Coaching Courtesy when scouting

options86

I was at the 7AA game between York and Upperman (I was not supporting upperman, so don't try to turn it personal in that direction). The head coach from Smith Co. sat directly behind Dana (Upperman's head coach) with a note pad. He took notes during the first half of things she would say to her players in timeouts and one on one conversations. His assistant stayed until almost the end of regulation. Is that normal, I have never seen that before. I personally did not think that it was a very professionally courteous thing to do. Any other opinions about things of that nature.

Any time I have seen scouts at games they usually sit in the stands and watch and make notes during the game - never seen or heard of someone sitting right behind the bench to actually hear what the coach says to their players. Maybe trying to see how fragile emotionally they are to try and get in someones head with one of their own players. Just an opinion - never really seen anyone do that.

I don't think that I've ever seen that happen either. Usually the coaches that I see that come to scout the games sit either dead in the middle of the gym or as high as they can get on the bleachers. I don't know why that is. The sitting behind the coach thing is interesting though. However, if I was the one coaching, it would probably drive me insane knowing that someone was sitting there writting down everything that I said.

when scouting I usually sit as high as I can. I want to be by myself or wih 1 other person who is there to help me. I can see the whole floor and I am interested in the movement of everyone, not just one person. I concentrate better away from all the noise also. Behind the bench ,TACKY!

I was at the 7AA game between York and Upperman (I was not supporting upperman, so don't try to turn it personal in that direction). The head coach from Smith Co. sat directly behind Dana (Upperman's head coach) with a note pad. He took notes during the first half of things she would say to her players in timeouts and one on one conversations. His assistant stayed until almost the end of regulation. Is that normal, I have never seen that before. I personally did not think that it was a very professionally courteous thing to do. Any other opinions about things of that nature.

825584166[/snapback]

No one really worries about Smith Co. Coach :)

Believe it or not some schools STILL don't tape their games. However, film swapping with a common opponent happens all of the time.

825585371[/snapback]

Tell ya what, brutus, I'll give you "My Fair Lady," and "The Breakfast Club," if I can just get a copy of the one You made with Jack Nick. in the mid-seventies: "One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest." You do remember?

when scouting I usually sit as high as I can. I want to be by myself or wih 1 other person who is there to help me. I can see the whole floor and I am interested in the movement of everyone, not just one person. I concentrate better away from all the noise also. Behind the bench ,TACKY!

825584450[/snapback]

I sit directly behind the bench in most cases. Knowing a coaches tendenies is important in close tournament games. Of course, when you coach, your job is on the line all the time so you do whatever you can to give your team the upper hand. Having you team prepared is the main focus of all scouts. When I sit up high, I get easily distracted. When I'm down close, it's like I'm a part of the team and I can absorb everything the coach is saying. Would you want your child sitting in the back of a class or the front?

I think the best thing do in scouting is to try and get where you can see everthing develop. So I personally preferred sitting at the top and in a position by myself or who I went with so my focus is on why I am at the game. Less distractions. I think this was not very professional on the coach's part. If I had been the coach of the team being scouted I would have moved the chairs out on the floor. I think this is pretty smart anyway. It helps to keep the players focused on what is being discussed during the timeout or quarter break.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Dyersburg may win back to back to back championships. They are going to be hands down the best 3A team.
    • I remember very well watching things change in the late 80's and yes it's all schools. Most people that are in charge today have any idea because they were raised and taught under this social experiment so they don't have a clue. Anyone that does see the truth for what it is usually try and hide it by blending in so that the School Gestapo doesn't round them up and take them to the Fuhrer ( kindly putting it ). Yes it is all schools not just Maryville. This train ride is not headed in a good direction and if the public had seen a movie of what's happening now back in 1980 everyone would have been headed home afterwards to change underware.  
    • Hoping to make the playoffs.
    • You are so correct!  It’s really 99.9% of academia want to change to way that education is not only taught but the way it is viewed.  The pendulum has definitely swung as far to the left as possible and eventually will swing to the right much too far.  I have always  said that politics and one’s personal religious views need to stay out of education,  but for the last 40 years education has been running full throttle to what we have today.  If the social experiment that we are currently experiencing continues it is only a matter of time before the public school system in the USA completely collapses and all kids attend private schools or even worse don’t go to school.
    • He was a bruise but Aaron Dykes is HVA’s best RB ever.