Metro Coaching Changes

cobrafan90

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumor was floating around before the district tournaments that Coach B at Maplewood was the next Antioch coach. Reasons- NTE certification / recruiting allegations / more athletes. Pearl's best freshman is Deaunte Mason from Gra-Mar (Maplewood feeder) Hillsboro's best freshman is Josh Brooks from Bass (actually Hillwood/Pearl feeder) Brooks was zoned Hillwood before allegedly recruited to Hillsboro. Hunters Lane's best players came via special transfer. Feeder schools actually don't bring your best players unless you are really fortunate or your feeder coaches "like you"

Hey all you AAU coaches " let the kids have a life and do not steal their money"

O'kay, without stepping on toes too badly I'll make some honest comments. First of all both jobs could be very good jobs. I think Pearl-Cohn has a lot of tallent and could be very strong in the new AA district. If the coach comes from middle school I think Haywood will get the job. He is very familiar with the kids at Pearl because he coached most of them. As far as other coaches go I would expect several assistant coaches to throw their names in the hat. I would be suprised if anyone outside the system came in and got this job.

Antioch is possibly the best job in the system. There is more tallent in the Antioch community than anywhere else in the state. I heard early on that the principal brought the freshman coach with her and he might get the job. NO WAY! Nothing personal, but he couldn't even get the right uniforms to our school for a freshman game. I could say more but I'm not. I know Bodenhamer would probably kill for the job. I personally have a problem with his lack of certification. Not him, but the certification. I can't say anything else about the other comments on this topic by the colorful members.

I think the job will go to someone in the system that may or may not be deserving. Antioch has never had a black head basketball coach and I think that may factor in. Coach Mangrum is a good basketball coach but it looks as though he just wasn't the right fit. The only way it is someone outside the system is if they have an unbelieveable track record.

I wish all of the deserving applicants luck. Antioch could/should be a power. And yes this job could be awarded to someone who has friends in high places.

How about this scenario:

BigPoppa to Pearl-Cohn.

Coach B to Antioch.

Gamble back to Maplewood.

BigChief to head man at Hillwood.

Doc stays put.

825631065[/snapback]

Gee whiz guys. I take one week off from Coacht and look what I miss. Big Chief couldn't possibly get the Hillwood job mainly because I DON'T WANT IT! If I had wanted it I wouldn't have turned it down two years ago. I enjoy being an assistant. I get to do what I love which is coach and interact with the players. A head coach doesn't get to enjoy that aspect of it because he is too busy dealing with idiots trying to rip him anonymously on a message board somewhere or e-mailing the director of schools about his every move, or having to deal with parents wanting to know why their son is not the star especially when he averaged 12 points a game in Junior Pro. Or even why a kid that goes to your feeder school can show up at one of your rival schools the next year because (as the kid will gladly tell you) he was recruited there. As an assistant, I don't have to deal with all that. I just coach and that is all I want to do. Is it really worth the extra 3% to put yourself through all that? If anyone out there wants a hard working assistant that actually LIKES to do the little things, I'm your man. I will not, however, be a part of a 20 assistant coach posse. I will leave that to a few idol-worshippers I know. :unsure: Good luck to all that apply for these jobs. I hope they are all that you think they will be, but somehow I doubt they will be.

Edited by bigchief

WOW, several several comments. I've been out for a couple of days and explosive commentary.

I hope for more positive comments. Several of the candidates mentioned I know personally, and the negative comments are a bit much.

Good luck to all those involved.

Is there any chance McGavock(obviously without Tribues blessing) coach Simms would be interested in Antioch??

One other thing Doc would have to deal with at Antioch vs. MLK. kids hitting the books. There is a certain amount of discipline it takes just to be a student at MLK. At MLK doing your work is understood. at antioch they might not even consider coming to school on game day(but kids will expect to play, including momma and daddy).

Any coach walking into this situation has SEVERAL VOICES(parents) to deal with. The one downfall of a large school. You won't please everybody.

Also I'm already hearing Tahj(6'5" freshman maybe transferring to shelbyville). Talent already depleting at ANtioch.

At P-C, Haywood would be a good fit as would Wilson, but will they lose out to a varsity assistant/head coach. P-C bball needs to use whatever Fitzgerald does to get those football players in the bldg(magnet school).

Lastly does anyone know how much longer Nollner at WC will coach and is anybody holding out for that job?? I know Simms and Haywood both would like to coach at their alma mater.

You guys are funny.....forget who should get the job because of who they know and what bench they have sat on in the past, I want to know who will get these kids into college and who is going to bring that infamos gold ball to Nashville. I hope the best candidate gets the job, but i know that wont happen. Coaches get yo game up!

I guess we will have this silly debate this time next year when the HILLWOOD and WHITES CREEK jobs come open, so coaches start kissing but now. :unsure:

Middlecoach, since both of those coaches are on 100 day contracts, there is no guarantee that the jobs will not open THIS year. It is completely up to the principals at those two schools whether they want to have anyone on their staff on 100 day contract or instead go with someone full-time. Jim and Winston could be replaced tomorrow and could do nothing about it. They no longer have tenure. I know that both of them WANT to go one more year, although their reasons for doing so are different. It is a whole new ballgame in Metro now. Nothing is assured anymore.

Ruppsrunt, thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Especially from a fellow escapee of backward county.

Edited by bigchief