Dyersburg versus Greeneville in state

dodgerdude

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyons is one of those players who can contribute in so many ways.

She'll get her double-figures in points, but she's all over the court on the defensive end.

I've saw the Greeneville ladies play a handful of games this year, and everytime, its the same thing........the other team is doing their thing on the offensive end, when out of nowhere comes Lyons forcing a turnover.

Surprising for her size, but she is a very efficient rebounded as well.

She just has a knack for getting her hands on the basketball

i just wonder how lyons compares to Bullard (miss basketball finalist and a D1 bound) and sha brooks and amber penn (also d1 bound)... all of which dyersburg did a very good job of playing defense on....

if lyons is better than those three, then i look for her to break the single game state scoring record for a AAA team ......

by the way, can any of you on this board tell me who owns that record and how many points and what school she played at?

here is a hint....she played for georgia in college

825610766[/snapback]

FYI... Tennessee Tech is also D1. Nakeisha Manuel has signed to play at Georgia State which is also D1. Big deal. Most of these girls see basketball as a means to an education, not a career in basketball. It is outstanding that Bullard has signed with Florida. I am sure she will receive a quality education in her chosen field just the same as these other girls. It's not like any of them can look forward to a lucrative professional career in basketball or much of a career in bball at all outside of coaching. These are young women and are generally not influenced by the glitz and glamour of playing for the premier programs like so many of the young men are. Most of these girls select schools for academic or geographic reasons, not for the recognition.

I would never suggest that Megan is better than these girls but she is an extraordinary athlete and a truly captivating young lady. She has broken the Greeneville single game scoring record 2 times scoring 44 and 46 points respectively and could have easily scored more had Burkey left her in the game longer. She holds the schools career assist record as well as career points. She is special to the all of us out here in East Tennessee and I am sure she will leave a favorable impression with the good folks from Dyersburg as well.

Oh yeah that was 42 points by Warrenn in 86 and that is since the girls have been playing 5 on 5. (checked the TSSAA site to verify) She was a tremendous athlete.I I watched her play at Georgia.

Edited by barb

I do not have a dog in this fight but as I sit and read these posts, it reminds me so much of last year as we were preparing to go to state. Everybody has their favorite player and everybody has their opinion of that player. The thing that disturbs me is everybody judging these players by what college they are going to. Like Barb said, these girls make their decisions based on several things. Last year it was my daughter they were judging. Everybody from East TN. that had seen her play was on here talking about how good she was and everybody from West Tn that had not seen her play wanted to know why if she was so good was she going to CN. She tied the state record for points in a game last year at the state tournament. She also broke two state records in that game. I think she proved herself. Her choice to go to CN was based on several things. One was being close to home, one was to maybe make a difference in a program, among other things. She could have went to several D1 schools. Now that their season is winding down, it looks like she made a very good choice. She has recd. Freshman of the Year, Co-Player of the Year, (first time this has ever happened) and tournament MVP in her conference. But most importantly, her team went from being a below .500 team to winning their SAC tournament and are on their way to the NCAA div. 2 tournament. When they were picked to finish 5th. And she is getting a great education.

As for Lyons, she is a great player as I am sure Dyersburg has great players. I am sure both teams will come prepared to play. It is the state tournament. All teams that have made it this far have so much to be proud of. They are all winners whether they win a game at the state or not. Can we not just let the games be played without bashing the girls? As I said, I do not have a dog in this fight, just trying to put an unbiased opinion on this post. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

I do not have a dog in this fight but as I sit and read these posts, it reminds me so much of last year as we were preparing to go to state.  Everybody has their favorite player and everybody has their opinion of that player.  The thing that disturbs me is everybody judging these players by what college they are going to.  Like Barb said, these girls make their decisions based on several things.  Last year it was my daughter they were judging.  Everybody from East TN. that had seen her play was on here talking about how good she was and everybody from West Tn that had not seen her play wanted to know why if she was so good was she going to CN.  She tied the state record for points in a game last year at the state tournament.  She also broke two state records in that game.  I think she proved herself.  Her choice to go to CN was based on several things.  One was being close to home, one was to maybe make a difference in a program, among other things.  She could have went to several D1 schools.  Now that their season is winding down, it looks like she made a very good choice.  She has recd. Freshman of the Year, Co-Player of the Year, (first time this has ever happened) and tournament MVP in her conference.  But most importantly, her team went from being a below .500 team to winning their SAC tournament and are on their way to the NCAA div. 2 tournament.  When they were picked to finish 5th.  And she is getting a great education.

As for Lyons, she is a great player as I am sure Dyersburg has great players.  I am sure both teams will come prepared to play.  It is the state tournament.  All teams that have made it this far have so much to be proud of.  They are all winners whether they win a game at the state or not.  Can we not just let the games be played without bashing the girls?  As I said, I do not have a dog in this fight, just trying to put an unbiased opinion on this post.  Hope I didn't step on any toes.

825611484[/snapback]

I know you are so very proud of Brooke as are all of us from East Tennessee. I enjoyed watching her play against Tusculum this season. I am glad she decided to stick around this area and keep us entertained. CN is a wonderful school with a rich athletic tradition. They take an awful lot of local talent as does other SAC schools in the area. DII is extremely competitive this year. I am sure CN will represent the SAC well at the DII tourney.

To me it sounds like she's overrated.  If she is so good and going to all these camps and all these things how is she only going to tennessee tech?  They make her sound like she's going to start on Tenn. or LSU next year.

825610591[/snapback]

Meagan Lyons is someone who you can't do justice on a "message board". She's one of those players who is not one dimensional in any shape or form. She's quick, can jump, rebound, dribble, penetrate, dish, steal...etc. Call her "overrated" if you want, but wouldn't that be pretty stupid, considering you've never seen her play. I find it odd that so many people would have the same opinion about her. And another great thing about Meagan, you couldn't find someone who is less-selfish that her. She is the real deal. We'll just have to see how overrated she is tomorrow night.

I remember Brooke when she played at Hal Henard against South Greene High School as a freshman, then this year I watched her play at Tusculum and went to the Carson-Newman game in Jefferson City against Tusculum. She was very impressive each time I have seen her. She is fun to watch. Now on to Megan Lyons, this girl is impressive and is a wonderful talent, not that Dyersburg does not have any one who is better or who is as good but us folks in East Tennessee do not get to see your team play until tomorrow night, then we can say how impressive your girls are too. Megan is very special to only be 5'5" I will say that. But I think the most impressive thing about her is her court demeanor, she rarely gets upset at anyone or any call. She may be about to explode inside but she never seems to show it. And yes call it home town pride but I am glad that she wears a Greeneville uniform and plays her heart out for her school.

For you Dyersburg fans, if she plays anywhere near her norm, you will get a treat tomorrow from Megan Lyons. Not to put pressure on her, but she runs the high school floor like the PG at LSU runs the College floor.

Every person has their own reason for picking a college to attend. Brooke Johnson, dodgerdude, I think was 2A Miss basketball from Seymour. Talented post player. Megan Lyons should be a Miss Basketball finalist. She doesn't get the state wide pub that Cait gets, but she and Cait put on a show at Christmas time.

Good Luck to Megan and GreenEVILle (I had to do it just once more Barb!) this week. Bring it on back!

You Dyersburg fans take note, this is Greeneville's arch rival wishing them luck and giving them respect. B)