More families plan moves for athletics

Bighurt

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article makes it clear contact has to be begun by the parents, not the coaches. That's a point I've made several times on the girls basketball board about Shelbyville, but none of the supporters ever responds (except in remarks like "winners attract winners") and then a thread gets locked because people get angry. The way I interpret the rules, a player's family can't talk to the coach of another team about playing there until the student is registered, how in the world can a point guard from school x 100 miles from Shelbyville know if another point is not already transferring, or if a great point rising from 8th grade will be hard to beat out for a starting/contributing spot, without talking to the coach first? If the family is unsure, how could any just pack up and move?

The article makes it clear contact has to be begun by the parents, not the coaches. That's a point I've made several times on the girls basketball board about Shelbyville, but none of the supporters ever responds (except in remarks like "winners attract winners") and then a thread gets locked because people get angry. The way I interpret the rules, a player's family can't talk to the coach of another team about playing there until the student is registered, how in the world can a point guard from school x 100 miles from Shelbyville know if another point is not already transferring, or if a great point rising from 8th grade will be hard to beat out for a starting/contributing spot, without talking to the coach first? If the family is unsure, how could any just pack up and move?

825605251[/snapback]

It is called hard work and dedication. You work hard and stay dedicated to the program, things will happen for you. About someone transferring in that you don't know about, that is the chance you can take even at your current school unless you have a really bad program there. Transfer happen all over the state in sports and academics but no one gets more attention than Shelbyville. Watch these teams play and watch their aau programs. If your worried about a starting position then maybe you need to stay put. I don't believe anyone "gets" a position at Shelbyville, you earn it. Your either good or not. And it may seem odd but Winners do attract Winners. Don't see much on here about the transfers going to losing programs do you? Just like most of the girls playing basketball now would love to play for UT, Vandy, LSU, UCONN, and others, no one really dreams of playing at the lower level colleges, but if that is all that is offered, you take it. Winnng attracts Winners!!

It is called hard work and dedication. You work hard and stay dedicated to the program, things will happen for you.  About someone transferring in that you don't know about, that is the chance you can take even at your current school unless you have a really bad program there. Transfer happen all over the state in sports and academics but no one gets more attention than Shelbyville.  Watch these teams play and watch their aau programs. If your worried about a starting position then maybe you need to stay put. I don't believe anyone "gets" a position at Shelbyville, you earn it. Your either good or not. And it may seem odd but Winners do attract Winners. Don't see much on here about the transfers going to losing programs do you? Just like most of the girls playing basketball now would love to play for UT, Vandy, LSU, UCONN, and others,  no one really dreams of playing at the lower level colleges, but if that is all that is offered, you take it.  Winnng attracts Winners!!

825605331[/snapback]

Who initiates the contact?

Who initiates the contact?

825605332[/snapback]

we as parents did

she played aau with sss several years but we are lucky, we already live in bedford county and our school systems isn't zoned, just transferred to Shelbyville schools instead of county school. more driving for me but well worth it.

Edited by Sidetrain

Would you disagree with the statement that Shelbyville would have never won a state championship under the current coaching staff with players just from Bedford County, like your daughter?

Would the players on this year's Shelbyville team, other than perhaps Jarrell and Snipes, have even gotten a chance to play in earlier years when transfers played instead? They showed great improvement over the season. How many players like them never got that opportunity because of the "winners attract winners" mindset?

How many teams across the state who played players from their own neighboorhoods and middle school programs did not win state championships because of the open-door, "winners attract winners", philosophy at Shelbyville?

You are to be commended for knowing how to use talent and win with it. What else are you to be commended for?

Would you disagree with the statement that Shelbyville would have never won a state championship under the current coaching staff with players just from Bedford County, like your daughter?

Would the players on this year's Shelbyville team, other than perhaps Jarrell and Snipes, have even gotten a chance to play in earlier years when transfers played instead? They showed great improvement over the season. How many players like them never got that opportunity because of the "winners attract winners" mindset?

How many teams across the state who played players from their own neighboorhoods and middle school programs did not win state championships because of the open-door, "winners attract winners", philosophy at Shelbyville?

You are to be commended for knowing how to use talent and win with it. What else are you to be commended for?

825605378[/snapback]

I really don't know. But would of, could of, and should of, don't matter at this point..

All of last years team, except of Almander and Cannon, are from Bedford Co. What I mean is they have lived here most of their lives, Newman came here around in her jr high years or maybe a year or two earlier, her mom played for Shelbyville I believe. I know that Fuller was raised here because I remember her playing softball with my oldest daughter who is the same age. And that was at least 10 years ago. I believe those two were the strongest part of last years championship team. I know they had a lot of help with Cannon, Almander, and Houston. Houston is also rasied in Bedford Co. because my oldest daughter also played basketball with her in the 3rd grade at a local co. school.

Most big schools in this area have one county school that everyone attends but there are 3 local high schools in Bedford Co. with a private school 7-12 in Bell Buckle. If all 3 high schools combined, it would almost guarntee more wins. I gotta go for now. AAU practice. Tell you more later.

Sounds like the 'contact' is made through the AAU program. Who oversees the summer programs? Noone. It's like the fox guarding the henhouse. Alot of the high school baseball coaches have begun running a summer program. I like the idea. It keeps the team together and it keeps the travel teams from recruiting your players for another school. You can call it what you like. It's recruiting.... albeit in accordance with the TSSAA handbook.

Ksvols you are correct it begins with AAU. High school coaches should not be involved with it. I'm not against AAU but that is where a lot of contact is made. Not a fair playing table. There are plenty of talented men and women that can coach AAU with out HS coaches being involved. AAU can benefit kids but it is also a recruiting tool.

Ksvols you are correct it begins with AAU. High school coaches should not be involved with it. I'm not against AAU but that is where a lot of contact is made. Not a fair playing table. There are plenty of talented men and women that can coach AAU with out HS coaches being involved. AAU can benefit kids but it is also a recruiting tool.

825615582[/snapback]

I share ksgovols' view on AAU programs. I have seen too any AAU programs detract from school programs and have seen lots of questionable behavior and practices from coaches, parents and players. There are excellent AAU programs out there. Unfortunately, the crimes of some programs have soured my view of AAU programs in general.

IMHO