STRANGE CALLS BY UMPIRES

GLee

In a game this year, The DH was listed in the 9 hole on the lineup card. During the game he batted in the 7th spot. He did not reach base until the 6th. When he did the other coach took the lineup card out to the ump and pointed it out. The ump told the coach," He has been doing it the whole game so we are going to let it go." The coach just shook his head and walked off.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, chill out. Life is waaay to short to not let things go every now and then. Umps make mistakes.

825665210[/snapback]

HEY...JUST OFFERING A POINT OF VIEW FROM BEHIND THE CATCHER, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN..IF AN UMPIRE IS KNOWLEDGABLE AND PROFESSIONAL, HE STILL MAY MAKE AN HONEST MISTAKE, BUT THE COACHES WILL UNDERSTAND IT IS NOT BECAUSE HE IS IGNORANT OF THE RULES OR JUST DOESNT CARE ABOUT OR RESPECT THE GAME...THE MAIN THING IS TO GET THE CALL RIGHT...IF THE FANS AND PLAYERS CAN LEAVE THE FIELD AND NOT HARDLY REMEMBER ANYTHING THE UMPS DID OR DIDN'T DO, THEN THE UMPS MUST HAVE DONE A PRETTY GOOD JOB...THE UMPS WHO LIKE TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THEMSELVES ARE USUALLY THE ONES WHO KEEP COACHES ANGRY AND THE FANS UPSET..HOPEFULLY ALL THE UMPS THAT ARE GOING TO BE ON THE FIELDS IN THE FUTURE WILL TRY TO GET BETTER EVERY TIME ON THE FIELD...I HEARD IT SAID ONE TIME THAT UMPIRING IS A JOB WHERE YOU HAVE TO BE PERFECT THE FIRST TIME OUT AND THEN TO GET A LOT BETTER FROM THEN ON...THINK ABOUT IT!!

Yeah, for about half of them, the mistake is getting out of the car.

825665523[/snapback]

You are hilarious. People will make mistakes, like this guy trying to be funny. Its not like those umps are trying to make one team lose and another win. I'm sure lots of people think they are and that they are out to get them or their little boy. Just grow up and face the facts, you can't always win, the ump isn't the one batting and fielding, and umps will make mistakes.

Here is a direct quote from the NFHS site:

"SITUATION 3: With one out and a 1-1 count, the batter hits a high fly ball in left field near the foul line. The umpire declares “Foul Ball” as the fly ball is subsequently caught by the left fielder. RULING: Once the umpire verbally declares “Foul Ball,” the ball is dead and treated as foul ball. The batter will return to bat with a 1-2 count and still one out. (5-1-1h)"

dank you veddy much.

825665025[/snapback]

I don't know baseball rules that well & i'm just curious ...So if the fielder catches a foul ball (that has be declared foul by the umpire) it is not an out? I always thought you could make an out off of a foul?

last year at district 8 tourny columbia batter hit a foul about 5 feet outside 3rd base ump called fair they score about 3 or 4 runs win the game needless to columbia went to state lawrence co went home everybody sitting in the right side bleachers saw it and went crazy

825665253[/snapback]

This is a PERFECT example of why it is important to wait before you make a call there is no rush to call a foul ball wait until it is touched or passes the bag it is very simple i am lucky that i was taught that very early in my umpiring days so i can honestly say that has never happened to me have i missed a fair foul call maybe but i have always waited

I was given a compliment last night at work by a coach i had umpired a few years ago i asked him if he remembered me umpiring some games he had coached in he said yes i asked him if i did a good job he said he didnt remember i said thank you for the compliment.

Here is a direct quote from the NFHS site:

"SITUATION 3: With one out and a 1-1 count, the batter hits a high fly ball in left field near the foul line. The umpire declares “Foul Ball” as the fly ball is subsequently caught by the left fielder. RULING: Once the umpire verbally declares “Foul Ball,” the ball is dead and treated as foul ball. The batter will return to bat with a 1-2 count and still one out. (5-1-1h)"

dank you veddy much.

825665025[/snapback]

Wow...never realized this one. I stand corrected.

About the umps making mistakes... I have always gone by the statement that the only one who can argue with the umps or about the umps is the person batting 1.000! If no one is batting 1.000 (which no regular player is) then no one has a right to argue. While I was playing intramural basketball, the ref told me I could argue as long as I didnt miss a shot. Which I thought was fair. If I can't be perfect why should we expect a ref to!

I don't know baseball rules that well & i'm just curious ...So if the fielder catches a foul ball (that has be declared foul by the umpire) it is not an out? I always thought you could make an out off of a foul?

825665608[/snapback]

Yes, any fly ball can be caught for an out, usually. But if the umpire makes the mistake of calling "foul ball!" before it is out of play or on the ground, then it can no longer be made an out. Anytime an umpire declares "foul ball", play is automatically dead.

Well, this isn't really a funny call but it sure was a strange situation. Kid up to bat hits far into left, over the fielder's head. He runs after the ball which has rolled up against the fence. All of a sudden, he jumps, turns around, and high tails it towards the dugout, twice as fast as he was going after the ball. He literally almost "tags" the runner who was going from 2nd to 3rd.

Seems there was a fairly ticked off skunk on this side of the fence who was only a few feet from the ball.

Oh yeah, the call? Ground rule double.

i dont know about funny, but i saw a pretty crappy call tonight in the Siegel- Cookeville game. Runner on first, no outs, bottom of the 7th, Siegel ahead by 1 run. Straight steal, called strike on the pitch, batter takes a step forward in the box and stands there. the catcher FAKES a throw. the umpire, who had been decent up to this point, calls batter interference, calls the batter out, and makes the runner go back to first. He cannot make this call because the catcher did not attempt to throw the runner at 2nd, nor did he plan on it. the runner got a great jump and was gonna beat the throw easily. The catcher decided not to throw and just pump faked. The 2005 Baseball Rules Interpretations from nfhs.org state that the catcher has to ATTEMPT to throw the runner out for interference to be called. Therefore, the umpire is wrong, batter isnt out, runner stays at second, and who knows what might have happened after that, but dont take it out of the kids hands! they do the work in practice, let them decide it on the field! not you.

Well, this isn't really a funny call but it sure was a strange situation.  Kid up to bat hits far into left, over the fielder's head.  He runs after the ball which has rolled up against the fence.  All of a sudden, he jumps, turns around, and high tails it towards the dugout, twice as fast as he was going after the ball.  He literally almost "tags" the runner who was going from 2nd to 3rd.

Seems there was a fairly ticked off skunk on this side of the fence who was only a few feet from the ball.

Oh yeah, the call?  Ground rule double.

825666428[/snapback]

That's a HOOT!!! :D

Just a thought for all of those offering up so much criticism for the umpires, each and every year the TSSAA is looking for more umpires. Stop the criticism and get your butts on the field! It's not nearly as easy as it looks.

And don't say you don't have the time to umpire. Each umpire chooses to MAKE the time to umpire. If they can make the time, so can you! If you can do better, get out there and do it!