Miitchell at Haywood

BIGWEBB

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many great games going on across the state Monday I just wish I could see them all!! BIGWEBB this should be an outstanding game and I agree that if Haywood wins it wouldn't be an upset. These two teams will have to go to war to win this game!! Good Luck to both teams!!

Both teams are good teams and it will be a shame for one not to make it to the state.

Haywood is solid in so many areas, but they have no idea how strong Mitchell is. None of their recent games have prepared them for what they are about to face. It's going to take a GREAT effort for Haywood to pull this off...even though they have the home court advantage.

Both teams are good teams and it will be a shame for one not to make it to the state. 

Haywood is solid in so many areas, but they have no idea how strong Mitchell is.  None of their recent games have prepared them for what they are about to face.  It's going to take a GREAT effort for Haywood to pull this off...even though they have the home court advantage.

825603186[/snapback]

Jumpshot,

I'd like to expand upon what you've just stated.

For starters--it is definetly a sad, sad state of affairs when 2 teams the caliber of Haywod and Mitchell (also JNS & Fairley, for that matter) have to meet up so early in the Tournament. You lose--you're done. Meanwhile, lesser quality teams (undoubtedly) are playing ONE ANOTHER, in other brackets! Those weak teams then show up in the Semi's or Finals and get absolutely SLAUGHTERED, more often than not....But, I'll leave that alone for now--that's a whole other topic.

To shed a bit more light on Mitchell (for the benefit of ALL Haywood fans), I'd like to re-post the comments I made on a different thread....There, one Haywood fan wondered whether he'd want his team to face Mitchell or Raleigh Egypt...

Here is my response to that Haywood fan:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were a Haywood fan, here's what I'd like to see them do: Lose to Ripley, then go play @ Raleigh Egypt. AVOID Mitchell, at all cost!

Yeah--I know it may seem crazy but, TRUST ME, that scenario has some serious merit.

I don't know ANYTHING about Haywood, except that they appear to have an outstanding team. I do know a LOT about Mitchell and Raleigh Egypt....Between these 2 Memphis schools, Mitchell is BY FAR and away MORE DANGEROUS than Raleigh Egypt. Hands down!

Raleigh Egypt is a balanced & outstanding team, but Mitchell is MORE athletic, versatile AND balanced.

Mitchell can FLAT OUT shoot the basketball--inside or outside! They play full-court, pressure defense (the ENTIRE GAME), like their lives depend on it. They force more turnovers, by far, than the average team. They can excel @ 100 miles an hour or 20 MPH. It doesn't matter.

Mitchell has 3 or 4 guys with the wingspan of B-52's, making it difficult to shoot over them, or pass around them....They won't hesitate to shoot the ball from anywhere, at any time. Then, if they miss the shot, they crash the boards like nobody's business, getting numerous 2nd shots. On top of that, they've got the speed to get back on defense, despite crashing the boards.

Mitchell plays well on the road. It has all the "weapons" to EMBARASS a team, on its own court. On the flip side, no lead is ever safe against them. A team can go from up 7 to down 9, in a heartbeat!

I know it's probably hard to imagine wanting your team to lose a Regional final, then have to go on the ROAD to play Raleigh Egypt, with the entire season on the line (loser goes home). But, thats EXACTLY what I'd do. The facts suggest that Haywood would have better ODDS of winning (that's NOT to say that Haywood can't/won't beat Mitchell)....Strange, but true.

Realistically, Haywood will likely beat Ripley, then host Mitchell....You'll then get first-hand CONFIRMATION.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by TraderB

Haywood is solid in so many areas, but they have no idea how strong Mitchell is.  None of their recent games have prepared them for what they are about to face.  It's going to take a GREAT effort for Haywood to pull this off...even though they have the home court advantage.

825603186[/snapback]

thier recent games may have been against average teams but they played a rough schedule during the reg. season. 2 tight games with Bolivar and 2 wins over Northside shows that they can play with the best. Mitchell is more talented and should win........but im pickin Haywood for the upset....its not often you hear of a home team as good as Haywood being the underdog but they are.

Dont be so sure that Mitchell will win. Haywood will have a game plan in place and it will be a tight game I believe. I see the talk of how Bolivar and Giles are selling out the gym. The same thing is taking place here in Tomcat Town. People were lined up at 8 this morning to buy tickets. This will be one of the best games played Monday night. The Tomcats have won about 16 in a row. Their last loss was to Bolivar on Jan. 8. Thats almost 2 months. Mitchell only plays about 6 people and will have to bring it because it will be hostile in "Doc" Crowder gym come Monday at 7:00. LETS GO HAYWOOD!!!!

Trader B

Believe me, you DON"T want to play Raleigh Egypt on their home floor!! Just ask (by your description...the unstoppable Mitchell). That's the very reason they have now become Haywood's problem.

Do you honestly think that Haywood would actually lose a regional championship to not have to play Mitchell in Bownsville in front of 2500 Tomcat fans to travel to Raleigh Egypt for a game in front of a packled gym of Pharaohs. Come on now...get real!

Trader B

Believe me, you DON"T want to play Raleigh Egypt on their home floor!!  Just ask (by your description...the unstoppable Mitchell).  That's the very reason they have now become Haywood's problem. 

Do you honestly think that Haywood would actually lose a regional championship to not have to play Mitchell in Bownsville in front of 2500 Tomcat fans to travel to Raleigh Egypt for a game in front of a packled gym of Pharaohs.  Come on now...get real!

825604076[/snapback]

Jumpshot,

No--I do NOT think that Haywood (or any other team) would ACTUALLY lose a game, just to avoid Mitchell. Of course not! I merely wanted to illustrate the quagmire in which Haywood finds itself, and to give its fans a clearer idea of the HUGE difference between Raleigh Egypt and Mitchell.

Jumpshot, no team is unstoppable. My description of Mitchell was designed to paint this vivid picture, for all Haywood supporters:

Beware--Mitchell is THE MOST DANGEROUS TEAM IN MEMPHIS! No exaggeration.

Edited by TraderB

TraderB

Please explain the HUGE difference in Mitchell and Raleigh Egypt! The Pharaohs have been ranked #1 in the state all year long and have a better record than Mitchell. We just got through beating Mitchell for the Region 8AA championship (this is the third year in a row that Raleigh Egypt has won 8AA).

The city championship game three weeks ago was more of a fluke than the game Thursday night. You obviously are a Mitchell fan so take a look at Mitchell's road to the state finals, First, Haywood at Haywood; then probably MLK and Bolivar in the state. Better be worried about how strong Mitchell is instead of how weak Raleigh Egypt is.

TraderB

Please explain the HUGE difference in Mitchell and Raleigh Egypt!  The Pharaohs have been ranked #1 in the state all year long and have a better record than Mitchell.  We just got through beating Mitchell for the Region 8AA championship (this is the third year in a row that Raleigh Egypt has won 8AA). 

The city championship game three weeks ago was more of a fluke than the game Thursday night.  You obviously are a Mitchell fan so take a look at Mitchell's road to the state finals,  First, Haywood at Haywood; then probably MLK and Bolivar in the state.  Better be worried about how strong Mitchell is instead of how weak Raleigh Egypt is.

825605345[/snapback]

Jumpshot,

For future reference, when reading any of my posts, please do make the mistake of reading BETWEEN the lines. If I did not SAY something DIRECTLY, then please do not ASSUME, then proceede to draw conclusions to support those assumptions.

I never said that Mitchell is UNSTOPPABLE. I never said that Raleigh Egypt is WEAK. I DID say that Mitchell is the most dangerous team in Memphis.

Yes--I DID say that there's a HUGE difference between Mitchell and R.E (I'll list those differences, in a minute).

Jumpshot, my comments were neither an indictment of Raleigh Egypt's legitimacy, nor an endorsement of Mitchell's supremacy. My comments were...well, please take them as you found them, VERBATIM.

For the record, I am NOT a Mitchell Fan. I have no alegiance to ANY particular team. I'm just an UNBIASED Memphian who has seen his share of local H.S teams, especially the upper echelon. As such, I call them like I see them--good, bad or indifferent, regardless of the team involved (I've posted positive AND negative comments about ALL the elite Memphis teams, this year)!

In my extensive observation, Jumpshot, Mitchell simply does a number of things better than Raleigh Egypt (you may NOT agree. I respect that). Their win-loss records are completely IRRELEVANT and IMMATERIAL, herein: perimeter shooting, forcing turnovers, producing easy buckets, offensive rebounding, pressuring the ball & forcing tempo. In addition, Mitchell posesses better team speed/quickness, and more athleticism.

Despite these differences, Mitchell's road to the AA championship is definitely littered with more "land mines" than Raleigh Egypt's. No disagreement there.

Jumpshot, I want to make it clear that I think Raleigh Egypt is an OUTSTANDING team--top 4 in Memphis. I've stated that ALL YEAR long.... Mitchell remains, in my view, the MOST DANGEROUS team in the city of Memphis, bar none.

Bottom line: I'm gonna be in Murfreesboro cheering for ANY/all Memphis teams that are fortunate enough to get there!