Volunteer Falcons New Coach New Conference Fresh Start

DandDD

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's his background?

Someone closer to the Volunteer program can probably do a better job answering but from what I remember he was a long time assistant coach at several programs in Southwest Virginia that have multiple state titles between them. He may have been a head coach as well somewhere along the way as well. The PV and GC that DanDD referred to are Powell Valley and Gate City. From an outsider it appears that this is really the right time for a new coach with the revamp in districts in Tennessee. I believe he was ready to retire from the Virginia system when the Volunteer job came open. The man has been a part of winning programs and he happens to get to coach now at what is the biggest school in the new 4A so we'll see how it goes. Church Hill was ALWAYS a powerhouse in the old Upper Lakes Conference and did well in their playoff classification years ago. I don't know what happened when the schools were consolidated but Volunteer has never come close to that level in the 35 or so years it has been a school. Edited by RebRaider85

What's his background?

Coach Jones played his High School career at the old Sullivan West High School and his college career at Carson Newman College during the late 70s and early 80s. He was an assistant at Powell Valley High School in Big Stone Gap Va. (I think he was the defensive coordinator) and had the same title at Gate City High in Gate City Va. During that time these two schools had a combined 9 State Championships (Class A division1 and 2 levels). I think one of the titles at GC was a Class AA title (not 100% sure of that). He left coaching in 09 to spend time with his family. In 2010 GC won another title and i know for a fact that he was still spending a lot of time with that team also.

All that being said, he definetly has great credentials. I don't know how competitive a team they will have, but knowing Barry Jones and his style of play they will field a team that will be flying to the football and putting a lick on people when they get there.

If you're going to play for him you better be ready to hit people. Hope he puts together a decent staff to help him. A lot of work to do.

Go Falcons!

Edited by DandDD

Good luck to the Falcons.I can't see anything but improvement for your program from where it has been.It was down right ugly at times over the last few years.Watching your jv last year,I could see you had some players coming up but they needed a lot more coaching then they were getting.We are lucky to have such a deep staff at DB,maybe your new coach can build a deep staff and you guys will have something to be proud of.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DanDD, any info on Volunteer spring practice schedule and scrimmages? South used to scrimmage the Falcons in either the spring or fall but I hear we've got Elizabethton and Dobyns-Bennett this spring.

Haven't seen or heard about what the spring schedule. If i hear of anything i'll let you know. I'm kinda out of the loop since i moved from Church Hill and don't get to talk to my old coaching buddies much anymore.

• 5 weeks later...