Contenders // Pretenders

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the kids that left SSS never got to play>!!!!!!!!! Oh well!!!!

825614946[/snapback]

Actually, they played, just one played less and less each tournament. Don't know why, just the way things happened. The other one shared time with the big girl from jackson co. Wish those two success with thier new teams, hopefully will get to see them at some point before state tournament.

The list should be final today as this is the deadline for teams to get their paper work into Peanut.

A partial list is:

Shelbyville

TN Elite

West TN Tigers

Team Pride

Team from White Co.

Tigers from Nashville

The Glory from Memphis

825614626[/snapback]

Add the Lady Trotters and Tennessee Raiders to the list of 13's.

The Bulls players are playing for Tony White former Vol player. Don't know what name they go by but should be tough team.

Does anyone have the name of the players from the SSS 13U team?  I was just curious.  I know that the big girl from Jackson County is playing and wondered who else was on the team.  Thanks in advance..df

825614994[/snapback]

Come on now Devil, if you can't that roster, who can? thumb :rolleyes:

It must be hush hush.

Now I want to see the Bulls play. If Tony is as good as a coach as he was as a player it will be fun. Tony could shoot the lights OUT

SSS13u roster will be out when Showtime7 lets it out. Only they know and if they are not saying I'm not saying :rolleyes:

Edited by Sidetrain

Apparently, you weren't as informed as you thought you were.  Sure, the Lady Belles have lost some players, but they have also gained some players and the players they still have from last year have improved quite a bit.  I wouldn't count them out just yet.  Of course, it is hard to recover from going from 12 players last season to only 6 returning this season.  (2 went to Hooptown, 1 went to play with her Middle School Team, 1 moved to NY, and the other 2 weren't asked back, but I think you are too quick to judge.)  This is a year of rebuilding, but considering they played tonight and easily beat a team 42-9, subbing out their starting line up a majority of the time, I'd say their fate is still to be determined.  I think the loss of Laquinta has only made them stronger as a team.  It seems that they have learned to play as a team, so far this season, instead of putting so much emphasis on 1 player.

Let's see how it plays out...

In addition to your posting, that is pretty harsh suggesting that her Mom was basically "pimping" her out.  She was treated very well at the Belles and in addition, no matter how talented she is, there aren't alot of coaches/teams that are willing to put up with her attitude.  With that being said, it is very difficult for a team to play well when their star player is in a "mood", bringing the team down emotionally, and is not willing to set all of that aside to step up and lead the team.

Good thing that this year, the team seems to be in sync as far as team spirit is concerned.  And sometimes, no matter how talented you are, if you don't have that, then it just doesn't matter, anyway.

It's amazing how sometimes, the underdogs turn out to be the winners, anyway!

825615427[/snapback]

I know two coaches who both went to talk to her mom and that is what each came back and told me. They said that her mom had a list of demands and that she wanted "this" and "that" in return for her child to play for their team. Both of them turned and left because they refused to meet the demands (which I will keep to myself) of a 12 year old and her mom. I in no way implied that she was being "pimped out," as that implies something that I would never say about any child. I was not going to bring up Laquinta's attitude but you are right, it is sometimes hard to coach her. She's knows she is good and that is why she is like that most of the time. She's young though and, hopefully, she will grow out of it. However, she is a great player and she will benefit any team that she is on so good luck to her.

As for the Lady Belles, unless they have kept that good point guard they had and maybe that other wing player, then they are down. They may have found some new girls but I wouldn't know how good they are because I haven't seen them yet this year. I can only go on what people have told me about them and how they have played in previous years. Without Laquinta, this team would have never made it to state as 10U or 11U. She single-handedly carried them through sub-states both of those years as I have witnessed almost all of those games. I am glad to see that they are playing well without her but it is early in the season and alot of really good teams are not playing yet so I doubt they played anyone all that tough in their 42-9 win tonight. Let me know what other tournaments they will be attending and I will try to get out and see them play. After I see them, I will be able to let you know forsure just how well they match-up with some of the other teams in the state.

ptguard,

You bring up an interesting point about AAU, it appears as though parents, players and organizations are willing or wanting to do anything to compete and WIN. It's a common practice that the Murfreesboro player went to the highest bidder or is playing for a team that is willing to meet their demands. But this is not uncommon and is practiced quite a bit. Earlier this year I attended the TN Middle school state tournament in Jackson, TN. While there a few players and families told me that several organizations offer monetary support for the players and their families as a recruiting tool to play on their AAU teams. This appears to be the growing trend, it’s interesting but that’s the way it is. If you want to attract the top players to your teams in order to win, then you'd better be able to support the players and their families throughout the AAU season. If a team can get a good sponsor, the sky is the limit... Looks like Stienbrener (NY Yankees) has made it to AAU, if you can't develop talent, then buy it...

Edited by Spree1024

I know two coaches who both went to talk to her mom and that is what each came back and told me.  They said that her mom had a list of demands and that she wanted "this" and "that" in return for her child to play for their team.  Both of them turned and left because they refused to meet the demands (which I will keep to myself) of a 12 year old and her mom.  I in no way implied that she was being "pimped out," as that implies something that I would never say about any child.  I was not going to bring up Laquinta's attitude but you are right, it is sometimes hard to coach her.  She's knows she is good and that is why she is like that most of the time.  She's young though and, hopefully, she will grow out of it.  However, she is a great player and she will benefit any team that she is on so good luck to her.

As for the Lady Belles, unless they have kept that good point guard they had and maybe that other wing player, then they are down.  They may have found some new girls but I wouldn't know how good they are because I haven't seen them yet this year.  I can only go on what people have told me about them and how they have played in previous years.  Without Laquinta, this team would have never made it to state as 10U or 11U.  She single-handedly carried them through sub-states both of those years as I have witnessed almost all of those games.  I am glad to see that they are playing well without her but it is early in the season and alot of really good teams are not playing yet so I doubt they played anyone all that tough in their 42-9 win tonight.  Let me know what other tournaments they will be attending and I will try to get out and see them play.  After I see them, I will be able to let you know forsure just how well they match-up with some of the other teams in the state.

825615639[/snapback]

ptguard12:

I wasn't using the word "pimping out" in the literal form. I hope you realize that.

No doubt, she is incredibly talented and will definitely go places. Additionally, her talent will be missed, I'm sure, by the Lady Belles.

I was not around to witness any of the 10-U season therefore I am not able to comment on that except to say that she was the only one on that team that had ever played before and due to her incredible talent, she definitely would have been the leading force behind their success that year.

I do know, however, that she definitely was their strongest player last year, without a question, but she didn't do it all by herself. She had a pretty strong team behind her therefore I wouldn't say that she could take full credit for that one.

I understand that it is your belief that a lot of the strong teams may not be out yet this season but I don't think that you can discount the fact that they are, so far, 3-0 in the tournament. If you say it is still early in the season, then that would apply to them, as well, indicating that they still have a lot of time to improve, grow stronger, and learn to play better as a "new" team.

In addtion, I do understand that your comparison is to other top teams in the state but to just throw them out without 1st seeing their performances over the course of the season (since it is basically a new team) is pre-judgmental. I don't doubt that TN has one of the strongest states in the nation, I just hate to discount them so early in the season.

They might be playing in Tullahoma next weekend but haven't heard a confirmation on that. If I hear of any others or get any confirmations on Tullahoma or others, I will be happy to let you know.

Thanks for your insightful posts...You seem like you get around and tend to be pretty informed.

Have a great season!