You want to talk about having media composure!

Stonewall

Get this one (and I don't have a dog in the race--it's just so unreal). Unicoi County is at their legendary home field facing South Greene. South Greene ties the game at 1-1 in the top of the 6th, then takes the lead 2-1. However, the lead is erased when Unicoi appeals the runner missing home and the ump makes it stand up. So, 1-1 headed to the bottom of the 6th, right? Wrong! The lights short-circuit, the game has to be called because of darkness, and the ruling reverts back to the last completed inning....Final Score Unicoi 1 South Greene 0!!

Can you imagine their coach not exploding in front of the media?!! Now I don't give a hoot for either team, but put yourself in THAT guys place! If it's me, I'm probably pushing the TSSAA envelope for "just what are our rules for fining coaches?"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this one (and I don't have a dog in the race--it's just so unreal).  Unicoi County is at their legendary home field facing South Greene.  South Greene ties the game at 1-1 in the top of the 6th, then takes the lead 2-1.  However, the lead is erased when Unicoi appeals the runner missing home and the ump makes it stand up.  So, 1-1 headed to the bottom of the 6th, right?  Wrong!  The lights short-circuit, the game has to be called because of darkness, and the ruling reverts back to the last completed inning....Final Score Unicoi 1 South Greene 0!!

Can you imagine their coach not exploding in front of the media?!!  Now I don't give a hoot for either team, but put yourself in THAT guys place!  If it's me, I'm probably pushing the TSSAA envelope for "just what are our rules for fining coaches?"

825675296[/snapback]

Wow a very interesting situation, I know if I was the losing coach I will be making a call to the TSSAA to see if an appeal can be made of any kind.

Wow a very interesting situation, I know if I was the losing coach I will be making a call to the TSSAA to see if an appeal can be made of any kind.

825675299[/snapback]

TSSAA was the one that made the call. The head official called them at 9:30, when it was apparent the lights were not coming back home. They called back about thirty minutes later with the ruling.

I find this ruling to be an example of how the TSSAA has forgotten why it was formed. They are a representative governing body, but i find it hard to understand who they represent or who they are accountable to. Very few of their rulings have the kids who compete as their most important aspect. At some point, common sense and fairness of competition need to be considered, not a technicality or even more so the almighty dollar. I have no ties to either school, but as a fan and a coach of high school athletics, I find this to be an injustice. What was wrong with continuing the game today? The TSSAA should have to send a representative to explain to those kids why their season ended, you would have to heartless to give this explanation.

That's home field advantage. You got to know when to turn the lights off in a stressful situation. Best move I'll seen this year.

I've heard of having to beat the team and the umpire but never the lights.

That Coach needs a raise. Had to put alot of thought into that one.

Team on the edge of getting put out. That's better that a pick-off move.

That's home field advantage.  You got to know when to turn the lights off in a stressful situation.  Best move I'll seen this year.

I've heard of having to beat the team and the umpire but never the lights.

That Coach needs a raise.  Had to put alot of thought into that one.

Team on the edge of getting put out.  That's better that a pick-off move.

825675771[/snapback]

Don't be stupid! The lights were turned on in the second inning, long before there was any score and only about a quarter of them came on then. There is no way that you could plan something like that. How do you figure that a 1-1 game coming to bat with the top of the order is on the verge of being put out anyway. Don't hate the player, hate the game. There was nothing that Unicoi County could have done but agree to play the game the next afternoon (which they offered to do). The TSSAA made this decision,not Coach Baxter or Unicoi County.

It doen't matter when the lights came on it matters when they went off. The home teams was winning the game after the 5th inning and when the other team took the lead in the 6th the light went off and they had to covert back to the inning before the light when out and the home team was winning 1-0 and the Home team was the winner.

Big Bonus for the Coach. That's what coaches do. They thing of ways to win games.

Phenomenal.

It doen't matter when the lights came on it matters when they went off.  The home teams was winning the game after the 5th inning and when the other team took the lead in the 6th the light went off and they had to covert back to the inning before  the light when out and the home team was winning 1-0 and the Home team was the winner. 

Big Bonus for the Coach.  That's what coaches do.  They thing of ways to win games. 

Phenomenal.

825676513[/snapback]

In Major League Baseball (and a lot of other places), if the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the top of the incomplet inning, it is then a SUSPENDED Game, http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official...start_end_4.jsp

One of the reasons for this rule is to make sure no 'sprinkler system' malfunctions or other calamaties takes place to benefit to home team... see what I mean?

In Major League Baseball (and a lot of other places), if the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the top of the incomplet inning, it is then a SUSPENDED Game, http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official...start_end_4.jsp

One of the reasons for this rule is to make sure no 'sprinkler system' malfunctions or other calamaties takes place to benefit to home team...  see what I mean?

825676523[/snapback]

The old "Crash Davis" cancellation on Bull Durham...Loved it!

Personally, it should have been a suspended game. I hate that South Greene had to get taken out like that, and it is true that Coach Baxter offered to complete the game on Tuesday. It really bites for the South Greene players, especially the seniors that played their final game...

Personally, it should have been a suspended game.  I hate that South Greene had to get taken out like that, and it is true that Coach Baxter offered to complete the game on Tuesday.  It really bites for the South Greene players, especially the seniors that played their final game...

825676537[/snapback]

Yet another fine example of a just ruling by the TSSAA!!! No wonder we all love them sooo much!!! The decision stinks and everyone should let their TSSAA Rep. know how they feel about it (not that it will do any good protesting to the King and his Court).