Campbell County cougars

CampbellCo.man84

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this stage it is really difficult to make an educated assessment of the Cougars.  First of all, what are the other region teams going to bring to the table this year?  Of course, Dobyns-Bennett will be pencilled in at the top, but how does the region stack up after the Tribe?

Based on last year, I expect Jefferson Co. to be very strong.  However, I do not see them rolling over the Cougars like they did last year.  Need input from JC4Life to see what the Patriots will have besides Shiverdecker.

I have no idea what to expect from Sevier Co. and Science Hill.  Not much info on what they will bring at this stage.  Bearden and Karns should be competitive, but with the loss of Elders for the Beavs and Bearden in a constant rebuilding mode, I can't see them challenging for a playoff spot.  Then again, there is not much info to make a determination.

As far as the Cougars go, I expect Coach Dewayne Wells to continue the momentum of the program.  Campbell Co. had about 60 players participating in spring drills with more to come in this summer.  The offense should be strong behind Sr. RB Chris Johnson and Jr. QB Brance Stiner.  Add in 3 experienced players on the O-Line in Sr. Joe Whitaker (also held out of Halls scrimmage), Sr. Matt Goins and 6'5 321 center Brandon Phillips, and the Cougars should move the chains frequently.  The biggest challenge offensively is to find a WR to fill the shoes of departed seniors Josh Allen, Billy Davis, Eric Summers and TE/FB Clark Woods.  Soph. Corey Chapman may be an answer, but WR is a major concern to be worked on over the summer.  Another bright spot for the offense is the emergence of RB Josh Howard.  Versus Halls, he exhibited the ability to run tough between the tackles and has promise.  I don't know much about this young man, but seeing him in action, I look for major contributions from him.

Defense is another story for the Cougars.  After posting 5 shutouts last year, DC Coach Wampler has his work cut out for him to even come close to having a strong D.  He has alot of talent and athleticism, but they are very young.  Of the 3 returning starters, each will be playing a new position.  Chris Bowlin and Cody Johnson may anchor the line and both have good size and speed.  Jessie Bowman is a force and will play Mike with Josh Evans moving from CB to the LB corps.  Travis Leach will be another one to watch.  Coach Wampler has proven he can get a D ready.  I'll try to get to some summer workouts and learn more about this talented group. 

With the talent available, look for the Cougars to be strong if the team leadership and chemistry can continue from the foundation of last year.

825681906[/snapback]

I can vouch for what JC4life may have to say. The patriots are looking pretty tough. Though the defense took a heavy hit with all the graduating seniors, core personal on offense still return, mainly Shiverdecker and Reliford. The QB job is still up for grabs, but all three of the potential QB's are looking pretty strong, a great improvement from the previous year. The big JCT has lots of speed with numerous players running 4.5's or better, Shiverdecker clocked at a legit 4.38 and a new comer Dajuan Harris, cousin of Austin-East star Albert Harris, running a 4.48. But what makes the JCT so hard to beat is the mentality the team has. I've watched those boys in spring practice and now summer workouts, and I can guarantee they work three times as hard as any other team in the area, maybe the state. But one thing is good, the underestimation. If teams think that Jeff County is a W on their schedule, they might be crying after the friday night lights go out. With players like Brent Acuff, Reliford, and Shiverdecker returning from great seasons as underclassmen, the Patriots will be hard to contend with. Good luck Cougars, practice hard or it could be another 35-ZIP.

P.S: No smack talk attended. lol

I can vouch for what JC4life may have to say. The patriots are looking pretty tough. Though the defense took a heavy hit with all the graduating seniors, core personal on offense still return, mainly Shiverdecker and Reliford. The QB job is still up for grabs, but all three of the potential QB's are looking pretty strong, a great improvement from the previous year. The big JCT has lots of speed with numerous players running 4.5's or better, Shiverdecker clocked at a legit 4.38 and a new comer Dajuan Harris, cousin of Austin-East star Albert Harris, running a 4.48. But what makes the JCT so hard to beat is the mentality the team has. I've watched those boys in spring practice and now summer workouts, and I can guarantee they work three times as hard as any other team in the area, maybe the state. But one thing is good, the underestimation. If teams think that Jeff County is a W on their schedule, they might be crying after the friday night lights go out. With players like Brent Acuff, Reliford, and Shiverdecker returning from great seasons as underclassmen, the Patriots will be hard to contend with. Good luck Cougars, practice hard or it could be another 35-ZIP.

P.S: No smack talk attended. lol

825685243[/snapback]

You seem to be more optimistic about how the team will do this fall than I am. I love your enthusiasm, but inexperience, lack of size, and a killer schedule will prevent the Pats from having as successful a season as we`ve enjoyed over the past few years. I agree the offense has a chance to be good, it mostly depends on the line and who plays QB. Having great backs means little if they are met in the backfield as soon as they get the ball.

I won`t touch the 40 times you posted. thumb

Shiverdecker clocked at a legit 4.38

That is quite impressive, if somewhat hard to believe. Not that I am challenging your word or perception, but that is practically world class speed. If he is legit at that speed, he will be a treat to watch!

Thanks for the info - keep it coming.

You seem to be more optimistic about how the team will do this fall than I am. I love your enthusiasm, but inexperience, lack of size, and a killer schedule will prevent the Pats from having as successful a season as we`ve enjoyed over the past few years. I agree the offense has a chance to be good, it mostly depends on the line and who plays QB. Having great backs means little if they are met in the backfield as soon as they get the ball.

I won`t touch the 40 times you posted. thumb

825685267[/snapback]

Wow JC, it appears you have been studying up on the legendary Paul Bear Bryant during the offseason. That is a smoke screen post that even the Bear would be proud of! :(