Parents heckling coaches, what are they trying to prove?

runtheball

This is becoming a huge problem in all youth sports from ages 6-18. I will never understand a parent yelling at coaches during a game or why they are allowed to. Do they really think this will help? Can they not be restrained by the administration? Probably not when they are not even there or so far from the bleachers they can't hear.I have even heard some say that this is a part of being a coach. If that is so would a parent be allowed to stand in a school and berate a teacher or principal? No,there butt would be removed.  The athletic field in middle and high school sports is an extension of the classroom and this type of behavior should be addressed and person be removed or told be quite. On top of this coaches are to not say anything to a parent and are expected to take this crap. How are the kids to respect the coaches when parents act this way. This is not all parents,even most of them wish the person would shut up, but that is not their job to do. Don't say this will never stop,because if something is not done then this problem is going to get worse. 

Edited by runtheball

Because they don't have the guts to coach themselves and they do it because they want other parents to say they should be coaching and it makes them feel good about themselves when they don't have the guts to coach. Most have never played a snap of football and living through their kids that luckily turned out to be pretty athletic due to their embarrassed mother sitting in the stands.

• Upvote 1

Growing up I saw this first-hand far too often. As I got older it became more difficult to listen to without responding. My dad would always say to ignore them or move seats. He always said coaches couldn't hear the comments. This is true. However, coach's families can hear. Wives, children, etc. I have a feisty little sister that knows football. Every time someone would yell at our dad she would ask who their son was and then begin telling them everything their son was doing wrong. Our dad has been yelled at, cursed at, threatened with a brick, etc. Nothing was ever done. And most importantly, dad always said you can't punish a kid for the actions of an adult.

• Upvote 1

Growing up I saw this first-hand far too often. As I got older it became more difficult to listen to without responding. My dad would always say to ignore them or move seats. He always said coaches couldn't hear the comments. This is true. However, coach's families can hear. Wives, children, etc. I have a feisty little sister that knows football. Every time someone would yell at our dad she would ask who their son was and then begin telling them everything their son was doing wrong. Our dad has been yelled at, cursed at, threatened with a brick, etc. Nothing was ever done. And most importantly, dad always said you can't punish a kid for the actions of an adult.

I have been on the same end as your Dad. I am talking more about when it gets beyond play calls or there son not playing. I am referring to the person who berates personally. I love 2nd guessers,they are okay. But the guy who makes is personal is not . I think they should be removed if asked to stop and continues. They embarrass their son and others,even their own family. 

I do not coach, but have been around the game for a long time.  I go to many high school games in the area and see exactly what you are talking about.  You almost want to go to their place of employment and heckle them at work. 

"John, you know you really stink at typing documents."  "Billy, you are pretty much worthless."  etc. 

As a teacher and a Coach I will respond to this.  I have been called names, told I was an idiot, and been met at the door with an upset parent.  Parents are more passionate than anyone when it comes to their kids.  My policy has always to keep a positive attitude, treat everyone fairly, and to never make a personal attack on a kid.

With all that being said, I never paid much mind to all of this stuff.  I expect parents to have this passion.  When you as a coach do your job with a positive attitude and the players respect you, parent problems are less previlent. 

Many coaches bring heartache on themselves, especially in football, by screaming visually in the parents eyes during play.  When a coach does this, they too need to expect passion from their parents.  Coaches are teachers on the field, so coaching is teaching with a purpose.  There will always be parent problems when Jimmy and Joes parents look through parent glasses when it comes to playing time, just how it is.  That was always my parent problem, never anything else.  I CAN LIVE WITH THAT!  I dare say that these parents are upset because the coaches attitude is shown in a negative way.

As a parent I have always made it a point to never get involved with playing time, that is between them and the coach and my child's effort.  I have seen my self get that fire in my belly when coaches of my children become negative and make it personal with no teaching value involeved.  I don't mind a coach getting in my kids grill, but it should be with a teaching purpose with some validity about why they were yelled at.  I agree there are some parents out there that will never be happy, my theory they are upset because of their own short comings as a parent.

Well, most of these are parents who have the rose colored glasses who feel little Johnny is getting the short end of the stick.   They lash out at the one guy who controls that situation, The Head Coach.  

In rare instances, there is an unqualified Coach running the team.  You see it a whole lot more in the "other" sport than in Football.  Often a school can't land a Soccer Coach or a Girls Softball Coach and they convince the "typing teacher" she'd be a good fit since she's had so much success with the 7 and 8 year olds at the Rec league slowpitch games.  

I've personally seen that and it is very hard to bite your tongue.  For the sake of the kids, though, YOU MUST!   Rarely do you see an unqualified guy heading a football program, though it does occasionally happen.    If you have issues with what he's doing, schedule a meeting with him and talk it out.  Never seen one that wouldn't at least listen to a complaint or comment if it's handled in a professional manner.   

To the guy who said you don't have the "guts" to coach.... Doesn't have a darn thing to do with "guts".   It has to do with a career path you chose many years ago.   Most folks are in a "support mode" if they have kids in high school and can't afford to return to college to receive a degree and Coach.   You can go the "non faculty" route, but that takes five years I believe to qualify as a head coach and then you'd have to find someone willing to allow you to be a member of his staff as a non-faculty assistant to obtain that five years.

I'm not defending the actions of the fence Huggers yelling, I'm just saying the word "guts to Coach" really makes no sense.

Run I've been in a meeting before where a group of teachers were yelled at, cursed, threatened, etc. Principal let it go on, listened to it, and when I got up to walk out he got mad at me for not being respectful and listening. Needless to say I left that school. Parents and politicians rule the schools. Teachers have very little say in their jobs and the educational process. Coaching is an extension of this. This is why you are seeing more and more that when a teacher gets his years in he retires.

Edited by workinprogress

Coaches step into the job knowing that these types of situations can and will occur. Should it happen...no. We have to think an eye for an eye here..... Put a coach in a Refs shoes for once.... Would they appreciate the constant hazing? Or the constant disagreements (from coaches) with the calls they make? Refs and coaches know what they are getting into, and the parents/fans of these players aren't always going to be socially respectable.

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS