Is it too early for 7 innings?

bleachercoach

Is it too early for pitchers to be pitching a full game? What is the "cut-off" or too many pitches this early in the season?

I'm hearing of quite a few pitchers in the Roane Co. area that are pitching complete games. Is this good, this early in the season? :P

825626371[/snapback]

It depends on the pitcher's work ethic in the previous offseason. I knew of a guy who would throw 100 pitches a day in the offseason. If they didnt pick up a baseball untill February then no way.

As a former college pitcher and now coach, I can tell you that it definitely depends on the guy and the situation. It first depends (as stated earlier) on their work eithic in the off-season and how they kept their arm in shape. It depends on your schedule. Will he have enough rest before you will need him again. How does his arm handle that many pitches. I could always have a high pitch count (132 was my highest) and if i had three days of rest i was ready to go again and i was fine. If all of these conditions are question marks then yes i believe that it is too early. This is high school baseball but he will have to have the use of his arm for the rest of his life. I'm out

Well thats a VERY low pitch count. I dont think a pitcher should be allowed to throw over 100 pitches in a game this early unless its a must to give the team the best chance of winning.

825626705[/snapback]

ya, but it was against csas. against the likes of marion, grundy, and hixson, i think the pitch count for 7 innings will be much higher... i know smalley threw 99 in a cg against soddy and only had 1 earned run...

As a former college pitcher and now coach, I can tell you that it definitely depends on the guy and the situation. It first depends (as stated earlier) on their work eithic in the off-season and how they kept their arm in shape. It depends on your schedule. Will he have enough rest before you will need him again. How does his arm handle that many pitches. I could always have a high pitch count (132 was my highest) and if i had three days of rest i was ready to go again and i was fine. If all of these conditions are question marks then yes i believe that it is too early. This is high school baseball but he will have to have the use of his arm for the rest of his life. I'm out

825626717[/snapback]

ya that is all true... the big keyword here is tolerance... if the arm can tolerate it for the entire season, and then you must consider the damage of wear and tear that could affect collegiate ball, then some pitchers might be reconsidering how many pitches or how often they throw.

i know toby woodlee threw essentially every other game it seemed like.... again, if he could tolerate it, then it is up to him.