Brentwood vs MaGavock

chsfan

Any given day any team can beat another.  McGavock could of laid down and quit, but they never gave up and got a big win.  Is having three great pitchers sometimes not a blessing?  We have three pitchers on our team that can help our team win against anyone.  But when it comes to the the post season as they used to say in the west " you ride the horse till it can't go no further."  So we pitch our best pitcher every post season game, and she pitches the whole game.  If we are up 10-0 she finishes the game.  We do this because she has been there and done that, and has the maturity, experience and leadership to calm down a team if the other team starts a rally.  Anyone that has been around the game knows rally is hard to stop.  Being one of the pitcher's dad, i used to wonder why is she still in?  Why don't we save her for another game?  The answer, just look above.  Brentwood's first pitcher had McGavock's number so I say they should of kept her in until she didn't have their number any longer.  If this game would of worn her out, they had two other pitchers that coulda of started.  Lesson learned and Brentwood will be a powerhouse for years to come. thumb

825675603[/snapback]

softballscout..my point exactly...when you get to postseason, you play your best...from the past month, the Lott girl was their best...she pitched in all the "big" games" leading up to the regionals....the one they started...Harmon..is also a good pitcher, but she didnt pitch much the past month...she didnt have McGavock'snumber, so they made a wise decision to go with another pitcher....however, my contention is they should of started Lott from the getgo....I bet Bretnwood is the only team in the state that didnt use their no. 1 pitcher yesterday....even Goodpasture used Peronni against a team they run-ruled.

Edited by Bleacherbum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am writing this post in support of the many fine players on the Brentwood High team. Over the past ten years my children have played with and against many of the players on that team. I have a daughter at Brentwood who no longer plays softball, one of my personal life sad nesses, but she is still friends with several of the Bruin players. My other daughter plays first base for BA, a team from a division that Bleacher Bum rips when ever there is a Division II post. So, I will ask the same question on this post that I have asked on the most recent Division II post, who are you Bleacher Bum? A lot of people would like to know if your have the courage of your convictions, as you claim you do, to tell us who you are.

Brentwood High had a great year that probably ended too soon but they will be back and a trip to state in the future is almost a certainty! Your team is blessed with four of the best young pitchers in the state and all of them performed above reasonable expectations this season. Congratulations to the players, parents and coaches you are probably as dedicated group as any in the state. We will sincerely miss rooting for you in Memphis. Good luck next season and please do not let the negatives from one un-named person ruin a great run!

Mark Dixon

Tide84..if you go back and look at my posts, I havent said anything that wasnt true...all I said was division II teams were not as strong this year as in past years...even Lipscomb and Ezell (although not division II but normally powerhouses) are down this year....It is too easy to make it to the state tourney in the division II level...just look at some pretty good teams (coffee County, Lincoln county, Brentwood, etc.) that are alreay out and played a lot tougher competition than BA does. This years team of BA could not beat the past teams in the 90's, and alot of BA parents have told me the same thing. If BA is so good this year, tell me who they have beaten that is better than the above mentioned teams that are already put out?

825675697[/snapback]

I agree with you, with Ben & Jamie in the dugout BHS will always be in the hunt.  We tend to forget sometimes that the girls still have to play the game, not the coaches.  Again, Brentwood will be there next year and the years to come.

Good luck to Riley this summer !

825675650[/snapback]

With all the young players that Brentwood has coming back, they should no doubt be one of the favorites for next year.

825675777[/snapback]

One more time, if you feel you can stand behind your comments then you should not have a problem saying who you are! If not, you are just a coward who is making pot shot comments toward coaches and players that you are not willing to say without cover!

One more time, if you feel you can stand behind your comments then you should not have a problem saying who you are! If not, you are just a coward who is making pot shot comments toward coaches and players that you are not willing to say without cover!

825675792[/snapback]

You probably were not at that game...and didnt see those girls crying after the game...I just hope the coaches apologized to them for not giving them the best opportunity they had to win.

You probably were not at that game...and didnt see those girls crying after the game...I just hope the coaches apologized to them for not giving them the best opportunity they had to win.

825675800[/snapback]

put your best on the field, so there are no excuses or sixty post issues. i have not seen harmon or lott pitch this year, only riley. but from what i know of them through travelball anyone of them can be their ace, but every pitcher has an off day. goodpasture would be going for four in a row if not for one error in one game three years ago. Put it behind you brentwood, you could easily get several state titles in the next couple years. thumb

825675800[/snapback]

The coach doesnt need to apologize! If I was coach I would have put in Harmon or Riley. They are BOTH good pitchers and perfectly capable of pitching a great game! Their record shows it. Wasnt Riley the pitcher who beat Goodpasture? Harmon is excellent too. There is not enough difference between the three. Their coach isnt guilty of not pitching the ace, the coach has three aces. The coach also has a great team. Sometimes teams are not on.

825675800[/snapback]

What were they crying about?????? If they were crying because they lost a game they need to grow up and this was probably a great life experience for them.....it's not ALL about winning....

825675800[/snapback]

OK, one more time, saying something like a coach should apologize to players is your opinion and in essence you are challenging their abilities to coach. If you are going to make a statement like that try to have enough class to let the coaches, players and parents of the Brentwood team know who is openly criticizing their coaches and players.

Your comments go way overboard in being critical and judgmental. I do not believe that this is in line with the sprit of what the message boards on Coach T are intended for. I listened to a Brentwood player’s parent today describe your posting style and comments as nothing but poison. But once again I would point out that it is easy to take pot shots from the sideline when no one knows who you are!

Brentwood is one of the best teams I've seen all year. They come to play and to win every game. Their pitching staff would rival any I've seen in recent years. The 3rd pitcher moniker is just silly. All of their pitchers are very good. Decisions on pitching doesn't come from just who's been the most successful but also who's pitching does the opponent have the hardest time to succeed against. It's about matchups. I think the fact that Mashburn came in and was toasted was a classic example of two things. (1), the starting pitcher was doing just as well if not better in this game and (2) the strike zone had to be the size of a shoe box for that many runs to be scored by both teams. It sounds as if the ump's style of calling took the pitchers out of it and made it a hitters' game. Anyone that's been around this game as long as I have, can spot that immediately just by looking at e.r.a.'s going into that game. When you get an umpire like that, you have to turn to your hitters and defense and hope to get the job done. A team like Brentwood has never had to face that many hits in a game this year which means that many more balls to make plays on. That, in itself, would play havoc on any defense. The coaches were putting their team in the best position to win and came up short. That's the fallacy of the "ONE & DONE" first round elimination brackets. TOO MANY great teams wind up sitting home. That is an injustice to the game in my opinion. Several GREAT teams will wind up sitting home and be out of the state tournament simply because of the way the brackets are drawn up. To quote the Riverdale coach from last season, " All it takes is one bad day in May." That's not exactly putting the best teams in the state tournament which winds up watering down the competition and has caused some cake walks in some cases.

The above is strictly my opinion. We have been on this side of it as well. Lincoln County was too good of a team to wind up sitting out. There's a classic case of a team with one pitcher and was worn out going into the district tournament. That puts them in dire straits to win back to back games. It's a shame that some of the better teams wind up like they did. Had they made the sectionals, Lincoln had a great shot.

Well, first of all the game was no particular person's fault...not the coaches, not any individual player's. last time i checked this is a TEAM sport. A pretty wise man once told me you have to have confidence in yourself, confidence in your TEAM, and confidence in your coaches...sad to say, Brentwood didn't show those qualities.

I'm pretty sure i know Brentwood's players pretty well, and i want to say that i truely am sorry that the seniors had to go out this way because i know exactly how they feel...but at the same time, it seems like they were a little over-confident...riley is a young, talented pitcher and the game wasnt her fault. you have to have defense to back up your pitcher and several of those runs were un-earned. Also, hats of to McGavock for hitting the ball. It seems like they were putting it in play to make things happen instead of trying to swing for the fences every pitch like Brentwood did.

Hopefully the younger players will remember how this feels and use it to help them in years to come. Good luck girls, keep your heads up!