Church subsidies of tuition

MountainTroll

Can somebody explain why Notre Dame is not Division II?

Section 3.
For tournament competition there shall be two categories. Division I shall be schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level do not receive need–based financial aid. Division II shall be those schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level may be the recipients of need-based financial aid.

ChattanoogaDeaneryCatholicSchoolsEducati

NDfinancialaide.jpg

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain this. :?:

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain this. :?:

If you KNOW that a kid receiving financial aid at Notre Dame is also playing a TSSAA varsity sport, then report the situation to the TSSAA. As you well know, that organization is capable of sanctioning schools that cheat (Signal Mountain, Grace Christian). It does not reflect well on you to come on here ad nauseum solely for the purpose of smearing the reputation of a school and its students if you have such information but refuse to turn it over to the TSSAA. It reflects on you even worse if you have no such information, but continue to bring this up.

If you KNOW that a kid receiving financial aid at Notre Dame is also playing a TSSAA varsity sport, then report the situation to the TSSAA. As you well know, that organization is capable of sanctioning schools that cheat (Signal Mountain, Grace Christian). It does not reflect well on you to come on here ad nauseum solely for the purpose of smearing the reputation of a school and its students if you have such information but refuse to turn it over to the TSSAA. It reflects on you even worse if you have no such information, but continue to bring this up.

The "situation" has been reported to the T$$AA.  They do not reply.  Unless something comes from a BOC member or athletic director,  they seem to ignore complaints.  I do not know if they are investigating.  Every member of OLPH is receiving a "tuition subsidy" from the Chattanooga Deanery Catholic Schoools Education Fund.  I suspect that there are at least some Catholics playing varsity sports at Notre Dame.  I can only assume that the T$$AA does not consider "tuition subsidies" from churches and religious organizations to be "financial aide".

I have no problem with faith-based schools or with the church offering financial aide.  I just believe those schools should be designated Division II by the T$$AA.

I will continue to post on here ad nauseum regarding what I believe to be an inequitible application of the T$$AA By-Laws.

Edited by MountainTroll

As an aside, I am not "smearing the reputation of a school and its students", and that is not my purpose.  There is nothing wrong with giving financial aide.  This school advertises that it gives financial aide and solicits donations from alumni and church members specifically for financial aide.

The T$$AA obviously does not consider church subsidies of tuition to be financial aide.  I am just curious what other members of this forum think.  Judging from the lack of responses on this thread,  most members of this forum must feel the same way.

Some faith based schools give tuition discounts if the student is a member of that particular faith.  For example, Lipscomb might give a 10% discount to Church of Christ students.  It's well within their right to charge tuition as they see fit.  Once the tuition is charged, it cannot be paid by anyone other than the family or the student is ineligible to play in TSSAA sanctioned sports.

I agree 100%.  Tuition discounts are allowable.

This is a different situation.  Tuition is charged the same for each student.  A separate organization, the Chattanooga Deanery Catholic Schools Education Fund, pays a portion of a student's tuition if the family are contributing members to Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish.  It is actually a pretty clever scheme.  If a family makes a $350 tax-deductible contribution to the church, their affiliated organization will use it's tax-exempt revenue and donations to pay a portion of the students' tuition.

Ndparishguidelines.jpg

f3bcd55d-e7cc-45bb-8a52-58e44c1a1124.jpg

I agree 100%.  Tuition discounts are allowable.

This is a different situation.  Tuition is charged the same for each student.  A separate organization, the Chattanooga Deanery Catholic Schools Education Fund, pays a portion of a student's tuition if the family are contributing members to Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish.  It is actually a pretty clever scheme.  If a family makes a $350 tax-deductible contribution to the church, their affiliated organization will use it's tax-exempt revenue and donations to pay a portion of the students' tuition.

Ndparishguidelines.jpg

Entristin........detective.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody explain why Notre Dame is not Division II?

Section 3.
For tournament competition there shall be two categories. Division I shall be schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level do not receive need–based financial aid. Division II shall be those schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level may be the recipients of need-based financial aid.

They moved out of D-II several years ago because they were getting killed in football by McCallie, Baylor, et al. As I understand it, ND students participating in TSSAA sports  do not receive aid.

Edited by cow451

Churches can do whatever they want with their money tssaa cant tell a church not to give a student money.  Once the money belongs to the student they can then use it however they want.  The tssaa counts on the private schools to abide by the spirit of this law but they dont and then they plead ignorance saying they had no clue where the money came from all they know if the student is paying it.  This will never be able to be controlled by TSSAA.  2 years ago the schools that are supposed to run the TSSAA voted 67% to 33% to split public and private schools in athletic competition.  The board of controls went against this and voted not to.  More privates want a total split than you think but ones in power dont so here we are.

Churches can do whatever they want with their money tssaa cant tell a church not to give a student money.  Once the money belongs to the student they can then use it however they want.  The tssaa counts on the private schools to abide by the spirit of this law but they dont and then they plead ignorance saying they had no clue where the money came from all they know if the student is paying it.  This will never be able to be controlled by TSSAA.  2 years ago the schools that are supposed to run the TSSAA voted 67% to 33% to split public and private schools in athletic competition.  The board of controls went against this and voted not to.  More privates want a total split than you think but ones in power dont so here we are.

I agree, but this is a direct payment from the Chattanooga Deanery Catholic School Education Fund to Notre Dame for the explicit purpose of "subsidizing" a particular student's tuition.

Maybe I'll start up a church and a foundation to provide housing assistance to disadvantaged families so they can afford to move to the Signal Mountain school zone.  redthumb.gif

Maybe I'll start up a church and a foundation to provide housing assistance to disadvantaged families so they can afford to move to the Signal Mountain school zone.  redthumb.gif

What are you whining about - the taxpayers already provide a 100% subsidy to every student at Signal Mountain. That's on top of the millions that they spent building the facility. And you just can't let go of some perceived assistance to help pay some small portion of a kid's tuition at a school that doesn't use any of the taxpayer's money? C'mon man!!!!!

What are you whining about - the taxpayers already provide a 100% subsidy to every student at Signal Mountain. That's on top of the millions that they spent building the facility. And you just can't let go of some perceived assistance to help pay some small portion of a kid's tuition at a school that doesn't use any of the taxpayer's money? C'mon man!!!!!

That is why the T$$AA has a Division II.

I'm done. B)