Elizabethton High School Baseball

Baseball Nutski

I have no dog in the race but have been looking around for a 'fit' for my younger son. I came over and watched a bit of the tourny. Yea, I saw the action at second base. AND yes, I definately won't be back. Is there no coaching going on over there?? Respect has to be developed. A descent season turned in to a joke has ruined the season for a bunch of kids. After talking to a parent over there, I know to come to the Cyclones only if you play football. What a waste of athletes. There were some college quality guys out there, but they won't get a fair chance. They are done. What about the quality guys coming back?? They will suffer from a lack of leadership, won't they? They deserve a chance and it should be afforded to them.

What a shame. That black cloud will hang over the baseball program for quite a while.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no dog in the race but have been looking around for a 'fit' for my younger son. I came over and watched a bit of the tourny. Yea, I saw the action at second base. AND yes, I definately won't be back. Is there no coaching going on over there?? Respect has to be developed. A descent season turned in to a joke has ruined the season for a bunch of kids. After talking to a parent over there, I know to come to the Cyclones only if you play football. What a waste of athletes. There were some college quality guys out there, but they won't get a fair chance. They are done. What about the quality guys coming back?? They will suffer from a lack of leadership, won't they? They deserve a chance and it should be afforded to them.

What a shame. That black cloud will hang over the baseball program for quite a while.

825671630[/snapback]

If you have no dog in the race then stay out of it. It had nothing to do with the coaching it was the players that did it. I respect what the coaches done in sitting them down alot of coaches wouldn't have done that. I think that they sould've maybe even set them for the next one also. Sure you're going to have one or two parents who think that its the coaches fault that their kid can't play or whatever but this parent thinks that the coaches their did a good job with those kids.

Yes it is a shame that a couple of kids ruin an entire season for the others.

If you have no dog in the race then stay out of it.  It had nothing to do with the coaching it was the players that did it.  I respect what the coaches done in sitting them down alot of coaches wouldn't have done that.  I think that they sould've maybe even set them for the next one also.  Sure you're going to have one or two parents who think that its the coaches fault that their kid can't play or whatever but this parent thinks that the coaches their did a good job with those kids.

Yes it is a shame that a couple of kids ruin an entire season for the others.

825671689[/snapback]

You are exactly right, I am not going to have my dog in that circus. Things like that brew over time and it starts at the top. It will take a bunch of work to bring that program back together, but first of all you have to have a teacher of the game. Don't be blind. If the kids had any respect for the game, that situation would have been settled off of the field of dreams. Would you have seen that situation anywhere else in East Tennessee? I've narrowed my leads down to Boone High School. Thanks anyway.

You are exactly right, I am not going to have my dog in that circus. Things like that brew over time and it starts at the top.  It will take a bunch of work to bring that program back together, but first of all you have to have a teacher of the game. Don't be blind. If the kids had any respect for the game, that situation would have been settled off of the field of dreams. Would you have seen that situation anywhere else in East Tennessee? I've narrowed my leads down to Boone High School. Thanks anyway.

825671702[/snapback]

You are looking for a high school in upper East TN for your son to play baseball? Did you not consider Science Hill or DB? They have the two best high school baseball(if not all atheltics)program in upper East TN.

elizabethton had a great year in my opinion. at the begining nobody thought e town would do anything much less be a 4th seed in the district tourney and beat a good central team. the fight yea prolley ended it but they dont have the talent to move outta district anywaz really so not that big of deal

For what it's worth, I know the two that should remain nameless here. I know one a little better than the other; a great kid with very decent parents; but everything I hear is that they are both VERY GOOD KIDS.

I have no idea what happened; I only know that I chose to step away from coaching a couple years ago, due to Stress and fear that I might allow my own bad judgement to take things a little too far. I'm better for it, and so is the game of baseball. It's very stressful out there, especially when a young athlete suddenly considers that, after ten-plus years of participating in the American Past Time - in the game he loves - that it could all end ....TODAY. And we the people haven't exactly set the perfect standard of behavior. If this is making excuses for a couple teenagers, who are no doubt, already embarrassed enough, then my apologies.

I heard something about a pre-game argument between teammates. Never a good thing; and I think both had to sit out the North Slaughter, but were allowed to play what many, by then, had determined would probably be their last baseball game.

And Nutskie, many of us have been there. My sons went where they wanted to. I had my own reservations as well, because I actually felt a little Too Close to the Program.

And just curious .... has he indicated where he wants to go?

That couldn't win in AA ball. So what are they going to do next year with Science Hill, Kingsport and the other AAA teams since they have to move up.

825673130[/snapback]

Pal, I was talking about the COACH. Besides, he did a heck of a job with that team this year. Krantz can coach baseball, bottom line, and I stand behind what I said, best coach in upper east Tennessee.

Krich - You are right they are both very good kids. Kids often do dumb things at odd times. As any parent will tell you don't ever say my son/daughter will never. . . . As any parent, teacher, or coach can tell you they will.

This was an embarrassing incident for the coach, the school and the community. The coach did the right thing by immediately benching two of his best players in what was the biggest game of the year. I commend him and all high school coaches who have the difficult job of working with our youth and their parents. Coaching is a difficult job not made any easier by overzelious parents.

For Nutski - I read thru your previous post on this forum - It is very clear that your prime intrest is where your son can be a star not a team member

Post - Where do you see baseball scouts? 16 March 2005

"Where do they show up? At high school games or summer ball? Or summer camps.....

Where do you see them the most?"

Post - 16 March 2005

"That is what I'm trying to find out. My kid is descent and has been playing on a summer team, not a school team. NOW his coach says he has to play with the school team this summer, but they only played, like 3 tournaments last summer. His summer team played around 40-45 games and had kids from different schools, which I think is better. He was 15 last year, but there were some scouts around at some of the tournys, especially in Memphis, and we are from East Tennessee. I'll not get into what team or what school because of causing him problems, but I'm looking for some insights as to how to approach the coach. I"M IN A PICKLE! Coach wants the school team together but I think that may not be the best for him long term. HELP!!!

Post - 18 March 2005

"Thanks for the input. The coach might get mad, but my son is getting letters from people with showcase tournys and we are going. They are expensive, but college cost quite a bit more. He has four unsolicited letters from "showcase" people where he will get the most looks, so off we go. I agree also with other assesments that he should play with his school team. He will play with them when not out of town. Don't think the coach will bench him, he is starting on a high profile HS team this year as a soph. I"ll keep my fingers crossed."

PLEASE DON'T SHOP AROUND IN ELIZABETHTON