STRANGE CALLS BY UMPIRES

GLee

I saw "Tomahawk" one time make a real strange call...and some even better comments afterwards.

Late in a heated game with a 1-2 count, two outs, and a runner on first, the pitcher pipes a fast ball just about thigh-high and right down the middle. "Tomahawk" looks at the pitch, takes his mask off and goes back and leans against the fence. Both coaches, the other umpire, the team in the field, the team at bat, all the fans, etc are wondered what the heck just happened. One coach walks over to "Tomahawk" and says "what's the call blue?" Tomahawk says, and I am not kidding, "Awe coach, that pitch was so pretty, everbody here knew it was a strike."

True Story

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?  A caught pop foul is still an out.

825664846[/snapback]

I'm aware that it's suppossed to be an out. But, the rulebook says that if an umpire happens to call a ball "foul" maybe thinking that its going out of play, but it gets caught, the official ruling is suppossed to be a foul ball. I realize that it's rare, but thats the rule.

Here is a direct quote from the NFHS site:

"SITUATION 3: With one out and a 1-1 count, the batter hits a high fly ball in left field near the foul line. The umpire declares “Foul Ball” as the fly ball is subsequently caught by the left fielder. RULING: Once the umpire verbally declares “Foul Ball,” the ball is dead and treated as foul ball. The batter will return to bat with a 1-2 count and still one out. (5-1-1h)"

dank you veddy much.

In a game between Pickett Co. and Clay Co. the first batter of the game was hit by a pitch in the jaw. This breaking his jaw in 2 places. When the trainer got to the batter he was spitting out blood and then threw his helment down in anger and pain. The umpire then ejected him from the game for throwing his helment.

The player is out for the season anyway but the umpire could have understood a little bit.

Here is a direct quote from the NFHS site:

"SITUATION 3: With one out and a 1-1 count, the batter hits a high fly ball in left field near the foul line. The umpire declares “Foul Ball” as the fly ball is subsequently caught by the left fielder. RULING: Once the umpire verbally declares “Foul Ball,” the ball is dead and treated as foul ball. The batter will return to bat with a 1-2 count and still one out. (5-1-1h)"

dank you veddy much.

825665025[/snapback]

wow i never knew that i wouldhate to be in that situation because if i caught it and they called it foul i would be pretty mad but cant complain forever since it's in the rulebook

BIGBADBLUE...WHAT DID YOU DO ABOUT THE FOUL FAIR BALL?? YOU SAID NOBODY NOTICED IT??DID YOU LET IT GO AND PLAY IT OR DID YOU KEEP IT A FOUL BALL??  AND ALSO THE TWO COMMENTS YOU QUOTED FROM OTHER UMPS WERE TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL..THE UMPS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GUESS OR LIE ABOUT A RULE ...THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THEM....ALSO THE UMPS ARE NOT COMEDIANS, THEY NEED TO KEEP THEIR JOKES  (EVEN FUNNIES LIKE THIS ONE) TO THEMSELVES AND TREAT THE COACHES WITH RESPECT..SOMETIMES INCIDENTS LIKE THESE ARE WHAT GETS THE UMPS IN OVER THEIR HEADS AND IN TROUBLE..COACHES ARE A LITTLE SMARTER THAN UMPS GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR SOMETIMES..ANYWAY..CANT WAIT FOR THE DISTRICT TOURN..

825664720[/snapback]

Dude, chill out. Life is waaay to short to not let things go every now and then. Umps make mistakes.

last year at district 8 tourny columbia batter hit a foul about 5 feet outside 3rd base ump called fair they score about 3 or 4 runs win the game needless to columbia went to state lawrence co went home everybody sitting in the right side bleachers saw it and went crazy

I saw a very funny call made by an ump last year. OK, there was a runner on first base. The batter lays down a bunt down first base line. Its a hard roller, and it rolls foul then back into fair territory without anyone touching it. Once its fair the first baseman picked it up and tagged the runner out. Funny thing about this one is the homeplate ump called a foul ball as soon as it started rolling down the line, but the field ump said that it was fair, which it was by about 6 or 7 inches. They got into a long discussion about this whole incident. When it was all said and done the homeplate ump goes and discusses it both coaches. Their final ruling was a "do-over." Thats a direct quote too. Thats what the ump said. The ball was neither foul nor fair, it was simply a do-over. Wow, the coach for the team on defense went balistic. He started throwing chairs into walls and kicking bats over and everything. This could be one of the strangest/worst calls ever.

In a game between Pickett Co. and Clay Co. the first batter of the game was hit by a pitch in the jaw. This breaking his jaw in 2 places. When the trainer got to the batter he was spitting out blood and then threw his helment down in anger and pain.  The umpire then ejected him from the game for throwing his helment.

The player is out for the season anyway but the umpire could have understood a little bit.

825665192[/snapback]

As unfortunate as that is for the batter (hopefully he's alright), I still think that's one of the funniest baseball stories I've ever heard.

ok i have a funny call my coach told me about....

He said a long time ago, his team was batting, and they had bases loaded. The batter had a full count, and (for some reason) my coach sent his runner at third to steal home. The pitcher went to the plate, and the runner at third took off. As the pitch crossed the plate, the runner slid through the legs of the right-handed batter and was tagged out by the catcher. Immediately, the umpire called the baserunner out. My coach ran toward the plate to argue what seemed to be an obvious call. He came up to the plate and the umpire told him that it was an easy call, that the runner was out by a mile. "But what was the pitch?" my coach asked. "A ball," the ump replied.