More families plan moves for athletics

Bighurt

I know the summer program for high school baseball is pretty strong in some areas. Like minded high school coaches are able to get next years team some quality innings. Some coaches make it mandatory to play in the summer program but still allows players to play travel ball additionally, so long as his program has first priority. I think something is needed along those lines for basketball as well. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I just feel that there is a problem out there. And I'm not just talking about high school age kids. There are AAU programs that start in the 8U and 10U range that can absolutely ruin a kid. Let 'em play and have fun with their friends instead of living your athletic life through your kid.

Edited by ksgovols

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with most of what has been said regarding this topic, I disagree with the reference made about restricting kids from playing on traveling teams. 1st, this is a parents/athlete decision, not TSSAA or a H.S. coaches. 2nd, how would you expect an H.S. baseball player to be noticed by a college scout if it weren't for the traveling teams, AAU, USSSA summer tournaments, that showcase their talents. Very few baseball players get noticed during the H.S. season because the college season is in full swing at the same time. Most college recruiters will tell you that the competition during the summer traveling season is better than during the H.S. season. With the exception of a few, coaches on the traveling teams are better instructors than most H.S. baseball coaches, and tend to have better "contacts", as a whole, at the college level.

I can assure you, that if my son were still playing and his H.S. coach said that he HAD to play on his summer team, and/or had to make the H.S. team his 1st priority, that coach and I would have a major problem. Most summer H.S. teams only play in a few area tournaments, which aren't very competitive nor do they receive much following with recruiters. The traveling teams, such as Thunder, The Yard, etc, mostly go where the recruiters are. Honestly, if you were a parent of an athlete that aspired to play at the next level, what would be your choice?

The programs I'm referencing play a 48 game summer schedule not counting any tournaments. This years seniors are not on the team. Juniors and sophomores only. The high school coach recognizes those that are college material and they can play for multiple teams...........he just wants them to play for the school team first. They also go to some 16U tournaments and cut some of the juniors loose to play for other teams. There's usually scouts in the stands at alot of the games.

I'm not going to make a blanket statement about AAU coaches or travel team coaches concerning their qualifications. I just think there is a lack of oversight with these programs and there should be an age restricition on when you can start 'traveling'. There's good and bad coaches in either program I'm sure.

While I agree with most of what has been said regarding this topic, I disagree with the reference made about restricting kids from playing on traveling teams. 1st, this is a parents/athlete decision, not TSSAA or a H.S. coaches. 2nd, how would you expect an H.S. baseball player to be noticed by a college scout if it weren't for the traveling teams, AAU, USSSA summer tournaments, that showcase their talents. Very few baseball players get noticed during the H.S. season because the college season is in full swing at the same time. Most college recruiters will tell you that the competition during the summer traveling season is better than during the H.S. season. With the exception of a few, coaches on the traveling teams are better instructors than most H.S. baseball coaches, and tend to have better "contacts", as a whole, at the college level.

I can assure you, that if my son were still playing and his H.S. coach said that he HAD to play on his summer team, and/or had to make the H.S. team his 1st priority, that coach and I would have a major problem. Most summer H.S. teams only play in a few area tournaments, which aren't very competitive nor do they receive much following with recruiters. The traveling teams, such as Thunder, The Yard, etc, mostly go where the recruiters are. Honestly, if you were a parent of an athlete that aspired to play at the next level, what would be your choice?

825617790[/snapback]

Good post, I agree totally. And as for ksgovols, you are right, it could and in some cases does have a influence on where a kid might spend his next seasons, but it is entirely up to the kid and his family. If they decide together, that is the best decision, they should be able to make it. You can't blame it entirely on aau or traveling teams, the family still has to make the decision.

My father told me that families throughout the southeast moved to Chattanooga during the 50's and 60's so their sons could play for the legendary Red Etter at Chattanooga Central. When Coach Etter moved to Baylor all three of the Hannah brothers came from Albertville so they could play for him.

Nothing new with moving so your kids can play for the best.

Ksvols you are correct it begins with AAU. High school coaches should not be involved with it. I'm not against AAU but that is where a lot of contact is made. Not a fair playing table. There are plenty of talented men and women that can coach AAU with out HS coaches being involved. AAU can benefit kids but it is also a recruiting tool.

825615582[/snapback]

In baseball you are allowed to coach 10 games with your high school team. However, if you wear a non-official hs shirt you can coach as many games as you want. Give credit to coaches who want to be the best and go the extra mile to develope off season programs. At some schools the coaches think their duties end when the season ends and they no longer recieve a check. God bless coaches that truly want to run off season programs. If Rick Insell wants to coach kids in the summer then more power to him.

Every single coach in this state has the exact same opportunity. I just don`t care to hear the whining when Shelbyville kicks butt. He`s outworking other coaches.

Let`s face reality here.....Milan had one of the very best coaches in the state for many years in John Tucker. Yet Milan has always been able to get kids from anywhere in Gibson County. Tucker was good enough to establish a tradition and hence attracted the best players in Gibson County. That`s definitely a huge advantage over other schools the same size.

Now Gibson County is going to tighten up on school zones. The result is that families are selling houses and moving so they will be in Milan`s zone. In other words Milan has established itself. Folks want to go there. To all you proud Bulldog fans I salute you. You have done what can be done at any public school in this state. You have created something that makes folks want to sell their house in Medina so their kids will be able to attend MHS. Please note to other public school supporters besides myself, that families are leaving their neighbors and friends so they canattend Milan. The easy way would be to stay put and go to Gibson County. But folks..parent`s care where their kids go to school. So to cry about a private school attracting kids is stupid. I know it`s frustrating to be at a school that doesn`t seem to excel, but you can`t excel at anything unless some effort is put forth.

Murfreesboro.........

How many good private schools are in M` boro? ZERO! How many in Jackson? THREE!

If the kids that go to the Jackson Private schools went to their assigned public schools, then JCM would be kicking butt every year in football and baseball. JCM is a great school.