himselves and not the players (I'm sure it will be the same in tonights Boys Championship game). Granted that this was a very difficult game to call due to the intensity on both sides, but many phantom calls were made on key players that affected the outcome of this game and they were made by this same official ( 2 on Weatherly, 2 on Rhodes, 1 on Edney to start the game). PC practices the "step thru" move every day and Weatherly executed it perfectly but was call for 2 charging fouls because Reed and already predetermined what he was going to call. Shame to the head of the officiating crew for sending this crew to call this game. Still PC should have won in regulation but with 30 sec. remaining and up 2 with the ball, PC should have recognized that a 10 sec. violation was about to occur and should have call a time out. Anyways, great game and look forward to the Region Tourney.