shelbyville super regional

Guest tigerlily

I was not at the game but saw how Shelbyville played all weekend up till the championship and when you play a soft man to man defense you don't get alot of fouls called on you. I saw the West TN Tigers play and they play really physical so I can see where alot of fouls were called on them. Shelbyville had their two best players foul out of the game and another kid with 4 fouls while Memphis only had 1 player foul out and she got her last foul cause of running mouth to the ref and she got a T.

Now for you saying your never coming back to Shelbyville to play? Are you planning on playing in the AAU State? The 13 under State tourney is played at Shelbyville and Motlow. Matter of Fact the 13 under state title game will be played at Shelbyville Central High School.

You won the game. Congrats you have a great team and your coaches do a outstanding job. They have put together a great team and I look for them to do really good at Nationals. Good Luck and See you back in Shelbyville in May.

825637597[/snapback]

I did not say we were never coming back to Shelbyville. I said "we didn't forsee coming back anytime soon". Now that it has been brought to my attention that the state tournament has been moved from Cookeville, I guess we will be back alot sooner than we would like, but we love a challenge and the young ladies will be working even harder for their chance at a state championship.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team should be thankful.  Its hard not to be thankful when one of the ref's is the coach's cousin.  Opp's did you know about that?  And the other official is the coach's roomate.  Now...How fair should the lady tigers feel about the ref's now?

This should have never been allowed to happen to them.  I have no ties to either team but if impartial ref's cannot be found then the touny should be held somewhere else.

Team pride I am just sorry you could'nt overcome the same issues the tigers faced.  If this is not fixed before the state tourny there will be serious backlash.

Good luck to all of the teams in the state.

By the way in watching the tourny I was impressed with #3 from the tigers attitude.  She seems to worry more about her team winning than selfish glory.  That is hard to find with a child that talented.

825637743[/snapback]

Yes, One of the officials is a distance cousin of Tom Insell. He is also a NCAA official and called games in the Womens NCAA tournament this year and travels in the summer and ref at AAU Nationals all summer. Now which is the coaches roommate? Due to the coach of that team is Tom Insell and still lives at home with his Dad and Mom. Jim Brown the other coach of that team lives in Jackson County and lives by himself. To let you know when you come to the state these three officals will be calling that whole weekend due to the same person that assigned the officials for this past weekend will be doing the same in May.

Now for the Team Pride team. I was at that game and the final foul total was 23 fouls called againist TN Team Pride and 16 called againist SSS Nike. That came straight from the official book. TN Team Pride fouled numerous times in the past 2 min hoping that SSS Nike would miss so they could get back in the game. So if you take the fouls called on TN Team Pride in the last two min off then I would guess the fouls could have easily been 18 to 16. That is about as fair as you can get without having it 18 to 18 and you never see a game like that.

Now if you want to talk about cheating. I took my 15 under National Title team over to M'Boro Super Regional last year. I played TN Team Pride in the finals of that tourney. My team had 6 players foul out and their were 24 more fouls called on my team than the TN Team Pride team. Did I sit on the bench and cry, NO. I kept coaching my team and played through it and won the game by 3 points. Did my parents sit in the crowd and cry and cuss at the officals like what happen yesterday, NO. So lets don't talk about bad officials. I have been over to tourneys at Hooptown and sit their and watch them pull the janitor out from cleaning the bathroom and come out and ref a game. That is no lie saw it with my own eyes.

Edited by showtime7

I watched almost every single game in Shelbyville game over the weekend. To blame the refs for any of the games is absurd. I watched Flight beat a team by about 60 in the 16's while the whole game the dads were in the stands yelling at the refs. At one point Flight had had 8 calls against them and the other team 2 yet the team with two fouls kept yelling how bad the refs were. I also watched the 13's game in both the finals and the Pride game. In neither game did the referees control the outcome. I did not have a kid on any of the 13's team, so I could see it objectively. Sure there were questionable calls in all games with some going Shelbyville's way, but just as many going against them. I think Shelbyville runs a very organized tournament. It just drives me crazy when people who should know better complain so much about the referring. In the championship game, one of the girls from West Tennessee walked every time she shot the ball. It was never called. Never! The technical should have been called. Like I said, I was just an observer. Kids should not be allowed to mouth on the court, and I would want it called against my child if she ran her mouth. It's just a good lesson to learn at an early age. Both teams in the finals had great teams. West Tennessee was probably a little better, but don't sell SSS short. They could beat West Tennessee in any gym with any refs on any given night. Speaking of refs..... We used to travel to Memphis each year to the boys AAU state, where most East and Middle Tennessee coaches swore they were cheated yearly. Yet, each year we went back. We never won (A Memphis team always did), kind of like Shelbyvilles teams usually win. Did anyone ever ever stop to think that maybe jusy maybe Shelbyville teams win because they are actually better. I used to give credit to the Memphis boys teams, NOT the refs. That's just part of it. As a coach of AAU boys, I would blame my players instead of the refs. That's what good coaches should do. Again, both teams in the 13's were good, and it was NOT decided by the referees. They actually did not do a bad job at all.

Showtime, you forgot KP!!! Maybe one of the refs is his roomate!!! hahaha

tnwareagle & Showtime7,

You have good insight and that's just it...it's YOUR insight. This has turned into a SSS vs. the world and that was not the intent.

If you actually read the post, I stated that the player deserved the technical...I did not make excuses for her. Whether she "mouthed off" (she did not) or not, she never should have said a word. She knows that now. The refs may not have determined the outcome of the games, but they can AND did change the flow of several games.

Just like SSS can beat West Tennessee on any court, at any time, the same is true in the reverse. I pray that we have an opportunity to play SSS again. Gyms won't matter, refs won't matter, THE KIDS MATTER and that's the bottom line.

And, in all fairness to Team Pride, I don't remember them having a dog in this fight. They were merely mentioned in a post.

I watched almost every single game in Shelbyville game over the weekend. To blame the refs for any of the games  is absurd. I watched Flight beat a team by about 60 in the 16's while the whole game the dads were in  the stands yelling at the refs. At one point Flight had had 8 calls against them and the other team 2 yet the team with two fouls kept yelling how bad the refs were. I also watched the 13's game in both the finals and the Pride game. In neither game did the referees control the outcome. I did not have a kid on any of the 13's team, so I could see it objectively. Sure there were questionable calls in all games with some going Shelbyville's way, but just as many going against them. I think Shelbyville runs a very organized tournament. It just drives me crazy when people who should know better complain so much about the referring. In the championship game, one of the girls from West Tennessee walked every time she shot the ball. It was never called. Never! The technical should have been called. Like I said, I was just an observer. Kids should not be allowed to mouth on the court, and I would want it called against my child if she ran her mouth. It's just a good lesson to learn at an early age. Both teams in the finals had great teams. West Tennessee was probably a little better, but don't sell SSS short. They could beat West Tennessee in any gym with any refs on any given night. Speaking of refs..... We used to travel to Memphis each year to the boys AAU state, where most East and Middle Tennessee coaches swore they were cheated yearly. Yet, each year we went back. We never won (A Memphis team always did), kind of like Shelbyvilles teams usually win. Did anyone ever ever stop to think that maybe jusy maybe Shelbyville teams win because they are actually better. I used to give credit to the Memphis boys teams, NOT the refs.  That's just part of it. As a coach of AAU boys, I would blame my players instead of the refs. That's what good coaches should do.  Again, both teams in the 13's were good, and it was NOT decided by the referees. They actually did not do a bad job at all.

Showtime, you forgot KP!!! Maybe one of the refs is his roomate!!! hahaha

825637803[/snapback]

I don't have a dog in this fight (BUT) I think its humerous that anyone with the user ID TnwarEAGLE would say they watched a SSS game Objectively. (HA HA)

I don't have a dog in this fight (BUT) I think its humerous that anyone with the user ID TnwarEAGLE would say they watched a SSS game Objectively.  (HA HA)

825637866[/snapback]

And you are an idiot, because if you would think for just one minute you would also see the WAR before the word eagle which is Auburn Tigers other mascot...If you know anything about sports you would know that WAR EAGLE is Auburn...

And you are an idiot, because if you would think for just one minute you would also see the WAR before the word eagle which is Auburn Tigers other mascot...If you know anything about sports you would know that WAR EAGLE is Auburn...

825637872[/snapback]

OH WELL NOW I DO APOLOGISE AND ADMIT MY IGNORANCE. FROM YOUR POST YOU SOUNDED LIKE A TRIED AND TRUE SHELBYVILLE FAN, I GUESS I WAS WRONG. YOU KNOW HOW IT IS WITH SUCH IGNORANT PEOPLE AROUND, ITS HARD TO HAVE A RESONABLE CONVERSATION.

You guys are absurd. One the SSS is not retaliating against the memphis girl who chose not to play with SSS this year. Actually, I don't believe anyone expected her back at all. Why would you drive half way across the state when you have a very talented team in your back yard? The other Memphis girl that did choose to play with SSS is another case. And it really doesn't matter about how bad or good the refs are. You still have to make the shots and get the rebounds. SSS did the best job that I have seen them do in the last two weekends on getting the defensive rebound. I wished we had kept the stats on this game as we ususally do but I would wager our rebounds doubled that of the Tigers. And I am not talking about the rebounds from our big girl. The other players really got in there and got the ball. Good calls or bad calls, you still have to make the shot count. Refs can't stop you from shooting all the time.

Good luck to all of the teams this year. Tennessee should really be represented well in the Nationals. Just wonder if ALL the teams could pull together and stop pulling apart to representing our state well.

P.s.

The Team Pride parents are the rudiest parents in the whole tournament. Well most of the parents. If you guys would stop yelling at your daughters and let them listen to their coach, they might actually play up to their potential. You guys are so worried about the refs you forget about the game.

Well I'm going to drop me dime on this. It sad that everybody feels that they got cheated this weekend. Will We all need to step back and look at the big picture. It about the kids. Now if some adults feel they can cheat a child they will pay for it in the long run.

I was really shocked how Tn Team Pride acted. I believe that you win with class and lose with class. Now I not saying that every parent and player did not show class. But I have taught my duagther if you lose you go back and practice harder so next time you make better plays. Now if coaches have problems with each other that is between them not the parents or players. some day we may need each other. If I saw you on the side of the road I would not ask you if you played for this team or that team If you need help and I could help I would beacuse GOD will judge us on how will treat each other on this earth. I even went up to TN Team Pride Coach and told her good game and I was sincere. I would have told parents but they looked to me not willing to hear anything from opposeing parents. I will tell you this YOU WELL NEVER HEAR ME RUN DOWN A TEAM PLAYER OR OPPOSEING PLAYER. It hurt to hear parents run down my child but I have to keep my cool because how will it look to her when her dad is in jail because he could not handle some one say negected thing about her. She knows I push her to get better. Because you ONLY GET BETTER BY PLAYING SOMEONE BETTER THAN YOU ARE. Maybe next time we as parents can show the players good sportmanship in the stands.

Now West Tigers. I talk to your coach before the game and told him that I respect him and his team. He told me that he was told about the ref thing and told Tom he would handle that. The other coach told him that he would not let him ref if West Tiger coach did not want to play under those conditions. Will he did not. They have a great team. I believe that SSS Nike Team respect them. Now if West Tn Tigers do not respect SSS Nike that is sad. But I don't know if that is the case. For my child she respect all the players and just wants to play her best when she plays them. We feel they are the measuring stick on how well she is.

TN Girls basketball is the best and WE need to support each other when we go to Nationals.

Its seem that more people know who I am so if you want to talk to me I always willing to talk ask anyone. We may not agree but I love watching GOOD GIRLS BASKETBALL. I saw a lot this weekend

Edited by Sidetrain

P.s.

The Team Pride parents are the rudiest parents in the whole tournament. Well most of the parents. If you guys would stop yelling at your daughters and let them listen to their coach, they might actually play up to their potential.  You guys are so worried about the refs you forget about the game.

825637954[/snapback]

As a parent of one of the Pride players, I honestly don't recall any parents being rude to their children . I was in the middle of all of them. I know some parents(even myself) made some remarks questioning the refs.. I understand that you can't blame a game on the refs, but there were so many obvious calls misplaced in the game, that it makes you wonder if the refs weren't to blame..I just wanted the girls to get a fair break as any parent would.. If the roles were reversed , wouldn't you feel the same? Even a Shelbyville parent told me that the Pride was getting a "bum deal" from the refs. It's a shame when some of your own fans feel sorry for the opposing team.

Well I do not know what the other poster talking about but how each team treat each other after the games says a lot. Players and Parents. The game on the court don't take it into the stands or chase refs out of the gym.

It has happen on the baseball field were a umpire was killed by an out raged dad and closer to home Cops had to be called to a hockey game in Nashville because of threatening parents. Now do we want to be like that or show that we have good sense.

If a child gets hurt because of a ref not calling something then let the admin. take care of make your feeling know buit not in a threatening manner.