Maryville vs. Alcoa

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Wow...I log in 10 days before kickoff and I've already missed six pages of posts! The offseason gets shorter every year.

So, my thoughts on this game took me back to my memories from last year. I distinctly recall several vivid thoughts from that game.

- I remember thinking how much more up for the game Alcoa seemed to be than the Rebels. Alcoa hit first, but the Rebs answered like champs. I do not think that Alcoa will get more up for the game this year than do the Rebels. I think both teams will bring as much intensity as if they were playing for the championship in the Boro. I do fear that a team as loaded as Alcoa with stars already committed to the next level could have a "slip up" game at some point during the season. This will not be that game, however, and we will see both teams bring their A games.

- I remember thinking that the game might have been closer if Alcoa had not been forced so many guys to play both ways. The heat last year was a major factor. Alcoa fizzled and Maryville answered by drawing on its reserves and its deep substitution patterns. I do not think the outcome would have changed, because Maryville was simply the better team and would have overcome. But I do think that Alcoa would have made a much better showing if the temperature were lower and if so many guys had not been looking to the sidelines for water while bent over with their hands on their knees.

- I remember thinking as soon as the game ended "Wow, I can't wait for next year. Too bad it's 12 months away."

- I also remember thinking "Next year just might be the year that everyone better watch out for Alcoa." Now I'm not picking against the Rebels. I learned a long time ago as I stood on the front row of a certain miraculous game against Elizabethton not to doubt them. But I do think that Alcoa will be really tough to beat. I'm concerned about the passing game. With so much emphasis put on stopping the run and containing the corners, I fear that the QB might have time to burn our DBs and honestly I don't know who our DBs will be (could someone fill me in?) as I'm not nearly as close to the program this year as I've been in the past. I do think that any team that believes it will beat Maryville by running against them has a large task in store for itself. I know that Duck is an excellent runner, but he cannot beat the Maryville D alone. I do not know who Shiverdecker is and would love for someone to fill me in on that.

Other questions:

How is Alcoa's D?

Are Warren, Duck and Joei going both ways?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Warren, Duck and Joei going both ways?

825717533[/snapback]

i dont see what the big deal is about going both ways. back when i played ( only 5 yrs ago ) practically half the team went both ways, we still managed to pull off a 15-0 season and a state championship w/7 all state players! going both ways is not as hard as you may think. it's up to the players to put in the extra time it takes to prepare yourself for playing both ways. if the players want it bad enough then they wont get tired in the 4th quarter after playing both ways! they will do what it takes in the off season to be able to endure the pain it takes to play both ways!

Edited by EastTNGuru

i dont see what the big deal is about going both ways.  back when i played ( only 5 yrs ago ) practically half the team went both ways, we still managed to pull off a 15-0 season and a state championship w/7 all state players! going both ways is not as hard as you may think.  it's up to the players to put in the extra time it takes to prepare yourself for playing both ways.  if the players want it bad enough then they wont get tired in the 4th quarter after playing both ways! they will do what it takes in the off season to be able to endure the pain it takes to play both ways!

825717550[/snapback]

No disrespect was intended in my question. I hope you did not read it as such. I have ultimate respect for those athletes as well as for the amazing stamina that these guys still possess and that I fondly recall having as a teenager. My point in asking the question is twofold:

1. Knowing if they go both ways will help me assess the impact they will have in their contributions on the defensive side of the ball...if they are playing defense that is.

2. It's just simple logic which suggests that if both teams are equally well-conditioned the team which can afford to play its stars on fewer snaps will have the energy advantage b/c playing both ways will make you more tired than just playing one way.

Not suggesting that anyone will be too tired to play, just stating that some will likely be more tired than others as a result of taking more snaps.

Well to answer your question papa chaos, Chris Shiverdecker is a transfer from Jeff Co. who had close to 1800 yds. rushing last year (led the area in the regular season). He's not big like Duck, but he's go amazing speed and moves. He will compliment Duck nicely in the backfield, his only problem is that he may lose the ball every now and then.

Alcoa's D is greatly improved. They didn't allow a point against Oak Ridge's first team in a recent scrimmage. They are very good against the run, but sometimes not as strong against the pass. The D-line may be the best in the state. Three, possibly four, D-1 prospects in Brandon Warren, Rae Sykes, Martin White, and Mark Avery. They are very good.

Brandon will be playing TE and DE, but he will get some rest at DE from Bobby Keller who is another good end. Duck will play RB, but probably won't play much at LB since we have three other players there who are very skilled, Bart Hicks, Colton Reid, and Justin Dunkin. You might also see Darrell Tate, Matthew Atkins, and James Stultz. Joei only plays QB and punter.

The key factor in this game for Maryville is the Offensive Line. If the O-line does well then the Rebs can get the running game going with Talent and in turn that will open up the passing game...Maryville must establish a run game. If they do that Maryville has more than just a chance to win. Alcoas key will be the QB if he can scramble around and make plays in the passing game then Alcoa can and will score on offense.

Prediction

Maryville-21

Alcoa -27

Other questions:

How is Alcoa's D?

Alcoa's D is solid.

DE- Might have the best tandem of DE's in the state with Rae Sykes and Brandon Warren. Bobby Keller should be getting some work, but will have to continue to improve.

DT- Solid upfront with Martin White, and Mark Avery. Subs include Cody Marsh, Corey Brewer, and Nathan Backus, as well as a few younger players.

LB- Extremely talented group, that is very deep. Bart Hicks, Justin Dunkin, Dustin Lindsey, Colton Reid, Darrell Tate, James Stultz, just to name a few.

Corners- Alex Green has been, and will continue to be a great cover-corner. He is also very good at coming up and defending the run. The hole left by Richeon Belle will be filled with the JC transfer, Chris Shiverdecker. He is very quick and agile, and plays good coverage. Also helping out will be Randall Cobb, Zach Gerhardt, and Cameron Battles.

Safety- Logan Love is a great hitter, and a very smart SS. Kyrus Lankster is quick, and can get on the top of routes with ease most of the time. Backups include Jamar Walker, Brad Blizzard, Sam Thompson and Daniel Sullivan.

Duck will play RB, but probably won't play much at LB since we have three other players there who are very skilled, Bart Hicks, Colton Reid, and Justin Dunkin. You might also see Darrell Tate, Matthew Atkins, and James Stultz. Joei only plays QB and punter. (Quote Tom142)

That is interesting because I could have sworn I saw Lindsey play several downs on defense in the jamboree. In fact I am almost positive I heard his name called on tackles. If Alcoa is so deep and he will not play LB why on earth would they risk him in there in the jamboree? With all due respect I feel some of your depth is possibly slightly exaggerated. Don't get me wrong you have more than usual and your senior class is great no doubt. But as I was watching you guys warm up in single file lines the other night the first three lines or so looked like big boys and the last two or three could have passed for a middle school team. I believe you have a good team, and this may be your year to take Maryville. But indicating you are 6 or 8 deep at every position is a little bit of a stretch. Not basing all of this on your one post Tom, but also TNvols23 and a few others. My guess is ol' duck will see plenty of D action when Maryville comes calling.

Edited by mhs

Duck will play RB, but probably won't play much at LB since we have three other players there who are very skilled, Bart Hicks, Colton Reid, and Justin Dunkin. You might also see Darrell Tate, Matthew Atkins, and James Stultz. Joei only plays QB and punter. (Quote Tom142)

That is interesting because I could have sworn I saw Lindsey play several downs on defense in the jamboree. In fact I am almost positive I heard his name called on tackles. If Alcoa is so deep and he will not play LB why on earth would they risk him in there in the jamboree? With all due respect I feel some of your depth is possibly slightly exaggerated. Don't get me wrong you have more than usual and your senior class is great no doubt. But as I was watching you guys warm up in single file lines the other night the first three lines or so looked like big boys and the last two or three could have passed for a middle school team. I believe you have a good team, and this may be your year to take Maryville. But indicating you are 6 or 8 deep at every position is a little bit of a stretch. Not basing all of this on your one post Tom, but also TNvols23 and a few others. My guess is ol' duck will see plenty of D action when Maryville comes calling.

825718135[/snapback]

[/quote

Yeah Duck will see plenty of action at linebacker. Reid and Hicks both play in the middle so that will not affect Duck. The only time you will see both of those guys in there together is on short yardage or goal line. Alcoa is a legit 2 - deep at linebacker with Stoltz and Atkins on the outside. On the offensive side of the ball is where Lindsey will get his rest now that Shiverdecker is here.

Alcoa has more depth this year than they have had in years. Now it is not Maryville High caliber of depth yet but that is the plan that Reid is following. He has great respect for the Maryville program. :lol: