Dyersburg versus Greeneville in state

dodgerdude

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have a dog in this fight but as I sit and read these posts, it reminds me so much of last year as we were preparing to go to state.  Everybody has their favorite player and everybody has their opinion of that player.  The thing that disturbs me is everybody judging these players by what college they are going to.  Like Barb said, these girls make their decisions based on several things.  Last year it was my daughter they were judging.  Everybody from East TN. that had seen her play was on here talking about how good she was and everybody from West Tn that had not seen her play wanted to know why if she was so good was she going to CN.  She tied the state record for points in a game last year at the state tournament.  She also broke two state records in that game.  I think she proved herself.  Her choice to go to CN was based on several things.  One was being close to home, one was to maybe make a difference in a program, among other things.  She could have went to several D1 schools.  Now that their season is winding down, it looks like she made a very good choice.  She has recd. Freshman of the Year, Co-Player of the Year, (first time this has ever happened) and tournament MVP in her conference.  But most importantly, her team went from being a below .500 team to winning their SAC tournament and are on their way to the NCAA div. 2 tournament.  When they were picked to finish 5th.  And she is getting a great education.

As for Lyons, she is a great player as I am sure Dyersburg has great players.  I am sure both teams will come prepared to play.  It is the state tournament.  All teams that have made it this far have so much to be proud of.  They are all winners whether they win a game at the state or not.  Can we not just let the games be played without bashing the girls?  As I said, I do not have a dog in this fight, just trying to put an unbiased opinion on this post.  Hope I didn't step on any toes.

825611484[/snapback]

I remember seeing your daughter play last year at the state tournament and a few other games. She is a great player and as it seems an even better person and good luck in the tournament and congrats to her on her awards.

I didn't say she was overrated.  I said she SOUNDS overrated because i don't see how someone 5'5 can be as dominant as everyone says she is.

825612619[/snapback]

Lyons is just an incredible athlete who was all-state in volleyball, has back-to-back trips to state in pentathlon, 2 hurdle events and high jump. She has verticle leap equal to her height. Obviously you don't see as many small quick girls out West as there are out on the right end of the state. There are a couple playing for Greeneville and a real entertaining young lady for Elizabethton named Val Redd. Probably one of the best players in Tennessee right now is Cait McMahan from Heritage and she is only 5'6".

Megan's older brother Brigham who coaches football and Freshman boys basketball at Greeneville was a running back at Middle Tennessee State University. He also was a joy to watch and the athletic ability runs in the family no doubt about that. I hope Megan plays her usual game Thursday night so the Dyersburg folks will understand why we are so high on Megan. However I think our big girl (Miss Manuel) is a little jealous of the accomplishments the Megan has made and how everyone talks about loving to watch her play.

I can see how the dyersburg people think Meagan is overrated, we are talking her up pretty good. But she really does deserve all of this. When Greeneville is in a crucial part of the game, Meagan just takes over and will run off about 10 points in a row. I too hope she plays good tonight to show everyone what a good player she really is. Good luck to both teams and i hope that everyone has a safe trip to the boro.

as a dyersburg fan, let me say i am not one who thinks she is over rated...i have seen her play and your big post player...they are both good ball players...

i think the point that some of the dyersburg fans are trying to make is that most of them know nothing about greenville, and greenville fans know nothing about dyersburg..

i have seen them both and i think that it will be a good game....

the team that plays well and does not suffer from choke factor wins this game....neither team can play poorly and win this one...

hmm, that could also be said when you make the elite 8, well you gotta play good to go to the big dance...