Elizabethton vs Oliver Springs

coaches_corner

You can scout all you want, but you still have to stop one of the most talented fives around. Easier said than done. None of the Cyclones are dirty players, just good ones, and I'm sure Hopson will take offense at your assessment. This team has not forgotten being beaten by Hall and company last year. Should be a good one. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!

825602247[/snapback]

I thought the Cyclones played together as a team...very well. The starting five are all very good players. But when you walk away from the game, not knowing these girls personally, you tend to remember Rikki & the tall post the most. Hopson did great as a 5th player, but she just doesn't stand out to someone who doesn't know much about her. Rikki & Petrowski stand out...Rikki because she is really the best player on the team and Petrowski because of her size and she happened to play very well against us. I don't think there was anything negative meant toward Hopson though. As far as Redd goes, well...she is good, but not as good as Rikki. She is very physical and is probably the roughest player on the team. I'm not going to say she plays dirty, but when you dish out all you can "just because the refs aren't calling the fouls" that tends to be more like street ball...which can be a dirty game.

I think the Cyclones will beat OS tomorrow night. I really don't expect OS to be able to play enough defense to stop Rikki or Petrowski. You will have to guard their perimeter though. They have one new addition to their team that you're not familiar with...Katie Davis, from Oak Ridge/Karns. She is an excellent 3 point shooter. And I know you have an awesome defense and yes, you did beat PF last night, but we did have 7 - three pointers on you...which is about all we had. That is the only way I see OS staying close to you. Good Luck!

Edited by LadyTigersMom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopson (25) was not very impressive. Just mainly a role player. Help off of her. Make her beat you.

825602191[/snapback]

If you think Hopson is not impressive you don't know much about basketball. She is the perfect fit for what Elizabethton has this season and can do anything asked of her on the basketball court.

This is a young lady who once had 24 points and 22 rebounds in a junior high game as a seventh grader playing against a quality eighth-grade team. To quote her high school coach, "She's just a winner." In her 66-game varsity basketball career, her team has won 53 times, a winning percentage of .803. The sophomore already has 89 wins in four years of school ball. Enough said.

Edited by WriteStuff

I see nothing wrong with that quote. They simply stated that Redd threw some elbows during dead balls (which I saw), but never said anything was done maliciously. That's just being a tough, physical player. And Redd is exactly that. i don't think Diamond meant it in a bad way....  Am I right?

825602487[/snapback]

You are exactly right. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I did not say Hopson was not a good player. I said she was a role player and that's what good teams have to have to be successful. She didn't have her best game in the game I saw her in. She is on a vetran team as a sophomore and has people around her who can score and will get their points every game. At this point in her career, this is not her role on the team. She can score but can not create her own shot like players like Rikki. That's the only point I was trying to make.

By the way...junior high has nothing to do with high school basketball. One may be the leading scorer in junior high but in high school lead the team in assists. The same goes for college, there have been many great young women who have went on to the college level who scored at will in high school and now in college just play the role their coach recruited them for, and they win ball games. Example: Angela Phillips- Oak Ridge (Point guard at the University of Kentucky) Led the Lady Wildcats this year at point guard, being one of the two players to start every game. She dished out 102 assists compared to the 55 of the next closest player. She averaged 4.5 points a game, well below her high school average.

Not to get too far ahead write stuff.....but as you know this bunch of sophomores and freshmen, led by Pietrowski and Hopson, are winners. They went undefeated as seventh graders; they made it to the state finals as 8th graders losing only to Greeneville in the sectional final (who had three of those sophs start this year); won the conference as JVers this year and last; won back to back districts and regionals this year and last; and as Baughman and Redd leave the program, others are ready to continue the cyclone pride tradition; whatever it takes......

You are exactly right. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I did not say Hopson was not a good player. I said she was a role player and that's what good teams have to have to be successful. She didn't have her best game in the game I saw her in. She is on a vetran team as a sophomore and has people around her who can score and will get their points every game. At this point in her career, this is not her role on the team. She can score but can not create her own shot like players like Rikki. That's the only point I was trying to make.

By the way...junior high has nothing to do with high school basketball. One may be the leading scorer in junior high but in high school lead the team in assists. The same goes for college, there have been many great young women who have went on to the college level who scored at will in high school and now in college just play the role their coach recruited them for, and they win ball games.  Example: Angela Phillips- Oak Ridge (Point guard at the University of Kentucky) Led the Lady Wildcats this year at point guard, being one of the two players to start every game. She dished out 102 assists compared to the 55 of the next closest player. She averaged 4.5 points a game, well below her high school average.

825602856[/snapback]

GO KY. WILDCATS!!

Edited by GLee