Oakland v. Wilson Central

Cant go to sleep and am bored so i figured i might as well go ahead and start this topic. Well, its finally here, the state tournament, and 2 great teams meet in the first round in oakland and wilson central. I know Campbell Brandon has some ties to Murfreesboro(believe he was born there?) anyways, not gonna really matter that much.

I saw where WC has no one taller than 5'10 while both of Oakland's starting post players are 6' and 6'5, can WC overcome the heighth discrepancy? If the Lady Patriots are to win, they have got to quit making so many mental errors like they have in the past 2 games, 19 turnovers is not going to win a game in the state tournament. Heres hoping to a great first round matchup, and hopefully an Oakland victory. GO PATS!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant go to sleep and am bored so i figured i might as well go ahead and start this topic. Well, its finally here, the state tournament, and 2 great teams meet in the first round in oakland and wilson central. I know Campbell Brandon has some ties to Murfreesboro(believe he was born there?) anyways, not gonna really matter that much.

I saw where WC has no one taller than 5'10 while both of Oakland's starting post players are 6' and 6'5, can WC overcome the heighth discrepancy? If the Lady Patriots are to win, they have got to quit making so many mental errors like they have in the past 2 games, 19 turnovers is not going to win a game in the state tournament. Heres hoping to a great first round matchup, and hopefully an Oakland victory. GO PATS!

825605030[/snapback]

I don't know where that 5'10 comment came from or who told you that but that is very untrue. WCHS has 2 girls about 5'11 to 6'0 who are sophomores in the post who are one of the better post duos in the state.

This will be a tough game, but I take WCHS by 5.

If Wilson Central can stop Oaklands big post....the game is theirs. Saw her play against Hunters Lane, and she had her way in the paint.

825605564[/snapback]

luckily for us, i think that Oakland is somewhat similar to Mt. Juliet. i think that we will use the same gameplay we used against MJ, and double up when the ball goes in the post; the fact that we nearly perfected it againt Mt. Juliet is why i THINK that we will pull this one out. this is going to be a VERY tough game, and Oakland is a very good team.

Correct me if I am wrong on this one, but isn't the HC at WC Bud Brandon? I think his father is Campbell tho.

Bud is the Head Coach at Central and Campbell, his father, is his assistant.

Yes Bud's dad does have a ring. But I think it was also when they played the half court stuff..........but could be wrong. Nevertheless, he has proven himself as a competent coach.

825605557[/snapback]

Campbell is a little bit more than competent. When he retired from Lebanon, he was 2nd all-time in Tennessee high school girls basketball wins behind on Jim Smiddy of Bradley Central. He may still be second. Although his state championship came in the 1/2 court 6 on 6 days, he was still highly successful at the current full court game.

I know WC has taken a new school and quickly taken over the reigns and built a solid girls program. Good coaches can take mediocre talent and make them a force. I think that may be the case at WC.

This is certainly not the case. Wilson Central has talent that will match up with anyone. Kellie Gassie is as good as any girl in the game. She could play for some boys teams. Fellow senior Kellie O'Connell is their floor leader and great 3-point shooter. Their 2 posts, Sare Williams and Tierny Jenkins are both young and solid. They shut down Clark and McFarlin of Mt. Juliet which means they are capable of shutting anybody down.

They do have great coaching, but lack of talent is not a problem. I see maybe the best 1st round game of the state tournament right here.