IMAC Baseball Tourney

PTSportsWriter

JTW was the Man that built EAST into the sports program that it WAS.

The program has slipped under GJ.

No one ever cared more about a school than JTW.

It is a shame that he had to change counties in order to continue to care about sports and athletes.

Sure that JeffCo is glad to have him.

REMEBER THIS COMING FROM A TROJAN FAN

-----

Don't know either man that well, but it's foolish to say that the sports program has

taken a step backwards under GJ. The football team has won 12 games the past two years.

East won a total of 9 football games from 1999 to 2002. The boys basketball team is one of the perennially underrated programs in East Tennessee - 40 wins the past two seasons! The 2005 baseball season was disjointed from the get-go. The 05-06 school year should be a banner one for boys b-ball and baseball.

As for the comment that Palazolla-Franciso-Simpson should have been high recruits. I think that you're overrating the talent level this side of the state. The bottom line is that IMAC football is just not that good. Those guys showed good chemistry for one season. But, Palazolla-Simpson stood out because IMAC passing games are awful and DBs are undersized (Simpson-6'4''). Franciso benefitted from an offensive line system that is churning out 1,000 yard rushers once a year now (Span, Francisco, Russell).

The 2003 Morristown West defense was one of the best defenses in the state that year - yet only Fanney generated much interest in big time recruiting. IMAC is not highly thought of by D-I schools and rightly so.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JTW  was the Man that built EAST into the sports program that it WAS.

The program has slipped under GJ.

No one ever cared more about a school than JTW.

It is a shame that he had to change counties in order to continue to care about sports and athletes.

Sure that JeffCo is glad to have him.

REMEBER THIS COMING FROM A TROJAN FAN

-----

Don't know either man that well, but it's foolish to say that the sports program has

taken a step backwards under GJ.  The football team has won 12 games the past two years.

East won a total of 9 football games from 1999 to 2002.  The boys basketball team is one of the perennially underrated programs in East Tennessee - 40 wins the past two seasons!  The 2005 baseball season was disjointed from the get-go.  The 05-06 school year should be a banner one for boys b-ball and baseball.

As for the comment that Palazolla-Franciso-Simpson should have been high recruits. I think that you're overrating the talent level this side of the state.  The bottom line is that IMAC football is just not that good.  Those guys showed good chemistry for one season.  But, Palazolla-Simpson stood out because IMAC passing games are awful and DBs are undersized (Simpson-6'4''). Franciso benefitted from an offensive line system that is churning out 1,000 yard rushers once a year now (Span, Francisco, Russell).

The 2003 Morristown West defense was one of the best defenses in the state that year - yet only Fanney generated much interest in big time recruiting.  IMAC is not highly thought of by D-I schools and rightly so.

825678393[/snapback]

I do not think the program has slipped under Johnson, but his only hire so far has been Rines. The jury will be out on him until he returns from Iraq and has a chance to coach. The other coaches were hired by Williams. The basketball team will continue to be underrated until they do something in the postseason, or drop playing schools like West Green, Hancock, Cosby, and Chucky Doak. A class 3A school should have 20 win seasons playing 1A and 2A teams. They were only about .500 in the conference. IMAC competition is like any other conference it has its ups and downs. As far as Palazzola, Simpson, and Francisco, i don't know if they were D-1A material, but they could play D-1AA, and i think were recruited by D1AA schools. I think academics may have been more of a problem than athletic ability, I'm not sure of that though. I have seen Cane football for several years now and they were three of the best at their respective positions that i can remember.

I do not think the program has slipped under Johnson, but his only hire so far has been Rines. The jury will be out on him until he returns from Iraq and has a chance to coach. The other coaches were hired by Williams. The basketball team will continue to be underrated until they do something in the postseason, or drop playing schools like West Green, Hancock, Cosby, and Chucky Doak. A class 3A school should have 20 win seasons playing 1A and 2A teams. They were only about .500 in the conference. IMAC competition is like any other conference it has its ups and downs. As far as Palazzola, Simpson, and Francisco, i don't know if they were D-1A material, but they could play D-1AA, and i think were recruited by D1AA schools. I think academics may have been more of a problem than athletic ability, I'm not sure of that though.  I have seen Cane football for several years now and they were three of the best at their respective positions that i can remember.

825678464[/snapback]

I agree with you on the competition. East basketball can not be taken seriously until they start playing DB SH Knoxville OakRidge etc. The schedule is padded with 8 automatic wins you mentioned. Actually 10 when you add Rutledge to the mix each year. West on the other hand plays tough competition year in and year out and become better at the end of the season . They usually peak by the time of the district tournament. Before I would take East baseball and basketball teams seriously, they will have to stiffen the competition and play more tournaments. The win loss record and 40 wins in two seasons does not impress anyone when you consider the lack of competition. You can subtract 20 when you look at the lack of comp. It may look good on a coaches resume but that is about the extent of it.

Look for some tougher competition and post the stats or look for another job. Duffy and Griffin were two characters who never shyed away from competition.

That was there strong suit. And JT encouraged it. Many did not like Duff but he was a competitor and always looked to go higher.

The baseball team needs to play lot more games and tournaments. As this year should prove they will need to put their best athletes in the infield and if they make repeated errors then replace them with the guys on the "pine". With a good defense and infield this year we would have made it at least to sub state. We need to learn from our mistakes not repeat em.

Edited by CNFn

I disagree with some of your points. Consider the facts. The two years that Palazzola, Simpson, and Francisco played for the Canes they played Morristown West, Greenville, Tennessee High, Knoxville Powell, and Knoxville Central, all of whom were ranked in the top 10 class 4A schools at the time they played them. In addition the Canes also played 5A schools Campbell County, Jeff County and Science Hill. Weak IMAC or not that is not a cream puff schedule. Teams from East Tennessee have done quite well in the state the past few years as well.

Chemistry for one year? In 2002-03 under coach Randy Frazier, Palazzola in his first year of football passed for over 1,200 yards and Anthony Span rushed for over 1,100 yards. That was the first time since 1990 that a Cane QB and RB had gone over the 1,000 mark in the same season. D.J. Boseman was the leading receiver. The previous year they passed for only 278 yards the entire season and Span led them in rushing with 600 yards. Francisco played on the other side of the ball at saftey for most of the season. Simpson played and was the second leading receiver.

In 2003-04 under coach Larry Smith, with only one returning starting O-Lineman, both the starting FB and TB gone, and only one receiver ( Simpson ) that had ever caught a pass in a varsity game Francisco rushed for a school record 1,601 yards, and Palazzola passed for 1,551 yards 24 yards short of the school record, and had 1,702 yards total offense 50 yards short of the school record, despite missing the last half of the Greenville game and all of the David Crockett game with an injury. Simpson led the IMAC with 35 receptions, and the Canes also had two others with 20 or more receptions. That is the only time in school history that a QB and RB have both exceeded 1,500 yards in the same season.

Two different coaches, two almost completely different O-lines, except for Simpson two different receiving corps, but with the most productive offense in Cane history, not bad chemistry. The one constant were those three, along with O.T. Michael Branner. Overrated?

Branner is at a D1 school Tennessee Tech.  Palazzola had offers from Morehead State, and Coastal Carolina as well as interest from both Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, and Furman, all D1 schools. He chose Concord University an up and coming D-II school that plays at least one D-I school a year, last year Western Kentucky, this year Liberty University,  mostly because they made it clear to him that he would have an opportunity to play early, and that he was their number one priority at that position. I can not speak for the offers that Simpson, or Francisco had, but I do know that there wer several D-1 schools interested in both. I think that these three kids abilities, not the awful competition, had more to do with the most productive offense in school history.

825678675[/snapback]

I agree I think Palazzola will make it big. He has a rare combination of a great arm and great speed. I wish he would have gone to a SEC school so could follow him

Not JC or West.    Greeneville has really came on strong in many sports and they arent going anywhere.  They will probably dominate boys and girls bball for many years to come.

825678885[/snapback]

And they [GHS] do it playing up a classification. Perhaps the IMAC should refuse them entry :blink: ...

Although, seriously, I wouldn't suggest doing it. It gives something for the other schools to shoot for. Cutting the Devils would seriously dilute what others think of the league, and reduce the talent.

I agree I think Palazzola will make it big. He has a rare combination of a great arm and great speed. I wish he would have gone to a SEC school so could follow him

825678918[/snapback]

I feel the days of D1 hopes in the IMAC could be fading quick.

No D1 college coaches really skim the IMAC these days. And why would they after this year?

Football (Granted its Region 2-4A in the Five Rivers Conf)? - Down year. East started the year 0-4 and couldn't gain a yard or score a point to save their lives, almost had their QB Ramsey killed by opposing defenses in the first four games and darn near won the conference.

West struggled. Cherokee was up and down, so was Greeneville.

Those teams went one-and-done against Region 1-4A in the playoffs..

The bottom of that league (Cocke, Crockett, Volunteer) were not very good. Volunteer may have been the worst 4A team in TN last year. Crockett wasn't very good either, but they showed much improvement from their horrid 2003 team. Cocke County went 3-7; beat Seymour, and played competitively in some games, but were down 21-0 in some games before they got off the bus.

Basketball? Boys - It was Greeneville and then everyone else. Region 1-AAA took the four teams advancing to the woodshed.

Girls basketball was the only bright spot this year with two legit State Tournament contenders, and if not for a bad pass, they would've likely had two teams there. The girls side also had a lot of depth past GHS and JCHS. Morristown West and Cocke County were a solid 3 and 4 and return a lot next year. Cherokee is going to be tough as a 5 next year. East will bring up the rear, again.

Baseball? Jeff was loaded but fell short. West and East were both pleasant surprises. Greeneville had a good nucleus returning from last years Sectional team.

Softball? Jeff loaded here. East fell short. Cherokee was a big surprise.

825678918[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment CNFn, but he was not good enough for SEC play. He did accomplish a lot in a short period of time, and has a great work ethic. Eastern Kentucky recruited him up until signing day, but in the end they thought he was too small. In reality at 6'1" he says that is the biggest change from high school. His linemen are so tall he has trouble seeing receivers down field. That most likely kept Greenvilles Cody Baugh from D-1 ball as well, I don't know that for sure but he had tremendous numbers in high school.

I feel the days of D1 hopes in the IMAC could be fading quick.

No D1 college coaches really skim the IMAC these days. And why would they after this year?

Football (Granted its Region 2-4A in the Five Rivers Conf)? - Down year. East started the year 0-4 and couldn't gain a yard or score a point to save their lives, almost had their QB Ramsey killed by opposing defenses in the first four games and darn near won the conference.

West struggled. Cherokee was up and down, so was Greeneville.

Those teams went one-and-done against Region 1-4A in the playoffs..

The bottom of that league (Cocke, Crockett, Volunteer) were not very good. Volunteer may have been the worst 4A team in TN last year. Crockett wasn't very good either, but they showed much improvement from their horrid 2003 team. Cocke County went 3-7; beat Seymour, and played competitively in some games, but were down 21-0 in some games before they got off the bus.

Basketball? Boys - It was Greeneville and then everyone else. Region 1-AAA took the four teams advancing to the woodshed.

Girls basketball was the only bright spot this year with two legit State Tournament contenders, and if not for a bad pass, they would've likely had two teams there. The girls side also had a lot of depth past GHS and JCHS. Morristown West and Cocke County were a solid 3 and 4 and return a lot next year. Cherokee is going to be tough as a 5 next year. East will bring up the rear, again.

Baseball? Jeff was loaded but fell short. West and East were both pleasant surprises. Greeneville had a good nucleus returning from last years Sectional team.

Softball? Jeff loaded here. East fell short. Cherokee was a big surprise.

825679021[/snapback]

So you think because they have had a couple of down years that the IMAC is done? Just two short years ago they had two teams West, and Greenville ranked in the top ten in the state in football and the Devils also had an outstanding mens basketball team with Malone and company. I think Malone signed with UTC a D1 school. West was also state runnerup in 4A football. Every conference and region has times of prosperity, and down times as well. The IMAC will be back

So you think because they have had a couple of down years that the IMAC is done? Just two short years ago they had two teams West, and Greenville ranked in the top ten in the state in football and the Devils also had an outstanding mens basketball team with Malone and company. I think Malone signed with UTC a D1 school. West was also state runnerup in 4A football. Every conference and region has times of prosperity, and down times as well. The IMAC will be back

825679050[/snapback]

I think East football may fool alot of people, but not those on the inside. This year they are ready to make a big move forward. I would not be surprised if they place an athlete each year at a D-1 school in the next two years.

By the way will Rines and Altizer work together on the baseball team next year? That would be a good combination!

Edited by CNFn