Alcoa and Maryville

a-town1408

You never know who is listening.

By the way did you hear the W.B. fan on the radio (1180) this morning he was giving Quarles down the road for cherry picking all of the top players in Blount Co.  I tryed to call in and tell the world that Maryville didn't recruit and gained no advantage in athletics due to their open zone policy.  Unfortunately I was ubable to get through.

825650264[/snapback]

Good points on this thread by some. Nothing new from the surrounding schools and towns about how Maryville cheats or steals other programs players. Find me a kid that would rather play elsewhere! This subject is sickening, tired and old. Some in the W. Blount community have long had red neck, trailer park hatred and distain for Maryville. For many reasons, none I have heard has decent merit. I have a great many friends and fellow Christian friends who have gone to school and have their kids going to W. Blount. It's a good school mostly. They are fine people. But some should grow up and understand it’s a game played by kids. If you’re a normal parent you want the best for your kid no matter what school system you’re in. When the majority of people at William Blount forget about hating another community for their own dealt lot in life and decide they won't except jealousy and spout out excuses for losing then they can right their ship. Till then they will be a loser and that is sad for a school that has some great athletes attending the school. Good teachers and many, many young people trying to do the right things. Mixed in there are some idiots!

Maryville doesn’t win because they take all the good players away from the other schools. My kid like his brothers who have graduated worked their butts off to attempt to contribute to the winning tradition at Maryville. They worked hard in and out of season. They were home when the coaches said they had to be. They got up at 5AM during the summers to run and work out with the team. We worked our vacations and their part time employment around practices. We paid hundreds of dollars in tuition part of the time because we didn’t always live in the city limits the past 10 years. The boys followed a demanding coaching staff's instructions and sacrificed their time as teenagers. Now they are champions at HS football. They help Maryville win the past 5 State championships and maybe one more before my last son graduates. The kids here work hard and give up a great deal of their free time. We do what is necessary to be competitive and in most cases dominate. HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

We are not originally from here but moved here because I was transferred (1996) by my then employment situation. My wife and I looked at the Knoxville, Alcoa and Maryville areas to include the school situations. We picked Blount County because the schools have excellent academic standards for Tennessee and a more rural small town setting. My sons had played football other places growing up but we knew nothing of Maryville's winning tradition. We soon learned of the excellence demanded at Maryville for academics and the drive these kids have to keep this recent winning tradition alive. We filled out the paperwork and sent the kids to Maryville to get the best education we could find for them within our means. I didn’t care if they played football or any sport, they chose to on that on their own. My son's were not top notch D1 football players but one of them helped to ruin Gerald Riggs’s day one Friday night when UT's future RB was held for 62 yards by a bunch of committed hard working young men who don't care who's on the other side of the ball. Maryville wins because of honest hard work by the kids and a group of decent men who are committed to work tirelessly coaching and developing young men to be better than they were at seasons beginning. George Quarles is a class act and will excel to a higher plateau because of hard work, not shady deals. For one to say otherwise is just plain stupidly. So stop crying about your situation and get to work to fix it and stop giving this lame excuse that Maryville has an unfair advantage. We only need whoever shows up to work to beat most. Sorry I got riled and long winded!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points on this thread by some.  Nothing new from the surrounding schools and towns about how Maryville cheats or steals other programs players.  Find me a kid that would rather play elsewhere!  This subject is sickening, tired and old.  Some in the W. Blount community have long had red neck, trailer park hatred and distain for Maryville.  For many reasons, none I have heard has decent merit.  I have a great many friends and fellow Christian friends who have gone to school and have their kids going to W. Blount.  It's a good school mostly.  They are fine people.  But some should grow up and understand it’s a game played by kids.  If you’re a normal parent you want the best for your kid no matter what school system you’re in.  When the majority of people at William Blount forget about hating another community for their own dealt lot in life and decide they won't except jealousy and spout out excuses for losing then they can right their ship.  Till then they will be a loser and that is sad for a school that has some great athletes attending the school.  Good teachers and many, many young people trying to do the right things.  Mixed in there are some idiots!

Maryville doesn’t win because they take all the good players away from the other schools.  My kid like his brothers who have graduated worked their butts off to attempt to contribute to the winning tradition at Maryville.  They worked hard in and out of season.  They were home when the coaches said they had to be.  They got up at 5AM during the summers to run and work out with the team.  We worked our vacations and their part time employment around practices.  We paid hundreds of dollars in tuition part of the time because we didn’t always live in the city limits the past 10 years.  The boys followed a demanding coaching staff's instructions and sacrificed their time as teenagers.  Now they are champions at HS football.  They help Maryville win the past 5 State championships and maybe one more before my last son graduates.  The kids here work hard and give up a great deal of their free time.  We do what is necessary to be competitive and in most cases dominate.  HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

We are not originally from here but moved here because I was transferred (1996) by my then employment situation.  My wife and I looked at the Knoxville, Alcoa and Maryville areas to include the school situations.  We picked Blount County because the schools have excellent academic standards for Tennessee and a more rural small town setting.  My sons had played football other places growing up but we knew nothing of Maryville's winning tradition.  We soon learned of the excellence demanded at Maryville for academics and the drive these kids have to keep this recent winning tradition alive.  We filled out the paperwork and sent the kids to Maryville to get the best education we could find for them within our means.  I didn’t care if they played football or any sport, they chose to on that on their own.  My son's were not top notch D1 football players but one of them helped to ruin Gerald Riggs’s day one Friday night when UT's future RB was held for 62 yards by a bunch of committed hard working young men who don't care who's on the other side of the ball.  Maryville wins because of honest hard work by the kids and a group of decent men who are committed to work tirelessly coaching and developing young men to be better than they were at seasons beginning.  George Quarles is a class act and will excel to a higher plateau because of hard work, not shady deals.  For one to say otherwise is just plain stupidly.  So stop crying about your situation and get to work to fix it and stop giving this lame excuse that Maryville has an unfair advantage.  We only need whoever shows up to work to beat most.  Sorry I got riled and long winded!!!

825650867[/snapback]

absolutely outstanding post FBEmeritus !!! thumb

All open zone schools have an advantage over schools that are not allowed transfers! Getting just one transfer is an advantage over a school who gets none. For those of you that are mathmatecally challenged 1 is greater than 0, hince the advantage. With that being said I don't and will never deny several other facts such as hard work, good coaching community support, etc... which is the greatest part of Maryvilles success.

It's not rocket science or magic that MHS and AHS are practicing.  First of all and most important, both schools have wonderful academics.  Parents make the decision where kids go to school, not kids.  That means if the parents have the means and/or freedom to choose, most kids will end up where the best education can be received.

Next, support is so important.  Positive support from your community thru thick and thin, a good booster club and people interested in seeing their kid's school succeed and improve is vital.  Both schools are so very blessed in this category.

Keeping a coaching staff together for more than 3 years and consistency are obviously inportant too.  It's great that both schools have tremendous coaching staffs, but it's equally important that these guys have worked together for quite a while and can probably finish each other's sentences by now.

Having a coaching staff more concrened with producing quality young men than championships is vital.  Coach Qualres and reid's succes comes mainly from the fact that they care and the kids know it.  Having big brain pans don't hurt either  :D

Coachable kids are pretty important.  They don't all have to be All Americans, they just gotta listen and wanna improve...whether their winning or losing.  If kids believe they can get better, even if their winning a lot, it's gona be easier to coach them.

A good talent base is important, but not a necessity.  AHS has tremendous talent and relies on that more.  Maryville has less talent and relies more on working and playing smart.

There are intangibles too, like how close your competition is in your division.  For instance, William Blount and Heritage are two big 5A schools in a relatively small area.  On top of that the talent is mostly inside the city limits. 

Another example.  Halls, Central and Powell.  It's hard for all three to stay on top when kids are transferring around and there's that many schools in such close proximity in the same division.  Usually one school of the three will end up with the lions share of talent every year, guaranteed. 

The rivalry between AHS and MHS has polarized folks in this area and typically their kids will go to the school the parents had ties to as kids.  You won't find many Alcoa kids at Maryville or vice versa.  They were raised to dislike the other school and therefore can't even fathom going to school thre.

That's it really.  Like I said, not rocket science. Lots of details that come together to make the perfect environmet for winning and producing championships.

825650178[/snapback]

Nice post :)

For all of you that are grammatically challenged, it's spelled "mathematically" and "hence".  I thought zero was always greater than one....well, I never was much of a math whiz.  That's why we got smart spallurs around lack u gatto.  :)

825650942[/snapback]

Eye thank yore both rong.

Naut times naut iz naut. Won times naut iz naut

Hince iz rong. Hence iz rong. Korrect spellun iz "hints."

Mathematecally iz rong. Mathematically iz rong. Korrect spellun iz "matheemaddocklee."

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Nice post  :)

825650964[/snapback]

People generally think it takes something their school doesn't have or can't attain. That's not true. What's happening at Maryville, Alcoa, Melrose, Riverdale, Huntingdon, Fulton, DB, Oak Ridge, etc can happen anywhere....just takes the right mix of ingredients and the DESIRE to make it come together.

On a lighter note....

Starz, eye am sew glad yer hangen rownd tuu keep us unedookatd raidnexs in line... thumb :(

All open zone schools have an advantage over schools that are not allowed transfers!  Getting just one transfer is an advantage over a school who gets none.  For those of you that are mathmatecally challenged 1 is greater than 0,  hince the advantage.  With that being said I don't and will never deny several other facts such as hard work, good coaching community support, etc...  which is the greatest part of Maryvilles success.

825650924[/snapback]

They're not doing anything wrong. If they were, the TSSAA would be down their throats. Trust me on this. We got suspended from the playoffs a few years ago just because we had a homebound student sitting on the bench.

They're not doing anything wrong. If they were, the TSSAA would be down their throats. Trust me on this. We got suspended from the playoffs a few years ago just because we had a homebound student sitting on the bench.

825651371[/snapback]

Good point there VikeMan! Teams like Maryville that are in the play-offs year after year with the big stage exposure they get have the TSSAA slithering around every late play-off game. If Maryville was cheating it would be found out. I personally would lose respect for the program and not support it financially in any way. I love it because the program is total class period. If Maryville was to close its school to tuition students, they would still re-load and kick butt in football!

I wonder what will happen to Maryville when they move up to 5A in a couple year. Their enrollment has been increasing and I see them making the jump in a couple years. In my opinion yes Maryville is a awesome 4A team but in 5A I am sure they will not win state like they have been. Depending on what region they play in they could lose at least 2 games in the regular season. I am talking about the region that William Blount is in, that region is loaded. I could see Maryville maybe getting beat by Soddy or Ooltewah and going back and forth between Oak Ridge and them. But even these teams are still not the cream of the crop in 5A. If Maryville made it into the playoffs they would probably run into a team out of Nashville(Riverdale, Franklin, Hendersonville) that simply dwarfs them population wise. Its just a fact of numbers. I know Maryville fans will be like nah we will do the same in 5A. Just trust me I have played high school football in 5A and went on to play college football for four years. 5A is a different ball of wax with some very athletic and huge teams coming out of Tennessee bigger cities(Nashville, Memphis).