Top AAA teams in 2016-17

SweetScience

If Chandler Lawson goes to a prep school, and T.J. Moss transfers to Ridgeway (like I've been told), East will not repeat as state champs next year...

East already has added Dude Mccollum so thatll make up size on the inside. And dont forget about Malcolm Dandgride, he's not Chandler at all but he can do enough to outplay the average HS center. Supposedly Moss isn't leaving anymore but we'll see how they look Thursday-Saturday at MUS. And East could win without Lawson and Moss if you ask me. They are still the biggest team around and Penny will make sure he has players. We have no clue what the freshmen will be able to contribute, the 2020 class is special and sometimes is overlooked because its another Lawson in 2021. Cameron "Mook" Matthews, Tayson Parker(if he stays in the city) and Matthew Murrell are special mark my words I have warned you all. None of them are going to East, just mentioning names for you all to look out for.

Edited by TonyG

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East already has added Dude Mccollum so thatll make up size on the inside. And dont forget about Malcolm Dandgride, he's not Chandler at all but he can do enough to outplay the average HS center. Supposedly Moss isn't leaving anymore but we'll see how they look Thursday-Saturday at MUS. And East could win without Lawson and Moss if you ask me. They are still the biggest team around and Penny will make sure he has players. We have no clue what the freshmen will be able to contribute, the 2020 class is special and sometimes is overlooked because its another Lawson in 2021. Cameron "Mook" Matthews, Tayson Parker(if he stays in the city) and Matthew Murrell are special mark my words I have warned you all. None of them are going to East, just mentioning names for you all to look out for.

How many do you see going to Whitehaven to play for coach Faragi Phillips? If I remember correctly, you mentioned to me earlier in another thread that Whitehaven has been attracting a lot of up and coming players.

Edited by kwc

From public relations standpoint I would say Lawson. From a basketball impact I would say Lomax. This young man is special. He can impact a game without scoring many points. Hard worker and tough as nails.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Coach Smith isn't going to put up with a lot of mess that usually comes from dealing with some of the AAU coaches and parents. I'm thinking that Penny and Coach Smith will be able to work well together because Penny isn't your average AAU coach/sponsor. I think Lomax is key. I think he's a Tubby type of player. I think landing him is crucial. I think landing Chandler would be nice, but it depends upon how things go with Tubby and his two older brothers. On that, I think its wait and see.

I will say this mainly from my opinion of what Tubby has shown us in the past and the type of players he normally has. I think he will ruffle a lot of feathers in the city as far as inner city recruiting will go. We have extremely talented kids in the city but not all may be tubby type players. Alot of the rank kids are used to run and gun systems similar to what CJP tried to do during his time here, Which was fine when it worked, but when we faced smarter teams who would slow us down we struggled to score because we excelled in the fast break. Some of the kids are behind now days when it comes to basketball IQ which i contribute to AAU's run and gun chuck up shots philosphy. What im basically saying is not all 4/5 stars from memphis will fit the scheme nor will Tubby want every last one of the highly touted ones. He also will not deal with egomaniacs, you have to be a team player to play with him. 

But enough ranting, to answer to question Alex Lomax would be the more important 2018 recruit because in him you have a extremely reliable battled tested PG for the next four years. He'll be the type of steady floor general like SMU has had in Nic Moore under Larry Brown, not flashy but he will get it done and fans will love him. 

To go beyond 2018, Chandler Lawson is the stuff and will go down as a 5 star in the end especially if he ops for a high profile prep school for the next 3 years. His main thing will be coming into his body and developing more wing skills as he matures. But Dj Jeffries shouldn't be overlooked. If you haven't seen the kid play, its a must see. He's a true 6'7-8 195 and is already comfortable in his body, from what i've seen watching the two he moves alot more fluid compared to lawson and has a lil handle and can already make consistent jumpshots.

If Lawson leaves for Oak Hill or IMG I doubt he comes to the UofM, if he isn't heck bent over playing here for HS I dont think he would care for doing it in college either. The lawson's are running a business man lol

I agree with Lomax and I think you hit the Lawson's attitude towards this spot on. I actually think it is in Chandler's best interest to STAY put and learn under Penny. I think his, Penny's, experience in college and in the pros is invaluable. Why leave East when you have THAT resource available already?

I agree with Lomax and I think you hit the Lawson's attitude towards this spot on. I actually think it is in Chandler's best interest to STAY put and learn under Penny. I think his, Penny's, experience in college and in the pros is invaluable. Why leave East when you have THAT resource available already?

So you telling me that Penny has more experience coaching elite players than Coach Smith at Oak Hill? Chandler family wants him to shine and in Penny system only player will shine is Lomax. Chandler would be best to go to a school that is going to keep him ranked high, well that's what everyone really wants.

So you telling me that Penny has more experience coaching elite players than Coach Smith at Oak Hill? Chandler family wants him to shine and in Penny system only player will shine is Lomax. Chandler would be best to go to a school that is going to keep him ranked high, well that's what everyone really wants.

More experience, probably not, but he has a lot of experience on all three levels. Penny has been a Blue Chip recruit, such as Chandler is presently. Penny has been a top level elite NCAA college basketball player, as Chandler is projected to be. Penny has also been a top level elite NBA player, as Chandler dreams to be. Penny has EXPERIENCED the trifecta. Penney's coached a middle school to a state championship, as well as, a high school team. He did the latter with a team that is chock full of D1 talent, which requires managing the ego's of the players, as well as, their parents. He's also very experienced dealing with the current AAU/college basketball culture as a result of his AAU program. He's uniquely qualified and his teams have experienced success at the highest level in that regard ... because top level players have to learn how to play and grind with other top level players. There is NOTHING that IMG or any other prep school can offer in THAT regard that Penny doesn't already provide. Memphis East will play top notched prep schools from around the country, like they did last year, because Penny's organization will arrange the games in the early season before Christmas. Because East has other D-1 prospects such as Alex Lomax and T. J. Moss, he has also learned how to play alongside other top notch D1 players in the trenches. Playing in high school coming out of Memphis for the state championship is equally as tough and rugged as playing prep ball. There are other high school programs in Memphis that are deeply talented also. Getting out of Memphis isn't a cake walk, especially in AAA basketball. Probably more intense because getting out of Memphis is probably one of the more difficult task that a high school basketball team will experience. Playing on Team Penny affords the same exposure. You actually think that Chandler going to a prep school is going to allow him to shine more? Please ... he's going to have to learn to be a very talented TEAM player, just like he has to learn at East, except at the prep school, Chandler is going to have to learn his team mates making it difficult to develop chemistry. Chandler has the talent. Playing at East he's learning how to be a consistent CHAMPION while playing with a consummate leader in Lomax. Chemistry isn't an issue because he knows his team mates. East played 10-12 people. Alex played within the system. There were no individual players that shined more then others. The fact that Lomax was the Gatorade Player of the Year, as well as, the State Championship MVP, is a testament to Lomax's talent and LEADERSHIP, then anything else. Go back and look at the stats ... Lomax never took more shots then T.J. Moss, or anybody else for that matter. Don't hate on Lomax just because his game is solid. All of the East players got playing time, and Chandler started as a FRESHMAN. You actually think he's NOT being considered an elite player by Penny? Penny is grooming the young man to be a contributing teammate and a leader.

Like I said ... he doesn't have to leave Memphis East to get the exposure and the experience. It's probably better to stay home and develop here with a former NBA all star who can help him grow and mature and handle the pressure that will come with being such a sought after basketball player. Penny doesn't coddle any of his players. All of Penney's players HAVE to play DEFENSE. Prep schools don't focus on that as much. That's what you want in a coach, especially when you are dealing with someone with his level of talent. He can leave ... but it's not necessary. Staying in Memphis didn't hurt Skal's rating or any other player coming out of Memphis. The rankings are established during the summer anyway, during the AAU season, not during the winter high school basketball season.

Edited by kwc

How many do you see going to Whitehaven to play for coach Faragi Phillips? If I remember correctly, you mentioned to me earlier in another thread that Whitehaven has been attracting a lot of up and coming players.

Murrell and Matthews are locks for Phillips. Theyll be at MUS friday.

And DJ Jeffries is at Olive Branch last time I heard. Haven't seen OB at all this summer, and they wont be at MUS either. DJ attended Cordova for middle school; How does someone go from Cordova all the way to Olive Branch my exact thoughts. I will not be shocked if he ends up at Cordova to beef that team back up in the middle. The wolves lost alot of size in Dupree, and DJ runs with Tyler Harris and Rod Brown on the AAU circuit with team Thad and looks very comfortable doing so. Olive Branch has already lost Mccollum to East and graduated a shooter in Boyd last year so winning may not be on there side in 6A for Mississippi.  

Edited by TonyG

Idk how much research you do but prep schools do not play quality talent(compared to what they have) every night. Every now and then they will travel and face a IMG, Huntington, Chiminade, etc. But most of the times they are blowouts against teams that dont belong on the floor with them. Steve Smith is a great coach thats not up for debating, the program there is definitely Pro ball or bust. But if you look at there schedule and compare it to East, you'll see that they played some of the same teams. Memphis does a good job with the showcases and classics of bringing in quality top ranked teams and sending them home with an L and a note attached reminding the country "yes, we are still here". Sometimes playing on a team with nothing but ranked players isn't the best solution. Yes you will have intense practices and get better with each other, but game time may not challenge you the same if the floor is spaced by 3 other 4 or 5 star caliber players, it could essentially be a 1on1 fest. Look at Oak Hill's average margin of victory and tell me how competitive things were(+27.7). It may be best to remain put at East for 2 more years, if it gets to easy for him and they win 2 more rings then maybe opt for a prep school his final year and sharpen his skill set. The only way this kid drops out of the top 25 will be on his own accord because he is put in the position to be noticed throughout the summer and he doesn't play up consistently. 

And I don't think Lomax shines bc of Penny, I don't really think favoritism is the reason why he shines either. Penny likes to win he will put winners on the floor, I've seen him start other guards over Lomax in the EYBL such as Jarkel Joiner and John Petty. I think he stands out the most on East because he doesn't force the issue as much as others on offense. Lomax is very patient and lets the game come back to him so so you wont see him attempting as much shots as others. And I think Chandler will shine more due to a year of getting better and stronger. The kid is nothing but arms and legs so shorter wider defenders were able to easily get him out of positioning. 

Edited by TonyG

Phillips will win at Whitehaven. He battled East close 3 times last year. They may start off slow this year because of youth but they should click by the playoffs. I do not know if they have enough to beat East or Cordova.

When those kids are juniors they will be ready. 2 years is my guess at a state run, maybe even next year. 

More experience, probably not, but he has a lot of experience on all three levels. Penny has been a Blue Chip recruit, such as Chandler is presently. Penny has been a top level elite NCAA college basketball player, as Chandler is projected to be. Penny has also been a top level elite NBA player, as Chandler dreams to be. Penny has EXPERIENCED the trifecta. Penney's coached a middle school to a state championship, as well as, a high school team. He did the latter with a team that is chock full of D1 talent, which requires managing the ego's of the players, as well as, their parents. He's also very experienced dealing with the current AAU/college basketball culture as a result of his AAU program. He's uniquely qualified and his teams have experienced success at the highest level in that regard ... because top level players have to learn how to play and grind with other top level players. There is NOTHING that IMG or any other prep school can offer in THAT regard that Penny doesn't already provide. Memphis East will play top notched prep schools from around the country, like they did last year, because Penny's organization will arrange the games in the early season before Christmas. Because East has other D-1 prospects such as Alex Lomax and T. J. Moss, he has also learned how to play alongside other top notch D1 players in the trenches. Playing in high school coming out of Memphis for the state championship is equally as tough and rugged as playing prep ball. There are other high school programs in Memphis that are deeply talented also. Getting out of Memphis isn't a cake walk, especially in AAA basketball. Probably more intense because getting out of Memphis is probably one of the more difficult task that a high school basketball team will experience. Playing on Team Penny affords the same exposure. You actually think that Chandler going to a prep school is going to allow him to shine more? Please ... he's going to have to learn to be a very talented TEAM player, just like he has to learn at East, except at the prep school, Chandler is going to have to learn his team mates making it difficult to develop chemistry. Chandler has the talent. Playing at East he's learning how to be a consistent CHAMPION while playing with a consummate leader in Lomax. Chemistry isn't an issue because he knows his team mates. East played 10-12 people. Alex played within the system. There were no individual players that shined more then others. The fact that Lomax was the Gatorade Player of the Year, as well as, the State Championship MVP, is a testament to Lomax's talent and LEADERSHIP, then anything else. Go back and look at the stats ... Lomax never took more shots then T.J. Moss, or anybody else for that matter. Don't hate on Lomax just because his game is solid. All of the East players got playing time, and Chandler started as a FRESHMAN. You actually think he's NOT being considered an elite player by Penney? Penny is grooming the young man to be a contributing teammate and a leader.

Like I said ... he doesn't have to leave Memphis East to get the exposure and the experience. It's probably better to stay home and develop here with a former NBA all star who can help him grow and mature and handle the pressure that will come with being such a sought after basketball player. Penny doesn't coddle any of his players. All of Penney's players HAVE to play DEFENSE. Prep schools don't focus on that as much. That's what you want in a coach, especially when you are dealing with someone with his level of talent. He can leave ... but it's not necessary. Staying in Memphis didn't hurt Skal's rating or any other player coming out of Memphis. The rankings are established during the summer anyway, during the AAU season, not during the winter high school basketball season.

Rankings are established year round, I don't see Moss going back East or Lawson going back. Unfortunately we live in a world where Rankings matter more team awards to kids and they parents. Plus they already have a state championship.