Why is any private in DI?

Huh?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever been to South Pittsburg or virtually any other town or city in the state that boasts a state championship team in any sport?  In most every case, there is a sign that says something like, "South Pittsburg -- Home of the Pirates, State Football Champions 1969, 1999, etc." 

Is that not advertising?

BTW, who pays for those signs?  Is it tax-payer produced?

825629019[/snapback]

This is how it works in the alternative universe of private/public debate.

When Red Bank won the state (Riggs' junior year) there was a big billboard with a picture of Red Bank's team on it as you entered Red Bank.

That was town pride.

When McCallie won the state a couple of years later, there was a bill board across from campus with our team's picture on it.

That was advertising.

Or as the TSSAA's executive committee regularly tells its private school members, "Heads we win, tales you lose".

This is how it works in the alternative universe of private/public debate.

When Red Bank won the state (Riggs' junior year) there was a big billboard with a picture of Red Bank's team on it as you entered Red Bank.

That was town pride.

When McCallie won the state a couple of years later, there was a bill board across from campus with our team's picture on it.

That was advertising.

Or as the TSSAA's executive committee regularly tells its private school members, "Heads we win, tales you lose".

825629329[/snapback]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the loss of gate revenue to public schools when privates no longer schedule them.  Privates almost always bring big gates.

825627564[/snapback]

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE BIGGER SCHOOLS, LIKE IN 5A, 4A, 3A, OR 2A, BUT IN 1A MOST OF THE TIME YOUR BIG GATE MONEY ISN'T WITH PRIVATE SCHOOLS UNLESS IT'S A RIVALRY. I GO TO MT. PLEASANT AND OUR BIGGEST GAME WAS AGAINST WAYNE CO. IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAINST FRA, DCA, AND CPA THERE WAS NO WHERE NEAR AS MANY PEOPLE.

Not to mention the loss of gate revenue to public schools when privates no longer schedule them.  Privates almost always bring big gates.

825627564[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding. The privates we have played were usually our smallest gates of the year. It wasn't close.

I can't speak for all over the state, but USJ, JCS, and TCA all bring good crowds to district games, producing some of the best gates of the season in football, basketball, soccer, and baseball. That's not grasping at straws, but just telling it like it is in 1A in West Tennessee.

That was 3 of the 4 teams, Gocart, I was talking about. They never brought any big crowds to Perry County.

825631002[/snapback]

I'll give you that. I'm not a Tennessee native so yall be patient - is Perry County in West Tennessee or Middle Tennessee?

I also specified district games. Is Perry County in that district?

Edited by Gocart